Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the RRG on page 9, there are 3 traits of Gear: Weapon, Armor, and Accessory. The limit on Gear is 1 Armor, 2 Weapons, and any number of Accessories. (RRG page 10) Legendary Gear (RRG page 10) is also included in this limit.

Why does the Campaign Sheet have 4 checkboxes for Gear (page 15 of LTP) when the limit seems to be 3?
TK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
devastadus bam
msg tools
you can have multiple accessories

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
devastadus wrote:

Yes. This is what makes me think the limit should be 3: 1 Armor, and 2 Weapons. If Accessories are unlimited, why would we need a checkbox for them? What is the purpose of the limit of 4?
TK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tkelly wrote:
devastadus wrote:

Yes. This is what makes me think the limit should be 3: 1 Armor, and 2 Weapons. If Accessories are unlimited, why would we need a checkbox for them? What is the purpose of the limit of 4?
TK

To limit the total amount of accessories, armour, and weapons you can have
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marlowc wrote:

To limit the total amount of accessories, armour, and weapons you can have

There is no "backpack" in this game. When one gains Gear, one may discard it or equip it. 1 Armor plus 2 Weapons = Limit of 3. As far as I can tell, with Accessories being unlimited, there is no need for a 4th checkbox for Gear Limit.
TK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps this is it: one must have a "slot" for those "unlimited" accessories.
During the first quest, if one has already picked up a weapon, and then later an accessory, one may keep only 1 of these.
During the first quest, if one has an accessory, and then later acquires another, one may equip the new accessory.

Got it.
TK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tkelly wrote:
Perhaps this is it: one must have a "slot" for those "unlimited" accessories.
During the first quest, if one has already picked up a weapon, and then later an accessory, one may keep only 1 of these.
During the first quest, if one has an accessory, and then later acquires another, one may equip the new accessory.

Got it.
TK

Yes, that's it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I don't think that's it.

Your total gear allowance is limited by your capacity. So during your first quest of a campaign, you can equip one piece of gear, period.

Once you have a gear capacity of, say, 3, that's when restrictions come into play. So with a gear capacity of 3 you could carry 2 weapons and an armour. Or 1 weapon, 1 armour and an acessory. Or 2 weapons and an accessory. Or simply 3 accessories. But your total equipped gear cannot exceed your capacity, which in this case is 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jari Ahonen
Finland
Hyvinkää
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically there are two limits:

Gear limit (upgradeable, 1-4)
Type Specific limits (Armor = 1, Weapons = 2, Accessories = no limit)

You must adhere to both limits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Accessories are still limited by your Gear limit. So for instance if you max out your Gear limit at 4 you could have four accessories, three accessories plus one of either a weapon or armor, two accessories plus two weapons or one weapon/one armor, or one accessory one armor two weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taldrym wrote:
Basically there are two limits:

Gear limit (upgradeable, 1-4)
Type Specific limits (Armor = 1, Weapons = 2, Accessories = no limit)

You must adhere to both limits.

Ahhh.... I think it's the "any number" description for the Accessories that's causing my problem. For Accessories, it would have been better (for me) to have written "up to 4 Accessories".
TK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimo Farroni
Italy
Giugliano in Campania
flag msg tools
I think the "any numer" rule you are talking about refers to one use item that you may get from the dungeon cards, in other words you can carry any number of items from the dungeon deck and the limit applies to the "real" items that come from the gear deck, also the items that you get directly from the dungeon deck are going to be discarded at the end of the quest.

page 7 of the Rules Reference "Dungeon Cards"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nikame wrote:
I think the "any numer" rule you are talking about refers to one use item that you may get from the dungeon cards, in other words you can carry any number of items from the dungeon deck and the limit applies to the "real" items that come from the gear deck, also the items that you get directly from the dungeon deck are going to be discarded at the end of the quest.

Page 10, RRG, under Equipping Gear: A hero can equip a maximum of two weapons, one armor, and any number of accessories."
Page 12, LTP, under Limitations:"After a hero increases his gear capacity so he can equip more gear, he is limited to equipping one piece of armor, up to two weapons, and any number of accessories."
TK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nikame wrote:

Yes, we found that a bit confusing at first.
You can carry any number of "items", (these are discarded on leaving the dungeon). But your total of "weapons", "armour", and "accessories" must not be greater than your "capacity"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your carrying capacity starts at 1 GEAR (Gear Cards) and can go up to 4. Presuming you've attained a capacity of 4, you can only carry four Gear Cards. Of those, up to one can be armor, up to two can be weapons, and "any number" (up to four) can be accessories. If you have four accessories, you can't have any weapons or armor.

You can carry any number of ITEMS (Dungeon Cards).

Why? Game balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boyd
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Here's what doesn't make sense to me. I know that the gear capacity is the number of gear cards you can equip, with further restrictions on weapons and armor (max 2 and 1 respectively). I don't get where the 4 on the campaign log comes from. If, on every one of your settlement actions, you increase your gear capacity, you would +4 to that capacity (you have 4 chances, after quests 1-4). Since you start with a limit of 1, wouldn't the max be 5 (1+4)? There's nothing in the rules that mention a hard cap on gear capacity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It took me a bit to get all this (just see above). There are two limitations on Gear.
1) Max of 4, total, regardless of type. You start a campaign able to hold 1 Gear. It's possible to raise this to 4. Check the limits on the campaign sheet, and in the rules.
2) Within the "4 max" limit, there are further restrictions for various types of gear. 1 armor max, regardless of overall ability to carry gear. 2 weapons max, unless your capacity is only 1.

If they had left it there, I would have had no problem with the RAW. It was the "any number of accessories" which threw me off. More likely my problem than theirs.
TK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boyd
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
tkelly wrote:
1) Max of 4, total, regardless of type. You start a campaign able to hold 1 Gear. It's possible to raise this to 4. Check the limits on the campaign sheet, and in the rules.

Maybe I'm just missing it, but where in the rules does it say you can only ever have 4 pieces of gear max? Not the campaign sheet. I'm happy to be wrong, I just want to see where I missed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Higdon
United States
madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mboyd197 wrote:
tkelly wrote:

Maybe I'm just missing it, but where in the rules does it say you can only ever have 4 pieces of gear max? Not the campaign sheet. I'm happy to be wrong, I just want to see where I missed it.

From the Rules Reference;

At the start of a campaign, a hero only has the capacity to equip
one gear card. A hero’s capacity value can increase during the
settlement stage if he visits the arena as one of his settlement
actions; he marks this change on the campaign log.

The campaign log has 4 spaces for Gear, with the first spot checked. It seems fairly clear that the intention is to mark the Gear Limit for each hero using the log. Thus we can determine that the Gear Limit is 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boyd
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I see that and I get it. I'm not disagreeing with you. But if that's the way it's meant to be, that's not enough for me. A box on a sheet that isn't required to play, a sheet that is simply a convenience to record information, something you can do on any piece of paper, with no text to accompany it, doesn't constitute a rule to me. Overall I think the rules are well written and clear, but this is a big miss in my opinion. The writers need to put this in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hester
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mboyd197 wrote:
tkelly wrote:

Man, I was so sure that this was in the rulebook but I've searched through it pretty thoroughly and I sure as hell can't find it again. I know the general consensus at this point is that you can only have a max of 4 gear but I'm not sure where that started. I'll be interested to see if someone else can spot it. Or perhaps Adam or Brady commented on another thread that it was the max and that's where the consensus started. Either way, it definitely needs to be clarified by FFG because it's not stated in the gear sections of the L2P or RRG or anywhere else that I could find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Higdon
United States
madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mboyd197 wrote:
I see that and I get it. I'm not disagreeing with you. But if that's the way it's meant to be, that's not enough for me. A box on a sheet that isn't required to play, a sheet that is simply a convenience to record information, something you can do on any piece of paper, with no text to accompany it, doesn't constitute a rule to me. Overall I think the rules are well written and clear, but this is a big miss in my opinion. The writers need to put this in the rulebook.

I happen to agree with you that it should have been more explicitly stated in the rulebook. I'm sure the designer's will be along shortly to clarify, but in the mean time, it still appears pretty clear to me what the intention is. The rules say mark it on the Campaign Log, the Campaign Log has 4 spaces, so the limit is 4. The rules instruct you to use the Campaign Log, so it's not a matter of convenience it's part of the game.

In the scheme of things it's really not that dire of an issue. If you think the limit is 5,or 6, or whatever, then that's the number you should use. In my opinion, the more gear you have the easier the game will become, so I'll err on the side of difficulty until I hear otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Campaign Log is totally optional. It's really just a way to note who has what in between sessions. A piece of notebook paper will do the same thing. But this one is pretty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boyd
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I see the limit as 5 because if you max out your arena settlement actions, you'll be at 5. But you're right, it's not that big of an issue. I'm very happy with the game, so all I have left is small things that bug me I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Higdon
United States
madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanwinter wrote:
The Campaign Log is totally optional. It's really just a way to note who has what in between sessions. A piece of notebook paper will do the same thing. But this one is pretty.

Okay. I imagine rules said;

At the start of a campaign, a hero only has the capacity to equip
one gear card. A hero’s capacity value can increase during the
settlement stage if he visits the arena as one of his settlement
actions; he marks this change by moving his marker on the campaign board.

And instead of a log sheet you had a board with 4 gear spaces on it. Would you also argue that it's optional? The point is that the rules direct you how to mark your gear in a specific fashion, and that method clearly indicates the Gear Limit of 4. Sure you could use a piece of notebook paper to replace the Campaign Log, just as you could use one to replace a Campaign Board, or even a Character Card and Health Tokens, but that doesn't invalidate any of the information contained therein.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.