Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Baumgarten
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While sitting at my FLGS waiting for other people to show up, I decided to break out Dead Men and beat my head against a wall for a while (playing solo). I'm 0 for 7 since I started actually keeping track of wins and losses, with only 2 wins under my belt previously, resulting in a 10% win rate at best. I'm not even totally sure I was properly following the rules completely.

I've been trying to make it just a bit easier on myself, so I allow myself to select my starting characters and their items, otherwise following all other setup rules. I selected Flynn, Jade, and Lydia. I'd been using Whitebeard instead of Lydia, but felt like changing it up. My initial 4 dice on the starting board were all sub 3, a cause for celebration based on some of my other recent opening rolls.

I decided to just wipe out fires and deal with the mess of 1s and 2s that would result. It was an interesting first few rounds, with lots of guards and skeleton crew and few trap doors. I got three treasures in fairly short order, but a couple rooms exploded before I could get to them, making movement to some areas difficult. Then the numbers started linking up, as they often do. The yellow 0s turned into 1s, turned into 2s. The remaining guards were hiding from me, and powder kegs in remote corners of the ship were going off. Things didn't look promising.

The last 3 guards showed up in the final 4 tiles, meaning they were right by the newly-located second exit. Maybe this could work after all? I decided to forget about the half of the ship with the line of trap doors. Go for the treasure, go for the exit, and pray. I managed to defeat all three guards, and was just barely keeping the deck hands at bay. One treasure was in hand in the tile next to the new exit, and the other two were within two tiles. The die was no longer a factor. It was up to the cards. If deck hands were to spread, I'd survive. Nope. Deck hands emerged. There were 6 trap doors on the board and 5 deck hands in the pool.

Game ovah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gordon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely a tough co-op. Thanks for the recap. You've inspired me to get this to the table today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.