Hide
14 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Newbie With A Few Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry Vandal
msg tools
First I'd just like to say hello to everybody and thanks in advance for any help.

I just picked up my Marvel Legendary base set a few months back. Presently what I have is that and Paint the Town Red. I'm looking to get the other expansions after Christmas. I don't have many people to play with, so having a board game I can sit back and play by myself is appealing. I've enjoyed the few games I've taken the time to sit down and play and it's the most fun I've had playing a Marvel card/board game since Overpower.A few questions though.

1) For the purpose of deck construction, each hero has 14 cards. I assume that the breakdown I'm given of 5,5,3,1 can't be altered. Meaning I can't grab another copy of Thor's "UR". Not that I was aiming too hunt down copies of cards. Just want to verify.

2)I've seen a listing of some promos like En Sabu Nur and Dr. Strange. Is there a site I can find these at a decent price? And is there an available list of those promos. I've seen a few on ebay, especially those released with the Marvel 3D set, but I'm assuming those are all reprints with new art...and not actually promos.

3)Is there a tourney scene for the game? Cleveland isn't really a beacon for tourney, just curious.

4) Cards like Great Responsibility Spider-Man read: Reveal the top card of your deck. If that card costs 2 or less, draw it. If it does't, where does the card go?

5)Despite the release of new bystanders, does the number of those in the bystander deck remain the same. If so (and I think there was a thread on this, but I was a bit lost), what is the accepted ratio. I assume I can't have 30 Stan Lee's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jerry, welcome!

1) the game is balanced as is, and the "rarity" is more of a Frequency than a rarity, meaning that the game is designed to have that many copes of each of those cards. So no, you shouldn't worry about getting other copies of the cards.

2) the En Saba Nur and Dr. Strange, Venom, etc. are just alternate art. The Marvel 3D cards are unique sets, and they have implied they will be available later in other sets, but likely with different artwork. Don't worry about the promos for this game, they are completely unnecessary, and I am not only a huge fan of this game, but a completist, so let that guide you as it will.

3) not really, but check out the Legendary Online League and the various challenges and scenarios set up on these very forums!

4) revealed cards always return to where they were revealed from unless otherwise stated.

5) you can't have 30 Stan Lees, no, but in general the most of a special bystander you'll want/have will be 4, so that might be a good place to stop with Stan Lee, that said, with the other bystanders added in (see Dark City for example) just add them into the bystander deck.

I highly recommend Dark City if you play solo a lot. It is a key element of that, introducing advanced solo mode.

Welcome and let us know if we can help further!

I also recommend the FAQ on the main page for Legendary to answer a lot of questions.

Cheers,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the game, Jerry. I'll do my best to answer these questions. (while someone who is faster at typing than I am probably does the same before I finish)

1) You are correct, you do not alter the 14 card (5/5/3/1) breakdown for each hero. Granted, if you are playing by yourself, you can really do whatever you want, but I prefer the official rules, as that is the way the game has been playtested and is intended to be played.

2) The only place I know of to get the promos is eBay. ALL of the promos are simply alternate art cards. En Sabah Nur has a different name also, but it is functionally identical to the Apocalypse card in the Dark City expansion. For a list of them, I turn to BGG's own Travelsized

TravelSized wrote:
3D inserts aside, here's what I know of.

En Sabah Nur (sp? Alternate art and name for the Apocalyspe Mastermind top card, available at conventions and the Dice Tower 2014 kickstarter)

3 Joe Jusko Masterpeice promos (alt art for Green Goblin villain in Spider Foes, and Symbiote Spider-Man, and Hulk rares, previously available in the BGG store)

4 VS style Villains Commanders (top level Commander cards for the Villains Set Commanders, given away at GenCon 2014)

Black & White Venom ally cards (from Villains set, not sure how many, maybe 1 of each of the 4 different cards, GenCon 2014)

Black and White Mysterio ally rare (from Villains set, limited quantities were available from the Dice Tower 2015 kickstarter)

Since he wrote that, they have added alternate art Mastermind cards for the 4 Secret Wars Masterminds (Madelyne Pryor, Zombie Green Goblin, Wasteland Hulk, and Nimrod) and a Zombie Venom Villain. All of those were available as bonuses for preordering/ordering from the Upper Deck Store.

The Marvel 3D set has 3 sets of alternate art heroes (Black Widow, Hulk, and Deadpool) but also some new cards (Howard the Duck and Man-Thing heroes, Spider-Slayer and Circus of Crime henchmen, and Fortune Teller, Bulldozer Driver, Double Agent of SHIELD, Photographer, and Stan Lee bystanders). Upper Deck representatives have said that those new cards will be available in some way, at some point in the future, but no details have ever emerged about how and when. eBay, again, is the only way to get those.

3) No official tournaments that I am aware of. It would be a local thing, up to stores in your area. Some folks run unofficial "leagues" here on this message board that you can play in as a solo player.

4) Whenever a card asks you to reveal something, you always put it back where it came from unless the card tells you otherwise. So with the Spider-Man cards, they either get drawn (if they cost 2 or less) or go back on top of your deck.

5) There are (I think) 87 bystanders total, not counting the 3D cards. The official word from Upper Deck (in the Villains rulebook) is to play with all of your Bystanders shuffled together in a giant pile. This means from the base set, Dark City, Villains base set, and Secret Wars. They have not made an official statement on the 3D bystanders, but the general consensus is, if you want to buy them, play with 1 Stan Lee, and 3 each of the others. The Villains set came with 3 Rock Star bystanders, but was only supposed to have 2. I personally play with all 3, because once you've got 80+ bystanders in the stack, having one extra Rock Star doesn't seem like it would make much of a difference.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the game, and that you plan on getting the rest of expansions. If you're not getting them all at once, DEFINITELY start with Dark City. The original game isn't really complete until Dark City gets into the mix. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davinia
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Welcome to Legendary.

I don't have much to add as Jacob and Mike seem to have covered it but what I will say is you should download the Legendary Unofficial FAQ Errata Clarifications which may help you. It doesn't cover all expansions but it's very useful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah Kautzman
United States
Marysville
California
flag msg tools
Last I saw, it was officially stated in no uncertain terms that the 3D cards would absolutely NOT ever be available in any other format? It was stated on these forums. I'd have to find the thread, but yeah, it was stated pretty matter-of-factly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KKND wrote:
Last I saw, it was officially stated in no uncertain terms that the 3D cards would absolutely NOT ever be available in any other format? It was stated on these forums. I'd have to find the thread, but yeah, it was stated pretty matter-of-factly.

No, they will be released somewhere, just not in an expansion. That's the official company line.

Also... Promo Zombie Venom?! Sonuva... That's the first I've heard of that. It didn't come with the promo set from GenCon. Pics?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
KKND wrote:

No, they will be released somewhere, just not in an expansion. That's the official company line.

I thought that they didn't say 'not in any expansion ever', just 'not in Secret Wars'.

And that however they end up being released they will be available to everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
Also... Promo Zombie Venom?! Sonuva... That's the first I've heard of that. It didn't come with the promo set from GenCon. Pics?

http://upperdeckstore.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=legendary&...

Mouse over any Marvel Legendary game/expansion. You always wanted 2 Paint the Town Reds, right?? Maybe this is my chance to replace that Spider-Woman I have with the printing error on the back...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Welcome to the forums! You'll have good luck here with your questions. Some people have gotten zapped for a couple questions, but it seems to be pretty rare. Most of us want more people to play this and the best way to do that is by encouraging our newcomers.

Anyway, on to your questions.

1) All heroes AKA Allies (Villains' sets for heroes) have 14 cards and they come with those rarities. Remember that since that since this isn't a collectible card game, there's no point to grabbing a bunch of say, Berserker Rage cards. If you did something like that it would probably get in the way of recruiting cards, since most rare cards are really expensive and would just sit in the Headquarters while no one could recruit them.

I can't speak intelligently about promo cards, so I'll skip #2.

3) There isn't any formal tournament play, but this website and probably other sites have leagues for organized play. Check them out.

4) Like others said, if a card doesn't say what happens to a revealed card, it's replaced to wherever it came from.

Since you're a newcomer, there are a few things we can tell you about that you'll probably find useful or enjoyable. The short version is to check out the File section, and do so thoroughly.

First and foremost, the Errata and FAQ files are right on this site, and are packed with common questions. You'll almost certainly find something helpful in them.

There's also a Custom Card database in there, which is full of homemade cards for just about anybody you could want in the game. Most of the custom cards are made by people who are good with photoshop and similar programs and know the characters, so the custom cards are very high quality.

To decide what to buy and what not to buy for expansions, there's a text version of cards that's sorted by expansion. You'll find out what is in each set, and can decide which expansions do and don't interest you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Vandal
msg tools
Again, thanks guys for answering my questions, the welcoming and the added comments. It's been a while since I've been new to a game. I've played Magic, Overpower, UFS, WWE Raw Deal, but those are all older and or defunct games now. This is the first board game I've played of this nature since, so I appreciate the information, especially considering I'm sure it's all been covered before.

As for promos, I've seen the Venom Zombie on ebay. I'm eventually getting the Joe Jusko alt cards. Those look great. And now knowing that Howard the Duck is actually only in the 3D set at the moment (his book is excellent by the way) I'll have to keep a look out for a deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I suggest you only go after chase cards if you have an oversupply of money.

With Howard the Duck, a worker at Upper Deck has already disclosed that Howard is in Secret Wars 2, and those cards have art different from the 3D cards but with the same text. I think (I'm not sure because I honestly don't care) that Man Thing's cards will get the same treatment. I don't know if the Circus of Crime or bystanders from the collectible box will come out this way.

If you absolutely must have the special art, by now those pricey cards are online, so you can make fake ones by printing the image and taping or gluing them to some other cards. If you use card sleeves (and almost everyone here thinks you should), there will be no difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsallak wrote:
I suggest you only go after chase cards if you have an oversupply of money.

With Howard the Duck, a worker at Upper Deck has already disclosed that Howard is in Secret Wars 2, and those cards have art different from the 3D cards but with the same text. I think (I'm not sure because I honestly don't care) that Man Thing's cards will get the same treatment. I don't know if the Circus of Crime or bystanders from the collectible box will come out this way.

If you absolutely must have the special art, by now those pricey cards are online, so you can make fake ones by printing the image and taping or gluing them to some other cards. If you use card sleeves (and almost everyone here thinks you should), there will be no difference.

The Howard the Duck in Secret Wars Volume 2 is NOT the Howard the Duck available in the Marvel 3D packs.

Howard in SWV2 is part of the Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars villain group. In the Marvel 3D cards he is a playable Hero with the standard 14 card deck.

Upper Deck has confirmed that the cards in the Marvel 3D packs will be made available at some point in the future, however it will not be in a retail expansion. So if you are a completionist and can't wait an undetermined amount of time for them to somehow be made available (consensus on here is that they will be available online via the BGG store or at Upper Deck's store), then your only option is to buy them at crazy markups off of places like eBay or actually buy the cases of cards and open all of the packs until you get enough for a full set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
My bad. It must have been someone speculating that the Howard the Duck was the 3D one with new art and same text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornelius Minor
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jerry, everyone has answered your questions, but I just wanted to echo their welcome to this community. Much of the fun of this game has been amplified by interacting with the amazing people who assemble here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.