Jeff Wallace
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Our game group has been playing Pathfinder (RotRL) for a few games to get used to the rules and advance up our characters. Tonight we tried the first scenario in the Burnt Offerings adventure (level 1 in the adventure path). We had visions of advancing our way through the adventure path triumphantly, growing our characters to the stuff of legends. Unfortunately, after the two games last night, those visions were quickly dispelled and we left feeling like defeated school children.

In our first game, we tried with two characters (Male Fighter and Female Sorcerer) and we had little success. We were able to find the villain, but both of our characters eventually died after they ran out of cards in their decks. We brushed that loss off as a learning experience and tried again (after rebuilding our decks with basic cards). For the second attempt, we added Kyra to the group to get some healing powers. We faired better in combat and were able to find the villain again, but since we were not able to close all the locations, the villain escaped and we ran out of time in the blessing deck, ending the game in another loss.

So after two defeats in the 'first' adventure of the series, we were a little disappointed with ourselves. Does anyone have any suggestions for improving our chances of success? We'd like to push through most of the scenarios in this adventure (and possibly pick up some of the next adventure decks), but we are now not sure we'll be able to make it through.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That scenario was fairly challenging for the 2-character parties I have played. Of the 4 plays, 1 was a loss, and 1 was a very, very close win.

Be sure to check out the A Guide For New Players, to make sure you don't have any rules wrong. For example, the rules around the villain and closing locations can be a bit confusing.

Did you have any trouble with the 3 introductory scenarios?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wallace
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link.

We did not have too much trouble with the first two intro scenarios - we have yet to play the last one to date.

peakhope wrote:
That scenario was fairly challenging for the 2-character parties I have played. Of the 4 plays, 1 was a loss, and 1 was a very, very close win.

Be sure to check out the A Guide For New Players, to make sure you don't have any rules wrong. For example, the rules around the villain and closing locations can be a bit confusing.

Did you have any trouble with the 3 introductory scenarios?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you mentioned your new player status, you might also enjoy the Adventure Guide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valeros and Seoni are great fun to play and they can bash their way through most problems. With two characters, you need to save your blessings and allies to make sure you make nearly all your checks. With more characters, the risk of death is less but the pressure to explore more grows. Seoni in particular can blow through a lot of cards if she doesn't get attack spells consistently in her hand. Her dexterity isn't too bad so you could even think about getting her a crossbow, if you find one. And maybe keep the pair together, to get the bonus from Valeros.

Just some ideas, don't get discouraged, getting your characters through all the scrapes is a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing Seoni now, and after playing ~70 games with healing, it is very different playing without a healer in the party.

When first starting the campaign, if you are using the starting deck from the rulebook, don't. Choose your own decks from all the card with the "BASIC" trait. With Seoni, you'll probably want 3 attack spells.

While playing Seoni, I think it's important to...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Recharge a card whenever possible, to obtain a boon. Obtaining a boon when your hand is full is almost worthless (unless it's a boon you'll keep after the scenario ends) because you'll just have to delete something. But obtaining a boon when your hand is NOT full is basically increasing your life by one. Even the crappiest boon is a fireball you can throw. I built my entire deck around being in a position to get a card out of my hand (ideally via recharge) so I could keep any boons I obtain.

As for Valeros, I would use his weapon recharge power very liberally. But I haven't actually played him, so I could be wrong.

Also, with 2 characters, you'll almost never need to discard a card to explore again. You'll usually have enough time, unless the villains and henchmen all happen to be near the bottom of the locations, or if you fail to close locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wallace
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks - I've heard conflicting opinions on whether to strict with the starter decks from the rule book and using a custom deck of basic cards. Is there a list of 'alternative' starter decks posted somewhere?

peakhope wrote:
When first starting the campaign, if you are using the starting deck from the rulebook, don't. Choose your own decks from all the card with the "BASIC" trait. With Seoni, you'll probably want 3 attack spells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Reiksguard wrote:
Thanks - I've heard conflicting opinions on whether to strict with the starter decks from the rule book and using a custom deck of basic cards. Is there a list of 'alternative' starter decks posted somewhere?

The starting decks in the book are designed to allow any character to be built with just the B (or B and C) cards, which means they had to include some weak cards. It's totally up to you whether to go along with those, or to choose better (but still BASIC) cards that are available based on your player count.

There is at least one thread on the topic: A Guide to Starting Deck Selection (Because the Suggestions in the Back of the Book Kinda Suck)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm only starting to play RotR because I'm too busy writing adventure guides, but I like to keep an Invisibility spell on hand in case Seoni encounters something she really wants to avoid. That might change once I start getting spells that are better than 1D12+2D4+2 vs. 1D12+1D6+2.

I'm totally down with the strategy of acquiring boons as extra life (or attacks). I've been diligently working that strategy since I started playing (5 scenarios now).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Reiksguard wrote:
We did not have too much trouble with the first two intro scenarios - we have yet to play the last one to date.

A note on this: if you beat Black Fang's Dungeon, you will complete the intro adventure and gain a Feat. It's a single +1 so it's not huge, but it could potentially help you in beginning Burnt Offerings.

For that matter, if your characters died and you started anew, you'll be missing any non-Basic Boons you might have gained, making going into Adventure Path 1 that much more difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another thought for the two characters you're playing. Get the Iconic Heroes Set #1 and not only do you get 6 really cool looking minis (including for Valeros and Seoni), you also get a special card for each character. These cards count as Basic for their owners. Valeros in particular has an intriguing card, the Tankard. When you play a card with the Liquid trait (like Potions), instead of banishing them you can recharge them and the Tankard. So with a Potion of Healing, Valeros can become a sort of healer!

Even if you don't play with the cards, minis are more fun to show where your heroes are, instead of cards. They take up less table space too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wallace
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After two more attempts, we finally were able to defeat Ripnugget and complete the first scenario in Burnt Offerings. It was quite awesome as we beat him on the last blessing card in the blessing deck - we had spooked him out of his original location, closed off a couple more, and were finally able to corner him. Lots of high fives after that one!! Good riddance to that goblin and his gecko!

Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement - we are on to the next scenario later this week when we have time to break out the game again.

I would like to give a +1 to the suggestion of downloading the Adventure Guide to use as the backstory. The Adventure Guide is much more lively and adds more character to the linked games than the small snippets of text on the back of the cards (which doesn't give much story at all). Nice work Folks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huzzah!

Valeros and Seoni will do pretty well in the next scenario because it's all about recruiting allies for the fight and they are pretty good at that. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.