Subject: Owain build(s) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
As a kind of follow-up to the Ulfgar and Jarl build posts, I thought I'd throw out a few builds for Owain Mortis. Owain is a hero that I believe may be slightly overlooked as a viable hero. With the right builds I think he can be pretty good.

As with Ulfy and Jarl, there are multiple ways to set him up. I'm going to show a few I've used, which are based on the type of scenario being played.

OP11
Owain [35]
Toughness [3-1=2]
Combat Reflexes [5-1=4]
Frost Battle Axe [4]
Helm [0]
Power Attack [4-1=3]
Warhorse [3-1=2]
Total [50]

Toughness (again) is almost mandatory for heroic type creatures. An extra health is an extra health.

Combat Reflexes helps against flyers, and adds an extra Heroic slot. Usually I try not to rely on using it early in the game, but it's nice knowing that you'll be able to attack when those pesky flyers get overly aggressive.

I've used several different weapons with him, and the lance certainly is ALWAYS a good choice. For OP11 I like the FBA. In our games we haven't seen any ancient dragons, which means no Arve. This means the chance of running into a cold resistant creature will be reduced somewhat. I like the extra die it gives for melee attacks, which puts Owain at a base six dice for melee attacks. Flame Tongue (fire-based attack) is also pretty good with him, but the chance of running into Balagos in this OP is probably a little greater than running into a cold-based dragon.

The Helm reduces the heroic slot costs, and add an additional heroic slot.

I like Power Attack with the axe because it helps offset not having the penetrating attack of the lance.

Finally I put him on a warhorse just to give him a little extra movement. I don't know whether this is really necessary, as you could easily put a different heroic upgrade on him and have him be just as effective.

The following is a general scenario (non-flying) build.

Owain [35]
Toughness [3-1=2]
Challenge [2-1=1]
Lance [3]
Helm [0]
Combat Reflexes [5-1=4]
Furious Blow [4-1=3] OR Power Attack [4-1=3]
Total [48]

Challenge is mandatory if he's not flying.
I've subbed in the lance for the axe, which makes Power Attack not quite as good (thus Furious Blow, which gives him a one time seven dice, armor penetrating attack).

Here's a flying build, which I think might even be a little more fun than the non-flying build:

Owain [35]
Toughness [3-1=2]
Giant Vulture [4-1=3]
Frost Battle Axe [4]
Helm [0]
Power Attack [4-1=3]
Total [47]

Putting Owain on a vulture opens up a few things that you can do. I've used the FBA, but certainly the lance would also shine (and probably a little more so here). I've used PA because of not having the lance, but if you use the lance you could get rid of PA and sub in a different heroic ability to suit your tastes. I'd probably use FB, but for whatever reason it's currently on my like list.

However you use him, Owain should certainly be a hero you look at using if you have him. His four attack dice stat puts him a little under the radar, but his special ability basically makes him a base five attack dice in melee.
That can be pretty good.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great article, as always, Kevin. Your heroic builds are going to come in real handy for OP 15 - 17, which strongly feature heroic builds.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Newell
Australia
Mayfield
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew Parks wrote:
Great article, as always, Kevin. Your heroic builds are going to come in real handy for OP 15 - 17, which strongly feature heroic builds.

Andrew

He's doing it again!

You don't need to worry about challenge on Owain if you just take a basic Hand of Fury with challenge. The Hand of Fury brings them down and Owain mops up. Team up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Captain Shagrat wrote:
Andrew Parks wrote:
Andrew

He's doing it again!
You don't need to worry about challenge on Owain if you just take a basic Hand of Fury with challenge. The Hand of Fury brings them down and Owain mops up. Team up!

Yep, he's such a tease.

The problem with relying on the Hand of Fury with Challenge would be that if the HoF gets killed before Owain can completely eliminate the flying threat, then Owain is stuck relying on his crossbow against the remaining flyer(s).

Usually when I'm putting together builds I try to make each creature as autonomous as possible. It's not always necessary, and sometimes you can't, but that's what I usually try to do.

I've started looking at builds other than dragon builds (which are my favorite to run), that can be "reasonably competitive" against dragon-heavy builds. It's not easy to do, and I still think an all dragon list is the best list you can run. We play at 150 points, and I haven't found anything yet that can consistently hang with a two named ancients build, or a one named ancient, two generic build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.