Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Beth Nehme
United States
Jacksonville
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I do recommend that the con uses a different shipping agent next year.

FedEx mislabeled my box of Board Games and shipped it to San Diego while a pair of Advent Calendars arrived in Jacksonville Florida. They claimed they couldn't find the packages despite having last names and zip codes for the correct order, but we found each other on BGG.

Should have been simple for Fed Ex to fix the problem after that, right?

Unfortunately,
* they can't give us expidited shipping to fix the issue so my games arrive in time for my party and advent calendars arrive on time for advent. It's against their policy to fix the problem by anything faster than ground shipping which will take for ever since they sent it to the wrong side of the country. Best case scenario is an additional 7 days - or two weeks from the date shipped.
* When I suggested I felt it was poor customer service, and I would have to post a negative review to this effect, they asked me to hold to speak to a supervisor. I thought, 'Great, a reasonable person who would try to make this right.' I was shocked when I found that the Supervisor merely wanted to threaten that if I posted this information to social media it could result in a law suit.
* When I mentioned that I was shocked that they didn't want to fix the issue, but merely wanted to intimidate me with the threat of a lawsuit, they said that they hadn't threatened ME with a lawsuit, they just said that lawsuits sometimes follow people posting information to Social Media. They certainly weren't saying that my posting a factual description of their customer service would result in a lawsuit - just that it could.
* Although the Rep claimed that they agreed we should at least be entitled to a refund of our shipping fees, they claimed they were unable to process that because the invoices weren't created yet in there system. Interesting given that I paid in full by credit card at the convention. They suggested I call back later. I wonder if the invoices don't get created until after the deadline for complaints, a Catch 22 ...

In my opinion, the quality of a company isn't in found in a perfect record, anyone can make a mistake. The quality is in how the company responds when a mistake has been made.

I would say that Federal Express offered the WORST customer service I have ever encountered in fixing a problem. The fact that they felt the need to threaten (at least by implication if not by direct threat) someone who had gone out of their way to help fix the problem, and was having a pleasant, non-emotional conversation with the rep, makes me think that their issues with customer service and social media complaints must be significant.

Again though, and only in my opinion, I can't like there approach to resolving the issue. I saw what I identified as signs that they had a formal procedure in their call center when they were confronted with any indication that there would be a public negative review. I saw no sign that they had any form of process to try to resolve the customer service complaint. Based on this impression I took that their corporate policy isn't to provide GOOD customer service, but instead to hide bad service, I will never use them again. It simply reflects a corporate culture that I can't agree with. I would also sell the stock if I had it because that type of short-sighted thinking generally isn't good for long term profitability.

PS. Sorry about all the weasel wording in the above post. Apparently I need to protect myself from lawsuits, and can't risk writing simple declarative sentences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard there were some issues this year even before any packages were shipped out. :/ But it's not so easy to bring in a new shipper, since FedEx is pretty much *right there* in the hotel, and bringing in a competitor would probably not be approved of by the hotel and definitely not by FedEx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The person who needs to see this is
Glenn Holt

Lewisville
Texas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Digren wrote:
The person who needs to see this is
Glenn Holt

Lewisville
Texas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Good point. I geekmailed him a link to this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Peterson
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
schwartz!
badge
My hovercraft is full of eels!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had problems with FedEx shipping on eBay. When paying for shipping the invoice showed $35 dollars but I was billed $55. When I called they said that the charge should have been $35 but they couldn't refund me the $20, eBay would have to do that. Of course eBay said FedEx was responsible for the refund.

FedEx must be using the Comcast customer service rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the feedback. I'm currently reviewing the arrangements with FedEx due to a variety of concerns. I don't know yet if anything will change for next year, but I am looking at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done a lot of shipping in the past through all three of the big services (USPS, UPS, FedEx) and I've felt that FedEx has the worst customer service (although they are generally the fastest at delivering packages).

You should definitely file a credit card dispute, and also a BBB complaint. I've had a lot of success with BBB complaints against big companies that aren't otherwise willing to be reasonable - just have a resolution in mind (in this case, probably that they should refund both what you paid and the additional cost to express mail the games to the correct location).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Valladolid
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was surprised that a driver showed up at my door today with no advance notice to pick up your box. Luckily he had a tape gun on him, so he was in an out in 5 minutes. My wife (the actual shipper) had a very frustrating and unsatisfying phone conversation with them when we discovered the error.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Sierens
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had issues with delivery to the hotel. FedEx wanted to charge us over $1100 for our packages to arrive from Fed Ex air to be received at the hotel on 1 pallet. It was not until I raised enough noise did they agree to take the original quote they gave me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brown
United States
Edgewood
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, the top 3 shippers, from worst to best, have been:

1.) FedEx: will leave a notice at my door, even though I'm home and actively listening for a knock. After that, it may take up to 4 days for a redelivery. Even took 3 days just to pick items up at one of their centers.

2.) UPS: reliable, but location of distribution centers is inconvenient, if you miss a delivery.

3.) USPS: most reliable (partially because one knows the approximate time of day they'll arrive) and easy pickup if you miss a delivery. Also the most cooperative if a redelivery is needed.

That's my opinion, for what it's worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Holt

Lewisville
Texas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cripes, what a mess. I'm so sorry.

"The quality is in how the company responds when a mistake has been made."

You have no idea how much I agree with this, and even though I'm not a FedEx Employee, I don't want this to reflect poorly on my Hyatt family.
I talked to Mike, the Group Manager in charge of BGG here onsite today about this, and I know Jeff knows about it. Your feedback is going straight my General Manager about this. I feel like this is something he needs to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
The important things to do:

(1) File a dispute with your credit card company.

(2) Post to social media the name of the customer service manager who told you that posts to social media sometimes result in lawsuits. Be polite, be respectful, stick to the documented facts, stress that all you originally asked for was expedited shipping to resolve the FedEx error as soon as possible. (If you have a friend who is a lawyer get them to look it over before you post it to make sure you are staying within legal bounds.)

(3) Ask every company you do business with for alternatives to FedEx shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Snyder
United States
Oregon City
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimBro3 wrote:

1.) FedEx: will leave a notice at my door, even though I'm home and actively listening for a knock. After that, it may take up to 4 days for a redelivery. Even took 3 days just to pick items up at one of their centers.

2.) UPS: reliable, but location of distribution centers is inconvenient, if you miss a delivery.

3.) USPS: most reliable (partially because one knows the approximate time of day they'll arrive) and easy pickup if you miss a delivery. Also the most cooperative if a redelivery is needed.

This is my experience as well. I've had several mis-shipped FedEx boxes and I once had to call to try to deal with a package that I dropped off that was delivered back to me rather than the person it was addressed to - no fun at all, had to call 3 times to get it resolved.

I had some issues with USPS for a while due to a lousy carrier, once I got a new carrier, those issues are gone and I can't speak high enough of our current carrier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Given an option I'll always ship USPS, but I shipped two largish boxes out from bgg.con and they both showed up exactly when they said they would. One I sent out on Friday, morning after the VFM, and the other sunday afternoon right before they closed up shop in the foyer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

It sounds like their poor business model is used overseas. I have only had one delivery from Fedex. I changed the date of delivery on their website for a day I would be in and they sent me a confirmation email. Then I got an email telling me they were delivering on the original day, which they did. As I was out they left a note saying that they had delivered it to my address and someone at my address had signed for it. Not possible as no one had been home. The name of who had signed for it appeared made up as it wasn't the name of any of my neighbours - cue mega stress. Fortunately the parcel was with my next door neighbour, which I only found out by doing some door knocking.

I would never deal with them again. Possibly worse than Yodel, which in the UK, is saying something (search Yodel and complaints if you want to read some horror stories).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Martin
United States
Parkland
Washington
flag msg tools
I order on Amazon.com a lot and never had any problems until they started doing some shipping with fedex. When I order online and the company ships with fedex I always hope my neighbors will be kind and finish the delivery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brown
United States
Edgewood
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ConnerCP wrote:
JimBro3 wrote:

This is my experience as well. I've had several mis-shipped FedEx boxes and I once had to call to try to deal with a package that I dropped off that was delivered back to me rather than the person it was addressed to - no fun at all, had to call 3 times to get it resolved.

I had some issues with USPS for a while due to a lousy carrier, once I got a new carrier, those issues are gone and I can't speak high enough of our current carrier.

I forgot to mention, last time the FedEx person did their stealth thing, I had specified "leave at door." The clerk at FedEx center told it me that was "At the discretion of the driver." I'd authorized the parcel to be left because it was a gift, which became a late gift. Unacceptable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not attended the con, but for what it's worth, as someone who runs a small business, I can tell you that FedEx is infinitely better at handling claims than UPS. I've seen it myself, and in conversations with the owner of my local Pak Mail, who obviously deals extensively with both, he agreed.

Something to consider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimBro3 wrote:

Oh, yeah. One time I was sitting by the door waiting for a box of games. Then it shows up on the website as nobody home. I called and complained, but they wouldn't send the driver back; I ended up going to the distribution center to pick it up (and then they'd sliced the box and damaged a game box as well; fortunately it was for one I didn't care about too much).

The only thing I don't like about USPS is their tracking is pretty much worthless for anything except showing delivery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Marshall
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimBro3 wrote:
ConnerCP wrote:
JimBro3 wrote:

I forgot to mention, last time the FedEx person did their stealth thing, I had specified "leave at door." The clerk at FedEx center told it me that was "At the discretion of the driver." I'd authorized the parcel to be left because it was a gift, which became a late gift. Unacceptable.

UPS has made available the option to ship items to their stores instead of just routing back to their distribution centers. I was able to use this on a recent order, changing it from going to my house to being delivered at the UPS Store closest to my work. It was an awesome and seamless experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brown
United States
Edgewood
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crackerjack wrote:
JimBro3 wrote:
ConnerCP wrote:
JimBro3 wrote:

UPS has made available the option to ship items to their stores instead of just routing back to their distribution centers. I was able to use this on a recent order, changing it from going to my house to being delivered at the UPS Store closest to my work. It was an awesome and seamless experience.

That's swell. They (FedEx, not UPS) also made the option available to leave the package at my door, but they ignored my choice (which was clearly marked on the package). Glad you had an awesome and seamless experience, but mine was awful and unseemly.

No offense to you, Crackerjack, just expressing my bitterness. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Dudek
United States
Ilion
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say in my experience, FedEx is the worst of the shipping services. Even worse than that is the abomination known as FedEx "SmartPost™", which is where both FedEx and the USPS have the opportunity to abuse your package.

Due to its low cost, it is frequently used as a 'Free' shipping option by retailers. Even MiniatureMarket does this now. However, you get what you pay for. If you have a choice of your package going by 'SmartPost™' or giving it to a hobo hitchhiker to deliver, you'll probably get better service from the bum. 'SmartPost™' gets all the love and care of diseased roadkill from FedEx and the USPS. Not worth the 'Free' price....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FEDEX has been great fo me. 100's of deliveries and never a single issue. Unfortunately with organizations of that magnitude, there were always be a margin of error.

UPS on the other hand for me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant F.
msg tools
Fedex lost a parcel of rare games last year for me. I will never use them if I can help it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aniceto Pereira
India
Mumbai
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my first Fed-Ex parcel to India a few weeks ago, a copy of Burgle Bros from my SS. Came in fine. I'd never seen Fed-Ex used before on any international delivery. Our local post services are great here in Bombay. All my USPS and UPS come in perfectly, albeit a little battered on the box.

I miss USPS's uber cheap media mail. I used to email sixty odd pounds of comics in sacks from the states.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.