Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reuben
Ireland
Kilcullen
Kildare
flag msg tools
mb
It's great being able to run into most rooms without worrying about alarms but what if you need to set off an alarm to distract a guard? The literal interpretation of the card would say no but thematically surely he has the ability to not hack if he wishes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, any reading of the wording would seem to clearly indicate no. So we have been playing it that way. I think it makes sense from a game balance point of view, otherwise the hacker is quite powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reubenagain wrote:
It's great being able to run into most rooms without worrying about alarms but what if you need to set off an alarm to distract a guard? The literal interpretation of the card would say no but thematically surely he has the ability to not hack if he wishes?

In my opinion, the Hacker is one of the stronger roles, and I prefer to interpret that text literally - i.e. he cannot choose to set off those alarms, or he'd be even stronger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Since, as clarified by Tim in another thread, it is your option as to whether you want to use hack tokens (on computers) or just allow the alarm to go off, I'd say the same thing should apply to the hacker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zenpunk wrote:
Since, as clarified by Tim in another thread, it is your option as to whether you want to use hack tokens (on computers) or just allow the alarm to go off, I'd say the same thing should apply to the hacker.

Tim also has said he's allowed the Hacker to optionally not hack.

I think that just makes the hacker stronger, and I already think he's one of the stronger characters.

I don't know if the hacker's Jammer ability needs to work the same way as the computer room hacks, though that does make some thematic sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Seems strange if he must hack those alarm systems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.