Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Winston Crutchfield
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love my friends, but they're not very good at this game. Since we got base Pandemic in September, we've played about 8 games at introductory level (4 epidemics). They haven't managed to win the game yet, even with my gentle guidance. It's been dramatic and fun, but they just don't seem to grasp the essential game play challenge.

The question is:
Will Pandemic Legacy allow for players who are really bad at this game? I don't want to start a Legacy game that's just going to beat up on my friends. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legacy is easier than base Pandemic, and it gets easier if players start losing games. You could start the game with higher funding (more Special Event cards) if you're worried about losing too much up front...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And if you really, really keep having issue, you could play with only four epidemic cards. Games are really about having fun. Every group is different and feel free to bend some rules if they are no longer having fun. The campaign is fun, and there are plenty of adjustments made to keep it fun, even for groups having trouble.

With a group that "doesn't get it", I would try to figure out what aspect they are missing. Do they ignore breakout threats, never do cures??? Perhaps they need some overall strategy guidance rather than in the game directives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
Legacy is easier than base Pandemic

Yeah, I'm not so sure about that. It certainly has the potential to be easier, but if you have a couple of games start with a bad setup around the spring time, you can definitely get behind the 8-ball pretty fast - especially when you lead into those games thinking "oh, Pandemic Legacy is easier than the base game" because you've won a few straight and dropped your funding to zero.

The variable funding of PL has meant that we've had several nail biting victories that came down to the very last possible player turns. I rarely have that happen in base Pandemic without expansions.

Pandemic Legacy certainly has the possibility to be easier than regular Pandemic, especially for people who are able to grasp the new strategies and adapt quickly to the changing priorities, but it also has the potential to be quite a bit harder if your board gets into a sad state too quickly. This would be doubled for people who are bad at the regular game, because you have to change your strategies quickly.

To OP - If you can't win Pandemic with four epidemics and the normal set of event cards, I think you're probably going to lose a lot of games of Pandemic Legacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, that may be true. My experiences with Pandemic are almost all at a higher level usually with expansions. I can't think of the last time I played with only 4 epidemics. To me, Legacy feels easier...but it's not a fair comparison with the OP since we play at drastically different levels. In that case, start the game with 8-10 Special Event cards, and that should help. Or do as John recommended, and only use 4 epidemics. Neither will ruin the game in any way. You can play some practice, non-Legacy games first to gauge the difficulty level that you want to play with...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nicholas nicholas
msg tools
The persistent elements in Legacy will also be more engaging than in the base game... it may be that some of your players are making bad plays because they don't think them all the way though.

Something about the idea that "if we mess this up bad enough we'll have to deal with it for 20 more games" can really make you pay attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
We are really bad at Pandemic, did poorly at Pandemic Legacy, and had a TOTAL BLAST. It's all about the ride!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Crutchfield
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
squirrelnest wrote:
The persistent elements in Legacy will also be more engaging than in the base game... it may be that some of your players are making bad plays because they don't think them all the way though.

Something about the idea that "if we mess this up bad enough we'll have to deal with it for 20 more games" can really make you pay attention.

This is basically what I'm worried about. My group focuses on cube elimination; getting them to realize that you have to trade cards in order to win the game is the main challenge I'm facing.

I love iOS version. I'm averaging a 60% win for the standard difficulty playing solo. The Legacy version is gonna happen, but we may be a little rubbery on some of the rules if it looks like frustration is setting in.

It does pay to remember that it's just a game, right? laughlaugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.