1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: recommendations to get a 10 year old playing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joey Shabadoo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Only recently started playing games myself after colleagues got me hooked on Werewolf Inquisition.
Looking for recommendations for games that work with two or three players, including a ten year old boy
Ideally it would have a strong theme that would engage a youngster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Megan

Grand Rapids
Michigan
msg tools
King of Tokyo and Ticket to Ride are well loved by all of my nieces and nephews (ages 6-12).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wendingle wrote:
Only recently started playing games myself after colleagues got me hooked on Werewolf Inquisition.
Looking for recommendations for games that work with two or three players, including a ten year old boy
Ideally it would have a strong theme that would engage a youngster.

I have 2 boys that play games regularly. The best thing you can do is find themes that he enjoys, they typically will naturally gravitate towards that. But don't push too hard

They are a little older now, but we did play King of Tokyo , Prophecy , Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) , ect., ect. , ect.

There are a lot of great games and you should be able to find a theme that interests him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had a great time playing Cube Quest with my 8 year old son. We both had a blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I reccomend Memoir '44, a phenomenal game with incredible depth that both teaches a bit about history, and fundamental tactics and strategy for war games in general; playing Memoir '44 while using the great strategy guide really allows a person to make discoveries about the game, and all these results come from a simple rule set that is quite easy to understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Mice and Mystics - strong theme and cooperative play so that he doesn't worry about losing to adults.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with my 6-years old son and occassionally my wife graces our table with her presence.

These are games that might interest you, I put them in order, starting with our most favorite:

Lords of Waterdeep, a good game to start your journey to worker placement games. It is easy to learn, offer great interaction between players and you can always increase the complexity by adding the expansion: Skullport.

Black Fleet, a light pirate game. You control merchant ships, pirates and navies and try to capture/sunk/destroy other players' ships. Full of mischief and fun!

Galaxy Trucker, try build a spaceship from various machine parts then embark on a journey across the galaxy. You will meet pirates and slavers, got hit by meteorites and pick goods to deliver. The one with most money at the end of the game win!

Forbidden Island is a good cooperation game for family. When you are accustomed to it, try its big brother, Forbidden Desert, which offers greater challenge.

Escape: the Curse of the Temple is a real time coop game. Players try to get out from a cursed temple before the door closed, and you do this all simultaneously with other players making the game more exciting!

Pandemic, another coop game. In this game you play as scientists/medics try to save the world from various disease.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Shabadoo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have heard some good things about some of these from what I have read. I liked the idea of Last Night on Earth. Think my concern would be getting a game with a theme he would enjoy e.g. zombies, then putting him off for life because the game play is poor.
This was my first post, so thank you to everyone who took the time to read and reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian
Australia
North Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What 10 year old boy wouldn't love Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) or Relic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Borkman
Australia
Menangle
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All my family, from 9 up to 53 years old, love GUBS: A Game of Wit and Luck. Far and away my favourite game to play between the generations.

Tactical but wildly swingy. The kind of game where it doesn't hurt the young pride to lose, and where they have a good chance of beating experienced gamers from time to time.

A masterpiece.

Beyond that, we love Pick Picknic, a great bluffing, push-your-luck game with chickens, foxes and bunch of take-that. Great stuff.

LBB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nello Cozzolino
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Brascogames London U.K. www.brascogames.webs.com
mbmbmbmbmb

Alpen Express

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is 8 and his favorites are currently:

Libertalia

Formula D

Evolution

Ravenloft
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Rausch
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just got back from a big group thanksgiving weekend

Kids from 7 to 40 years old couldn't stop playing

Micro Monsters

Hours every day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My now-11 year old plays about anything.

Our current list of favorites:
Commands & Colors: Ancients (we both prefer this one over M44)
BattleTech
Race for the Galaxy
Talisman
Evolution
Ticket To Ride
Steampunk Rally
Carcassonne

Some others that have gone over well:
Munchkin (yes I know, but it's kind of aimed at the pre-teen boy mentality)
Splendor
Elasund
Smash Up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 10-year old son and I's favorite father-son game is Arcadia Quest, no question. We play others as well, but that's our go-to game.

He also likes Eight-Minute Empire: Legends and Rivet Wars: Eastern Front. As you can see, he enjoys direct conflict games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mav
United Kingdom
Wellingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think theme to begin with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games my youngest liked at 10 (he just turned 11):

Castle Panic (great with 2 or 3)
Munchkin
Smash Up
Sentinels of the Multiverse (great with 2 or 3)
King of Tokyo (3+ imo)
Apples to Apples (needs more than 3 though)
Love Letter (3+ imo)
Ticket to Ride (depending on board, great with 2 or 3)
Clue (better with more than 3)
Talisman (third edition) (I'm not a fan of playing this. Used to love 2nd ed, but either this edition or the game is just not for me anymore.)

Right now, he is enjoying:

Sorry! Sliders
Elder Sign
Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers
Sentinels of the Multiverse
Tsuro of the Seas
Get Bit!

He's been gravitating toward very light and quick games lately. Get Bit isn't great with 2. MtG:AotP is better with 2 than 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Y
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My boys (8 and 11) like King of New York, Car Wars, Munchkin, the Manhattan Project, and surprisingly, Eclipse. (The younger one doesn't quite grasp the strategy of the latter two games, though, and becomes a sort of dangerous wild card when he plays.) The 11 year old also likes Lords of Waterdeep and is willing to play Agricola.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter who just turned 9 in November has been playing with us for over a year. Ones she really enjoys are;

Black Fleet - there is a 2P variant (by the designer as it was originally a 2P game but the publisher changed it to 3+. Grey Elephant gaming has a 2P variant I like as well) but we mostly play 3P games
Sushi Go
Love Letter - if he's into super heroes there is a Batman version
Stone Age
Takenoko
Abyss
Wurfel Bohnanza
Roll For it
Mission Red Planet
Mice and Mystics
Splendor
Smash Up- we own every expansion except for the new munchkin and the Cthulhu one. We invested in the big geeky box
King of Toyko
Dixit - plus all the expansions. We had the base game first and we went through every card the first game we played so got the expansions when they were on sale on boxing day to add variety and so we were not seeing the same cards if we played again right away, which we like to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Toxic
United Kingdom
Belper
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently me and my boy are playing The Three Musketeers: The Queen's Pendants, Flash Point: Fire Rescue, and Castle Panic with the Castle Panic: The Wizard's Tower expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
I always suggest King of Tokyo for this, because it's really easy to explain and play, and there is enough luck in it that anyone has a chance of winning, even if they don't have a bigger sense of strategy.

Other suggestions for a first time gamer would be Flick Em Up, Ticket to Ride, Sushi Go!, or Love Letter. Flick Em Up is fun, but a bit pricy, and being a dexterity game, may not be a good indicator of whether or not your child will like games in general. The others are all good and straightforward, but may not draw them in with the theme.

There are tons of great games that a 10 year old can play, but if he/she hasn't played many games before, you may be better off with something simple. If something like King of Tokyo goes over well, you can move up to something more complicated. Smash Up, Lords of Waterdeep, X-wing, Zombicide, X-com, Flash Point, Formula D, or Mice and Mystics are all good choices to move into as a second game, depending on what theme that your child enjoys. All of them are fairly straightforward, can be taught fairly easily, and don't require a deep strategy in order to do well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ordinary Evidence
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 10 year old son and I play:
Boss monster
Boss monster 2
Shadows of Brimstone
Pathfinder the Adventure Card Game
Lord of the rings the Card Game

We like to play co-ops because we can roleplay together against the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Dunn
United Kingdom
Ashby-de-la-Zouch
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Certainly for my daughter (9 then, 11 now) it was Forbidden Island. It was great to see her go from basically being told what to do, to becoming the "Alpha Player"!

It stays challenging as there are multiple difficulty levels, plus you can tweak the rules to your liking once you see how the game works, plus there are some good rules variants (some with extra roles, abilities etc.) here on BGG. Less than £20 too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of good suggestions.

+1 Takenoko
+1 Carcassonne (I really like the Hunters and Gatherers version)
+1 Flashpoint

Elfenland
Tokaido

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.