Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] pirate [+] [View All]
Ammon Livingston
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I own some Pirates of the Spanish Main. The ships are very cool looking. (I'm a sucker for a game with visually appealing components.) The game is not much fun. Perhaps, if I bought more it would be more fun, but I'd like to find a game that's fun out of the box.

I've come across Sword and Skull at Toys R Us and the board reminded me too much of Monopoly to take a chance on it. I've since read reviews on here, and my original fear may be unwarranted, but mixed reviews still have me wary. I already have a friend that owns a copy, so I'll probably just play it with him when chance permits before making a determination whether or not to buy.

Any recommendations?

I'd rather not hunt down anything OOP if it can be helped. Some things I might enjoy would be light strategy, perhaps co-op with some friendly backstabbing, varying gameplay, and/or perhaps some role-playing elements (leveling, gaining new abilites, access to better weapons, ships or crew, etc.). Historical accuracy is definitely secondary.

Thanks for your help, mateys. arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Arrrh! Looking for a Pirate Game that Doesn't Have Scurv
If you can wait...

Blackbeard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait about a month and pick up Winds of Plunder from GMT Games. I got to play a prototype and it's excellent.

Also Blackbeard is being redone, and is on the GMT P500 list right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pirate's Cove isn't too bad. I think it's a little light, but maybe that's just me. It does has 'Arrrgh factor' though, that's for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmbmbmb
You might enjoy Rum & Pirates. It definitely has light strategy, and is well themed, I think. It does take place all on land, which might not appeal. I think the game is a whole lot of fun. Oh, and the components are truly top-notch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Merchants and Marauders is also coming and looks like it has EVERYTHING a pirate could want.

Sid Meier's Pirates! is also ....FINALLY .... in playtest, and is looking like great fun. Should be available in late '07.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmbmbmb
I should add that even though Rum & Pirates doesn't have the highest ratings here on BGG, A lot of the lower ratings seem to be from people who would prefer heavier strategy. Since you specified light strategy, I expect that you'd like it more than some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sifu
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Check out Plunder. A 2nd edition was recently released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael crow
United States
minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Don't waste any money on Sword and Skull. It is easily the worst pirate game I have ever played. Atleast i only paid $15 for it, local game store couldn't get rid of the things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Budley wrote:

Sid Meier's Pirates! is also ....FINALLY .... in playtest, and is looking like great fun. Should be available in late '07.

Whoah... this is major news here. You aren't jerking us around are ya' Glenn? Gar, it'll be a quick trip to the boneyard for ye if ye are.arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thompson
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Treasure Fleet

Treasure Fleet is a really fun pirate card game with a lot of tactical depth and bluffing. Our gaming group loves it. We play it every week.

I think it is available at:
www.shipoffoolsgames.com

and probably on E-bay as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Poulos
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
I guess there's more to starting a game company than just having a name... :(
badge
What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, a gaming machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this gamer does is sleep and eat and place little meeples, and that's all.
mbmbmbmbmb
fizzix wrote:
Budley wrote:

Whoah... this is major news here. You aren't jerking us around are ya' Glenn? Gar, it'll be a quick trip to the boneyard for ye if ye are.arrrh

this IS major news! i, for one, am not letting myself believe. i've been hurt too many times in the past...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I haven't played any pirate boardgame that I really liked. I say to stick to playing the Pirates! computer game. You get to do the best parts of a pirate game which are sail around, find treasure, steal from merchant ships and swordfight. I think any board game that includes all that stuff and doesn't reduce it to random factors (highest die roll wins the swordfight) will take a long time to play and probably have a lot of downtime for other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcrow wrote:
Don't waste any money on Sword and Skull. It is easily the worst pirate game I have ever played. Atleast i only paid $15 for it, local game store couldn't get rid of the things.

Ditto. I picked it up for about $20, and it wasn't even really worth that reduced price. It's even worse than Pirate's Cove, and I really disliked that game.

Sadly, there don't seem to be many good pirate-themed games. Sword & Skull is terrible. Pirate's Cove isn't much better. Mutiny is a really poor auction game. Most other pirate games (outside of buying into a miniatues ruleset) are for kids.

I have high hopes for the new version of Blackbeard. I've heard enough good things about the old version that I put myself on the P500 list. I don't know what are the chances of it being released any time soon, though.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ballinger
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty lightly themed, but thanks to my Secret Santa I've been playing a lot of Loot. The games go by very quickly, and everybody just loves shouting like a pirate.

This is not a game for kids only. There are definitely things to think about. I find it also plays best with 3.

Edit: grammar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thniff wrote:
It's pretty lightly themed, but thanks to my Secret Santa I've been playing a lot of Loot. The games go by very quickly, and everybody just loves shouting like a pirate.

Bah! How could I have forgotten Loot? Loot is a great card game.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Pirate's Cove for a light, fun Pirate game with some strategy. There can definitely be a little backstabbing by trying to prevent people from fixing their ships, etc. Great components, and several ways to earn victory points. In our group, the wives especially liked it. I find one benefit to be that you (mostly) don't decide who to attack in advance. Everyone selects their destination in secret, and then if you end up at the same island, you fight it out. That tends to circumvent the "Why are you attacking me?" syndrome that can happen when playing with spouses (men or women).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sifu wrote:
Check out Plunder. A 2nd edition was recently released.

I second this recommendation - check it out!

Also, since your friend has Sword and Skull already, it couldn't hurt to try it. You never know, you just might like it. It isn't a great game, I'll admit, but it's light, easy, fun, and may go over well especially with some non-gamers.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Start stashing yer loot laddie, ye'll be able to buy "Merchants and Marauders" in a couple of months. It looks lovely and the rules look quite interesting. Great bits, too. Looking forward to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilder
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not really a pirate game, but Entdecker has sea exploration and those Pirates of the Spanish Main boats make a pretty replacement for the little wooden boat that come with it. Of course, they also make a pretty replacement for Pirate's Cove and any other game with little boats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
My game group love's Pirate's Cove.

And Pieces of Eight is interesting in play, and the coins are very cool even when not playing the game. =-) But you need a couple of sets to play with other people. It is a good game to play while in line at big movie openings etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Glenn and Barry

Ammon... For more info on Merchants & Marauders check out:

BGG: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/25292
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
AbeLincoln wrote:
fizzix wrote:
Budley wrote:

this IS major news! i, for one, am not letting myself believe. i've been hurt too many times in the past...

Yaaarrrr...
I be dead calm serious...

Pirates! suffered stormy seas for a couple of years. I were never happy with the prototype designs (until now).

The designs were always scurvy in some way or other (either too Ameritrash-y and long, or too Euro-trash-y and lacking in theme and Piratey goodness. The new design is working well and should offer tons of Pirate theme and story, but also tight, nail-biting Euro mechanics, and 60 - 90 minute playtimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard H. Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I would certainly endorse your waiting for the new BLACKBEARD (probably out later this year. However, it may not be what you want, as it does have Scurvy . . .specifically a rule (card0 covering that affliction (See below). In the meantime, i would recommend SEA ROVERS . . .lots of flavor and great artwork..

Scurvy [5] This may be played against any Pirate Ship not In Port. Place a Scurvy marker on that ship and decrease the Crew Loyalty level by one. Any Hostage on board at the time dies (but not any brought on afterwards). Every time the Player who controls that Pirate Ship has a Player Turn, at the start of that Turn, he further reduces the Crew Loyalty Levels by one, until that Pirate enters port and undertakes Recovery, at which time the Scurvy marker is removed. Anti-Pirate Action. This card may be held In Hand.
Timing and Effect: The card is played at any applicable time during a Pirate’s Action. It is resolved the instant it is played, before anything else can be undertaken.
Anti-Pirate Card
Actions (2) OR Event

RHB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cartagena is light to medium strategy. Doesn't have many of the other things you are looking for but is pirate themed and quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.