Popular Tags: [View All]
Ferdinand Köther
Germany
Bochum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been some questions about this, and sometimes I think I've got it and then again not ...

If water can flow "downhill" only, how could the top hex (center column, top of 4 hexes) ever be filled with water? From the starting hex it will always flow "uphill" into that hex.

Am I right? Probably not, and the way we played it during out first session tonight it worked. But then, what is wrong?

Somewhat confusing, flow of water would need some better explanation in the rules.

Like the example on page 11 - I see no way that unfinished paddy top right (3 hexes) could ever get some water. Is it really just wasted land?

Thanks for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lucyfer wrote:
There have been some questions about this, and sometimes I think I've got it and then again not ...

If water can flow "downhill" only, how could the top hex (center column, top of 4 hexes) ever be filled with water? From the starting hex it will always flow "uphill" into that hex.

Am I right? Probably not, and the way we played it during out first session tonight it worked. But then, what is wrong?

Somewhat confusing, flow of water would need some better explanation in the rules.

Like the example on page 11 - I see no way that unfinished paddy top right (3 hexes) could ever get some water. Is it really just wasted land?

Thanks for any help.

I was massively confused about this, too, until I decided I was overthinking it.

My confusion came from this part of page nine:

Quote:
At the same time, the player may transfer water from a higher paddy (closer to her reservoir) to a lower paddy by having it “flow” through her gates. This water can never travel “uphill”— i.e., from a paddy to one that is closer to the reservoir.

But I don't think "uphill" means "closer to the top of the board." Basically, I think the intent of this section is to say when you let water out, it must flow away from the reservoir. The layout of your paddies can weave back and forth, up and down the board. But the water must follow the path of the paddies in a single direction--it can never go in reverse ("uphill").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Seifert
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's probably easier to say each paddy has an entrance gate and an exit gate, and water may only flow through exit gates. The direction on your board (up, down, left, right) is irrelevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Köther
Germany
Bochum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks you both for your answers so far, they make sense and that's basically the way we played it.
Maybe some comment from Philip or the guys from APE will follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brusky
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
golden_cow2 wrote:
It's probably easier to say each paddy has an entrance gate and an exit gate, and water may only flow through exit gates. The direction on your board (up, down, left, right) is irrelevant.

Yes, that's right. Water can flow through each exit gate only once. You can 'snake' the water through your paddy - it just can't re-enter a paddy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Köther
Germany
Bochum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this confirmation, Kevin!
Ferdi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip duBarry
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, how you make your paddy creates the "higher and lower" of your board. You have to use your imagination a little bit. In retrospect, that might not be the best way to go about explaining this part of the game.

The main thing we are trying to avoid is having a player let water flow "backwards" through previous paddies. It's supposed to be a one-way street.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Köther
Germany
Bochum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to you as well, Philip!
Also liked (and still do) your Kingdom of Solomon, maybe you remember. You do wonderful unbalanced and fierce games, I really mean this to be a compliment!
Rules could've been somewhat better in both cases, though . But great games they are!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very happy with the components, but if I were to pimp this out it would be elevated terrain. Oh! Maybe I can use tiles from Tikal!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.