BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Games with limited resources rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Sanson

Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone. I'm working on a game (very early development) and in it you explore via boat to find new land. You can then drop off workers to farm etc. but I want each hex to have a finite amount of times you can gather resources to promote further exploration and player interaction. I don't really have a good way to track this though, other than putting tokens on the hex which seems really cumbersome. Any thoughts or other games that use this that I could take a look at? Thanks!

ES

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Giving the tiles orientation and rotating them each time a resource is used works well.

Rivals for Catan and Nightfall use this in slightly different ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
If "putting tokens on a hex" sounds cumbersome, you might be on the wrong website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe I have seen games leave a die on locations to indicate the amount present there, but I can't recall which ones did this. It worked pretty well with d6s. I would not recommend dice with lots of faces because it makes the game vulnerable to even the slightest table bumps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sanson

Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, rotating the tile is a great idea! And in my case it would work well since the orientation won't matter (no roads or anything on the tiles). I'll check the games you listed as well. Thanks Trevor.

ES

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sanson

Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
If "putting tokens on a hex" sounds cumbersome, you might be on the wrong website.

Derry,
Well, putting say 6 tokens on every hex (over 250 at the moment) seems like a pain (and a lot of tokens to create). I've played plenty of games that have lots of tokens etc.

ES

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sanson

Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happymrdave wrote:
I believe I have seen games leave a die on locations to indicate the amount present there, but I can't recall which ones did this. It worked pretty well with d6s. I would not recommend dice with lots of faces because it makes the game vulnerable to even the slightest table bumps.

David,
I had thought about dice but with the large number of tiles I'm keeping them pretty small so that would take up most of the room.

ES

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
SkunkToe wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

Derry,
Well, putting say 6 tokens on every hex (over 250 at the moment) seems like a pain (and a lot of tokens to create). I've played plenty of games that have lots of tokens etc.

ES

Well now the game just sounds cumbersome

Antiquity "solves" the problem by not worrying about it until you actually go to farm a particular area. (I guess I can't hold the game up as a shining antithesis of fiddly or cumbersome, though.)

Twilight Imperium forces people to the center by making it more valuable to farm the resources there.

Some games make things progressively more expensive, so the guy who expands to farm more per turn is going to be able to progress faster naturally.

Some games like eclipse or clash of cultures reward interaction so players who expand to meet each other/npc enemies are rewarded over those who don't, to some extent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco DeLaurentis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe do sliders or clips like Betrayal at house on the hill does with their character tiles. Put numbers on the sides of he hexes and then move the sliders/clips around the edge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Smith
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure how realistic this would be based on numbers and how often you will see tiles only partially used up but you could try this:

* Each tile has a box for each time a resource can be harvested.
* Fill in with a unique cube color as it is harvested.
* Once a tile is used up, remove cubes, flip it over to show the tile without any resource boxes on it.

If tiles are exhausted pretty quickly rather than sitting around partially harvested for the whole game then you could keep the count of the resource harvesting cubes lower.

Of course not knowing a ton about the game that might be completely unrealistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sanson

Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
SkunkToe wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

Derry,

ES

Well now the game just sounds cumbersome

Antiquity "solves" the problem by not worrying about it until you actually go to farm a particular area. (I guess I can't hold the game up as a shining antithesis of fiddly or cumbersome, though.)

Twilight Imperium forces people to the center by making it more valuable to farm the resources there.

Some games make things progressively more expensive, so the guy who expands to farm more per turn is going to be able to progress faster naturally.

Some games like eclipse or clash of cultures reward interaction so players who expand to meet each other/npc enemies are rewarded over those who don't, to some extent.

Derry,
It IS cumbersome! That's the problem. I appreciate all the examples, I'll be doing some research!

ES

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sanson

Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smoth333 wrote:
Not sure how realistic this would be based on numbers and how often you will see tiles only partially used up but you could try this:

* Each tile has a box for each time a resource can be harvested.
* Fill in with a unique cube color as it is harvested.
* Once a tile is used up, remove cubes, flip it over to show the tile without any resource boxes on it.

If tiles are exhausted pretty quickly rather than sitting around partially harvested for the whole game then you could keep the count of the resource harvesting cubes lower.

Of course not knowing a ton about the game that might be completely unrealistic.

Don,
I'm not sure how quickly they will be "used up" as I'm just starting to work on it but your idea is pretty good. I have been contemplating have an "exhausted" side of the land tiles so that would work well together.

ES
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me tiny d6's would work. Shuffling & stacking tiles makes setup too long/cumbersome, and cubes might take up too much space. Rotating token only works for small ranges (like Castle Panic enemy lives) but could work. All of these approaches are vulnerable to "tablequake" but some are more resilient than others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sanson

Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crazybyzantine wrote:
For me tiny d6's would work. Shuffling & stacking tiles makes setup too long/cumbersome, and cubes might take up too much space. Rotating token only works for small ranges (like Castle Panic enemy lives) but could work. All of these approaches are vulnerable to "tablequake" but some are more resilient than others.

Agreed, I found some 5mm d6's on amazon for really cheap. They even have multiple colors if I wanted to match the die color to the resource. I think I'll start there and see where things go. Thanks for all the great feedback everyone!

ES

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.