Axis & Allies: Guadalcanal» Forums » Rules

Subject: Need a Clarification for Air units movement... please! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Archmage Lurhem
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi guys,

I'm discovering this game (A&A Guadalcanal)and I have a question regarding air units movement.

Rules are saying planes movement is done at the movement phase #1 (air unit step 2) and the landing is done at the regroup phase #3 (step 2). Fine! It's loud and clear.
BUT
Let's say you wish to do a survival strike or anything strategic...
If you know that your planes won't have any place to come back and land; can you voluntary move them as a kind of a kamikaze ?
OR
if they can't return to land - you can't use them like in the basic game A&A old classic one.

In the basic game rules of A&A (old classic one): You cannot send air units on “suicide runs,” deliberately moving them into combat with no place to land afterward. You cannot deliberately move a fighter into a sea zone that is out of the range of an aircraft
carrier (a kamikaze attack). Is it the same rule in Guadalcanal version?

Please, can you clarify for me? I can't find any more detail about it in the rulebook. Thank you all for your help.
Have a nice day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub
mbmbmbmbmb
As the planes move the same distance in the movement phase 1 than in the regroup phase, they are always capable to (at least) going back from where they began.

Of course sometimes you could predict that the position from where your planes is taking off is probably to be lost, (i.e. lots of transport outside your island with only one infantry) but there still the chance that the enemy wont attack, or they would have very bad rolls and you will keep the airport after all. In any case that is not suicide from classic A&A because there is the chance (although slim) that your planes can return

Edit: Remember that combat is only one round (no until a side is destroyed), so is not so rare for your opponent to roll 5 or 6 dices and do not have any "hit" on them(so your planes will be able to return safely)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archmage Lurhem
Canada
flag msg tools
WOW!

A quick answer!

Loud and clear, sir!

Thanks a lot. I appreciate your time and I also appreciate the details you added in your edit comments.

Thank you Vic R and have a nice day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.