Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

504» Forums » Variants

Subject: Ideas for expansions and scenarios? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was curious what people had in mind for...:
1. Expansions: What way could the game go to be able to facilitate expansions? What would you add to the game?
2. Scenarios: Considering the ways the game goes, do you see any scenarios (think what Catan does), where you could end up loosely modeling maybe actual historical events, or have something that is maybe a bit more infused with themes, using a base XYZ set of rules for the game?

Any thoughts here?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My idea for an expansion is one that you are not allowed to implement until after you have played all 504 games.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
My idea for an expansion is one that you are not allowed to implement until after you have played all 504 games.


What is you like one of the 9 modules and want to do games around it? Like, work up an 18xx aspect to the game, and add more stuff? Or, the wargame element and add more unit types?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
docreason wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
My idea for an expansion is one that you are not allowed to implement until after you have played all 504 games.


What is you like one of the 9 modules and want to do games around it? Like, work up an 18xx aspect to the game, and add more stuff? Or, the wargame element and add more unit types?


There will not be an expansion for this game. Trust me. The entire point of this game in the first place was extreme replay ability with a single purchase. An expansion would be akin to admitting the replay value was not as high as originally thought.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Carlile
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
What was the boat about then. No doubt as a previous thread suggested...we will be informed!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
There will not be an expansion for this game. Trust me.

That seems a bold claim! Never unestimate the ability of a popular game to spawn expansions!

Quote:
The entire point of this game in the first place was extreme replay ability with a single purchase. An expansion would be akin to admitting the replay value was not as high as originally thought.

I don't see that as true, but even so, a different "not-a-new-module" kind of expansion could be possible, like the Power Grid: The Robots to add AI players, for example.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
docreason wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
My idea for an expansion is one that you are not allowed to implement until after you have played all 504 games.


What is you like one of the 9 modules and want to do games around it? Like, work up an 18xx aspect to the game, and add more stuff? Or, the wargame element and add more unit types?


There will not be an expansion for this game. Trust me. The entire point of this game in the first place was extreme replay ability with a single purchase. An expansion would be akin to admitting the replay value was not as high as originally thought.


If a game sells well, it gets expansions, or additional content. It isn't just if a game needs it, that it gets it, but whether or not the game sells well enough to do it. Expansions are a way to make money.

Ok, how about scenarios, if you are opposed to expansions? This is a bunch of preset boards, with their own rules?

I am looking to pick the game up and I can think of a number of possible places (even now) where it could use additional content. I even think of two new additional mechanics (let me know if they are in there) like on player voting/politics (not just majorities, but negotiating) and also trading (players exchange).

The game also lists that it is 2-4 players. Someone requested solitaire. How about more for 5 or 6 players? Coming up with scenarios/games for 5-6 players, and also some solitaire, AT LEAST.

Doing an expansion is a way to say that 504 could be extended even further. If there are types of games it really can't do now, that is room for the game having it. Also, if 504 is weak on a certain type of game, adding more material could beef up some aspect. Like they say 2 hours here. Why not have a full blown Civ style game with it that could go 4 hours? That would have more bits.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, how about some cooperative games? Are there any in 504?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
There will not be an expansion for this game. Trust me.

That seems a bold claim! Never unestimate the ability of a popular game to spawn expansions!

Quote:
The entire point of this game in the first place was extreme replay ability with a single purchase. An expansion would be akin to admitting the replay value was not as high as originally thought.

I don't see that as true, but even so, a different "not-a-new-module" kind of expansion could be possible, like the Power Grid: The Robots to add AI players, for example.


If it gets an expansion I apologize for my comment. But sometimes there is already enough stuff in the box, and I think this is an example. It's a huge box crammed with components and an already lengthy set up time. Enough is enough.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
If it gets an expansion I apologize for my comment. But sometimes there is already enough stuff in the box, and I think this is an example. It's a huge box crammed with components and an already lengthy set up time. Enough is enough.

FWIW I agree that it's silly that people are already asking for expansions to 504, and I'm sure I won't feel the need for an expansion any time soon.

I'm just saying that the reality of boardgame marketing is that if a game is popular then it will probably get expansions (regardless of whether they are needed/useful).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiwaz Tyrsfist
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Yay, Overtext bought with supporter GG!
badge
Supporter #3170 - I hope the bonus gets high enough that I can buy GeekBadge Overtext!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A fully developed three part module would require lots of play testing, to ensure that each part meshes with each part of all 9 other modules. I'm not saying you'd have to play all 720 worlds to try it out, but probably 15 or so, to try it with each other world and in each TOP location?

BUT, what about a small expansion that ONLY goes in TOP.III

The Boat is there because the die was made and with the parts laid out there was a dead spot on one punchboard that matched the movement tokens and privilege price token. Rather than leave a blank white token they made a boat to fill space. How about Module BOAT.III, uses the existing boat as the Blue players boat, adds a boat for each other player and the 5th stock company (4 boats) and an expansion for the majority board (water tiles).

Boats, depending on the TOP.I and TOP.II, would allow you to move across water, place settlements or factories on water, etc.




I consider a LARGE expansion (a full module with three parts) very unlikely. I even consider a Small expansion (like the single part TOP.III only idea I just wrote out) fairly unlikely. BUT, I do consider it very likely that we will see at least some small promos, like individual new privilege cards, or a punch board with like 6 sand/cactus goods so the desert produces something, or some such.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
russ wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
There will not be an expansion for this game. Trust me.

That seems a bold claim! Never unestimate the ability of a popular game to spawn expansions!

Quote:
The entire point of this game in the first place was extreme replay ability with a single purchase. An expansion would be akin to admitting the replay value was not as high as originally thought.

I don't see that as true, but even so, a different "not-a-new-module" kind of expansion could be possible, like the Power Grid: The Robots to add AI players, for example.


If it gets an expansion I apologize for my comment. But sometimes there is already enough stuff in the box, and I think this is an example. It's a huge box crammed with components and an already lengthy set up time. Enough is enough.


The thing is that, there may be enough of an engine here, as far as a game system goes, that someone may want to do a more thematic scenario off it, or develop an aspect of the game, that may be underdeveloped. Think of what is done with the computer game Civilization and mods.

I was also thinking there may be room for more types of bits to expand this one area, to be able to add an extra level of polish to one world, and do something off it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonatan dyre
Denmark
flag msg tools
to be honest I don't think it's a reasonable way to go , to think in expansions and scenarioes. I find it much more needed to tweak and polish the rules to make better games out of the mechanics the game already have

As example roads and racing, does sometimes makes one of the them superfluous, because the rule for in the hurry and the rule for making roads doesn't always interact well. If it's and liability to build roads or be in a hurry the mechanics needs a twist to work. That kind of improvment is what i think the game would benefit most from.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
An expansion to allow a fifth player probably wouldn't be far-fetched. But as far as actually expanding the number of playable worlds, I don't think there's a reasonable option, except maybe finding a way to add a TOP.IV that is comparable to the impact of adding a TOP.III.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I also focus on the ideas of scenarios? I know the focus of the chat has been on expansions, but how about preset boards, and set up that is less random, more refined than the regular game? Maybe it gets a few variant rules added for the scenario.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I'm thinking when the best 20 game combos really become obvious , people will tighten the rules of those 20 with house rules, a very few or no added tweaks and a title for the game. So we'll have 20 named games that are the cream of the crop with names like CORTES 2015 etc (lol) and then the other 484
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Duglis wrote:
I agree. I'm thinking when the best 20 game combos really become obvious , people will tighten the rules of those 20 with house rules, a very few or no added tweaks and a title for the game. So we'll have 20 named games that are the cream of the crop with names like CORTES 2015 etc (lol) and then the other 484


I can see you have the top module combinations then get some scenarios for them. I would also hold out that some may end up tweaking some modules and doing what would be seen as an enhancement. I see the war module being one that could get targeted for an upgrade, with more units.

I also see, with the boat counter not used, that there is likely a bunch of water tiles coming. and stuff done with water. A game where you explore an ocean find land, would be one I see as a possibility.

I am of the belief that probably the biggest issue with 504 is going to be the universality of the modules, and combinations, ends up producing worlds that end up not having a unique flavor, and what you get from a game dedicated to just one thing. I see scenarios being a way to add a bit of color to the game. Have a combination of 3 modules that works well enough as a platform, and then add some scenario specific rules to the game (and maybe some additional components) and then something will stand out.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.