Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonahdel
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone!

I'm just really curious as to what you will be doing with your minis.
The poll is intended for people who are NOT selling them out.

Poll
Are you new to Miniature Assembly and Painting?
Yes
No
      144 answers
Poll created by Xairen

NOTE: Second poll assumes that Starting Survivors are being used.
Poll
What are you going to do with your minis?
1. What are you doing to your minis in terms of Assembly?
Assemble everything, choosing the best permanent pose for all 4 survivors per set.
Assemble 1 of each gender per set, reserve the rest for survivors that deserve immortalization.
Assemble all the bodies and magnetize arms/weapons.
Assemble & magnetize everything that can be magnetized.
Assemble nothing and reserve everything for survivors that deserve immortalization.
2. What are you doing to your minis in terms of Painting?
Not painting at all.
Colored paint.
Monochromatic paint.
      143 answers
Poll created by Xairen

I fall in the category of new to Assembly and Painting but going all out to magnetize weapons and paint. Would really like to see how this game opened up new hobbies for others
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John di Battista
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
I've been in the painting/modeling hobby for about 15 years now so not new.
I plan for some hefty pose conversions. The armor kit poses are a wee bit static for my liking. I'm probably going to take a jewelers saw to some knees and elbows to get the figures in more actiony poses. I'm also looking at getting some resin "Statue Face" type bases to use in addition to or to replace the face inserts from the base set.

In my experience magnetization works very well with mechanical stuff, robots, tanks, etc. When you try it with organics like arms the line separating the pieces tends to be very noticeable and unseemly.

I don't know the climate or attitude around here, but recasting some of the low count pieces from the armor kits for my own personal use is appealing. There are plenty of bits and weapons on the sprues, but with only four bodies I have a feeling a lot of the basic weapons and equipment will end up in my bit box until the day I die. Recasting a body or two to help stretch my kits to use 80-90% of the pieces included is too tempting to ignore.

I've done some OSL before and I love some of the monochromatic work people have done. I'm definitely going to do a high contrast light dark OSL theme, but It is going to be polychromatic. The pure black white reminded me too much of noir which is at odds with the sort of greek/roman themes I get from Kingdom Death. So polychromatic with lots of light and shadow for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonahdel
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be doing this color scheme.

Seems easy enough for a newbie and looks good. I'm assuming OSL is Object Source Lighting and this painting method has incorporated that as well.

http://kaboum.fr/wondercatpainting/2015/11/kingdom-death-mon...

This is still considered monochrome, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
painting everything, slowly.

Models get built when they're well-established as builds we like. Before that, everything's proxied. We have a few less common builds that still got minis since they were favorite characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fast and dirty painting with paying someone else to assemble them. If I can get reasonable results with some black base primer then a few layers of progressively lighter greys and whites, that's what I'll do. I like how my drybrushed phoenix worked out, so if I do some colors for the heroes, I'll likely use a muted color scheme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I have no idea. The rules of the game make permanent equipping of my minis nigh on impossible due to the extremely high casualty rate and number of times you WILL lose the game altogether and have to start over.

I may just make nice models to paint for fun and profit or maybe immortalize some survivor I like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Davis
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The black and grey palette for the board makes it actually okay to leave everything as grey plastic without it looking horrible.

Between Myth and Robotech, I have far too much other painting work to do to get to KD:M, and the fine detail on all the minis really demands spending a lot of time and effort on each one. If they'd been done in softer plastic with no assembly (a la Myth), I might have had time to consider painting... but again, by lantern light, everything should look greyish anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? Would think KD took priority over Myth- those minis were fine, but nothing special, and I got tired of painting clones really quickly...

Michael, yeah, WYSIWYG is pretty much impossible unless you magnetize. We've been filling out archetypes, though the only ones that were really easy to hit were katars and daggers on the lion set (due to the obvious synergy, which we've taken advantage of) and bow on rawhide (which we've deemed our "scout" build, which is where we most often stick the bow).

I've got no idea about handling fancier builds, since those appear so late in the game... Phoenix is, uh, melee stuff? Lantern is... a weapon or shield since we've never built part of a set?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AGN1964 AGN1964
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to answer the poll as best I could, but none of the answers really fit.

I am making up one new survivor for each game that is an exact match for one gear grid. The other three are "close enough" minis; our gear does not change that fast. So far this was worked well, in fact there are games we have not made a new mini because we can find existing minis that are very close.

I hope to paint some of them, but at the moment, the game is too much fun. We are playing not painting. I planned to paint dead heroes for the hall of fame, but have not even had time for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiding them unassembled in their box on top of a very high shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AGN1964 AGN1964
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can hide them for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I have no idea what to do with them.

I won't do anything right now other than sell them or use the 'high shelf' approach of the previous poster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am magnetizing EVERYTHING.
And probably will do a detailed guide
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.