Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Epic Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: game finally "clicked" by going back to Quick Play format rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
So we tried quick play (deal out 30 random cards, play with them) in the print-and-play and it was a fiddly disaster with my horrible thin-paper illegible monochrome cards, so we never went back to it. Since we got the game we did demigods plenty of times, and one draft. Each time it was good, but it went on a little too long - especially with the draft.

Finally we went back to quick play this week and it was an instant hit. All our slow games before helped us enjoy these ones, because now we know the keywords, some of the spirit of the game, and timing issues. But the big thing was no setup time. Deal out the cards, pick up the deck (don't look through it) and start playing.

It flowed like a dream! As others have said, it's amazing how many combos you can get just out of a random hand. It's still possible to get AP about it but it's better just to play a bit faster and properly enjoy the game, than to rack your brains for the one "perfect" move unless that is how everybody wants to play.

Grats to WW on making this format playable - I wouldn't have thought it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy it very much as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a Magic player, building the deck through drafting is part of the fun to me. But I can see how the quick play through sealed deck can have great appeal. If this is your preferred method, more power to you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
emptyset wrote:
Being a Magic player, building the deck through drafting is part of the fun to me. But I can see how the quick play through sealed deck can have great appeal. If this is your preferred method, more power to you!

I think once we know the cards in the same way we know them in Star Realms - like, "Oh, that card!" rather than "Ok, how do these four printed powers interact, then?" - then drafting will be quite different and more appealing. For now, the difference between a 1hr+ game and 30m is significant in our household (our other three main games, also sub 1hr, are Star Realms, Roll for the Galaxy and Backgammon).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Magini
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest Open Draft to learn the cards and then Dark Draft which is SUPER FUN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
greylag wrote:
emptyset wrote:

I think once we know the cards in the same way we know them in Star Realms - like, "Oh, that card!" rather than "Ok, how do these four printed powers interact, then?" - then drafting will be quite different and more appealing. For now, the difference between a 1hr+ game and 30m is significant in our household (our other three main games, also sub 1hr, are Star Realms, Roll for the Galaxy and Backgammon).

I think what you are saying is very important. It is not that sealed is necessarily the best way to enjoy Epic. But, it is a relevant feat that it is a fun and viable option.

It gives the game range and reach that I had only experienced in MTG. MTG is a game hat is very simple to learn, pick up and play. Sample decks, intro decks or a casual deck handed to you by your friend are usually easy to grasp and can lead to a ton of fun against another deck within the same format. Competitive MTG usually deep and complex.

Sealed Epic is also very simple. It is simpler than MTG and also leads to fun, generally balanced games. The fact that you don't need to prebuild is a point on its favor since it leads to variety (playing the same 2 decks of Magic gets old with relative speed). These features make the game newbie friendly and could help making the game more accessible and popular.

Draft and constructed should lend the game the needed depth for competitive play. This could impact in Epic's longevity.

Very positive first impressions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nixon
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
I find that using the pre-built decks to be the best quick play experience, usually the two colour ones (the demigod decks without using the demigods) but mono colours work alright as well (but slightly lower on my preferance because the loyalty mechanic becomes a trivial non-decision with a single colour.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Started off using the Sealed (deal random 30) method for a couple of games, then put together the Demigod decks and distributed the 20 KS cards even among them (paying attention to costs and what sort of went with whose theme), will be sticking with those decks and using the Demigods for the foreseeable future.

Any word on expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
30-sealed is the get go for initial teaching AND if you know the game VERY WELL. If you both know the game - every card - some interactions. You can have a lot of fun, despite not perfect balance, in a short lunch-break game.

For learning in between (try 10-30 games) it can be really bad IMHO.

The pre-constructed decks (demi-gods) really sucked. Mostly drove away my GF from the game because white/green was so slow and she was always hitting a wall with red/blue I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Magini
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Started off using the Sealed (deal random 30) method for a couple of games, then put together the Demigod decks and distributed the 20 KS cards even among them (paying attention to costs and what sort of went with whose theme), will be sticking with those decks and using the Demigods for the foreseeable future.

Any word on expansions?

Try Draft Format. You will get different cards (which means different combos) every time and the meta game is really really fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly doubt I'll bother with Drafts. Don't want to spend more time setting up the game than playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Magini
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Honestly doubt I'll bother with Drafts. Don't want to spend more time setting up the game than playing it.

Well, draft is quick (10 minutes) once you know the cards and you can "save" (sometimes I get photo of my deck too) the decks for several future games. To me Draft is a wonderful format to enjoy Epic.

In our experience the game lenght (we always do 3 games in a row) is way longer than draft time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.