Hide
11 Posts

Runebound (Third Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Quest cards and exploring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Klotzki
msg tools
I wonder what happens when I spend an action to explore a quest zone and I dont get any results in dices, corresponding to the quest card outcomes? Do I have to spend another action to resolve or do this quest automaticaly ends with no outcome and I gain this card as a trophy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. You must explore successfully to complete the quest and take it as a trophy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Klotzki
msg tools
ok, but lets go back to the other part of question. If I make no success roll on "explore" action, do i roll until I get one of the outcomes? or do I have to spend another action to roll dices again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can exert to reroll, or use an ability. Otherwise, you'll need to take another action to explore again.

Also, you're not required to take the result that you roll, so if you get one you don't like you can pass, then take another action to explore again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Klotzki
msg tools
Thank you very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hammer drone
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,

This is a good question. what if i got the 1st outcome which is failure and it doesn't state that i need to discard the card. is it legal to take it as a trophy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bijak_sinner wrote:
Hi,

This is a good question. what if i got the 1st outcome which is failure and it doesn't state that i need to discard the card. is it legal to take it as a trophy?

If you fail a test on an Event card, you do not get to keep the card as a trophy unless the card specifically lists it. In most cases, it'll say what you get for passing a test and then doesn't list what happens when you fail -- in those cases, what happens when you fail is that you discard the card and get no rewards.

EDIT: Edited for clarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
bijak_sinner wrote:
Hi,

I'm not sure I understand this question. Achieving any of the outcomes stated means you have successfully completed the quest. You only 'fail' if you don't get any of those combinations (or enough successes if it's an attribute test).

If you do get any of the results shown, even ones with 'negative' results such as taking damage, then you completed the quest and keep the quest card as a trophy unless it specifically states otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
XeyneGaming wrote:
bijak_sinner wrote:
Hi,

If you fail the test, you do not get to keep the card as a trophy unless the card specifically lists it. In most cases, it'll say what you get for passing a test and then doesn't list what happens when you fail -- in those cases, what happens when you fail is that you discard the card and get no rewards.

Maybe one of us has misunderstood something, but so far as I can tell we are still talking about quest cards. Those are kept as trophies by default if you complete the quest, by achieving any of the stated outcomes.

The alternative is that you don't complete the quest, in which case you still keep the card and can try again with another action.

Event cards are discarded by default, which might be causing some confusion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
Maybe one of us has misunderstood something, but so far as I can tell we are still talking about quest cards. Those are kept as trophies by default if you complete the quest, by achieving any of the stated outcomes.

The alternative is that you don't complete the quest, in which case you still keep the card and can try again with another action.

Event cards are discarded by default, which might be causing some confusion?

Perhaps I misunderstood what he was talking about because Quests don't have "failure" outcomes, so thought he must be talking about Event cards.

For Quests, you either succeed at one of the two or three potential outcomes and get to keep the card as a trophy, or you fail completely and nothing happens until you try again. If you Explore and can fulfill none of the outcomes, then you do not discard the card and may try again later. In fact, if you Explore and DO meet the requirements for one of the outcomes, you can still choose not to accept it and may try again later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
XeyneGaming wrote:
Perhaps I misunderstood what he was talking about because Quests don't have "failure" outcomes, so thought he must be talking about Event cards.

Yeah, it's not clear from how he phrased the question what situation he's referring to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.