United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
The description says that you can use Airfix vehicles in the game. Airfix offers several different scales of models. Which ones should be used for the game? Also, is there a way to get a list of the models that can be used? I'd like to maybe order some in advance of the game release, but I don't want to buy ones that don't have corresponding cards/stats supported in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S K
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
on the Modiphius website (www.modiphius.com/airfix.html) it says that it is 1/72 scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

At that scale, most plane and tank models will be 4 to 6 inches in length, so I hope the maps are very big!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Birch
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually planes are incorporated by cards in the introductory set, in the Collector's Edition we introduce model planes when you move on to the wargame table.

Vehicles are only 1 to a square and are just the right size with the squares being 82mm on a side (which is the right size for most airfix vehicles).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JoystickJunkies wrote:
Actually planes are incorporated by cards in the introductory set, in the Collector's Edition we introduce model planes when you move on to the wargame table.

Vehicles are only 1 to a square and are just the right size with the squares being 82mm on a side (which is the right size for most airfix vehicles).

Collector's Edition for me then... :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the intel, Chris!
I'll be interested in the Collector's Edition then. The aspect of the game that appeals to me the most is the incorporation of the models, which is a really cool idea.

So from reading the announcement on the official website, it sounds like the intro set should be released in April, with the Collector's Edition following a few months later. Calendar marked!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Birch
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys the pre-order is now live!

http://www.modiphius.net/collections/airfix-battles/products...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hunt
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will there be a pre-order for the collectors edition at a later stage then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone link to the models?

And are they pre-assembled and/or painted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jgortner wrote:
Can someone link to the models?

And are they pre-assembled and/or painted?

While there are no specific models designed to go with the game, the intent is to use Airfix figures and models.

The figures don't need assembly - just cut them off a sprue while the vehicles certainly do.

Nothing is painted as the models are designed for hobbyists who enjoy painting !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it designed to use one box of figures per side?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Birch
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
BrianJohnHunt wrote:
Will there be a pre-order for the collectors edition at a later stage then?

Quite likely Brian, we can't say when it will be ready yet - the advanced rules are starting playtest - our hope would be for GenCon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Birch
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at www.airfix.com - they're commonly available in most toy and model stores - certainly in the UK or Europe and often in US model stores or online.

You want the 1/72 or 1:76 vehicles and infantry. However you can use this with any popular figures - you could use bases of flames of war figures and use the wound markers in the box to mark casualities, you could use existing plastic figures or wargame figures from any collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Birch
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Psauberer wrote:
Is it designed to use one box of figures per side?

We've been using one box per side for playtests. A squad is typically 10 men, an MG team 4 (2 x MG's with 2 crew), a sniper unit 4. A box of airfix infantry usually gives you 48 figures in assorted poses. That's enough for 4 squads, a commander and maybe a support unit. The commanders have attachments which might be a veteran unit so this might be 8 figures. For larger games you'll want a couple of boxes a side for most flexibility. I tend to put all the German infantry throwing grenades and with MP40's in to my veteran unit, all the riflemen in to the grenadier unit but you can use any figures with any unit as you have small unit ID tokens that go with the figures that match with a token on the Force card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hunt
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will the collectors edition have everything that the Starter Edition has? I can't quite work that out from the web page.

Or, to put it another way, if I buy the starter box and then at a later stage the collectors edition, will I have duplicated anything?

I am now feeling very sad that my Mum threw away all my Airfix soldiers when I went to University!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Birch
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
BrianJohnHunt wrote:
Will the collectors edition have everything that the Starter Edition has? I can't quite work that out from the web page.

Or, to put it another way, if I buy the starter box and then at a later stage the collectors edition, will I have duplicated anything?

I am now feeling very sad that my Mum threw away all my Airfix soldiers when I went to University!

Hi the collector's edition is just a book collating all the rules and advanced rules, the introductory box has all the cards and dice and counters. You will be able to get just the collectors edition and a card deck set if you don't want the introductory box and you won't need the counter sheet if you're playing it without maps - ie as a normal wargame which the Collector's Edition gives you advanced rules for.

Don't worry Airfix is still super cheap and Ebay has a bountiful supply!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Leuftink
Germany
flag msg tools
aka the yellow shirt guy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will there a list like:
For the Allies "Infantery Squat" (10 man with 2 bazooka)we recoment Airfix Box A0815?

Want to start collecting & painting right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Birch
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi yes we will be doing a pre-order for the collector's edition too :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Birch
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Zukar wrote:
Will there a list like:
For the Allies "Infantery Squat" (10 man with 2 bazooka)we recoment Airfix Box A0815?

Want to start collecting & painting right now.

I would pick up Sherman and Panzer IV models as well as the German Infantry set (one should be enough) and either the US Marines or US Paratroopers sets again one is enough of either. For tanks we have scenarios with multiple tanks - typically 1-3 per side, maybe a Tiger on the German side.

There are guns and halftracks featured too. If you pre-ordered you should have got a link to the rules and scenarios which you can download to see the number of forces/units required, however some scenarios use points values so it's up to you what you choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.