Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daren, you can choose between Vassal and Cyberboard. Both are excellent. My preference is Vassal (the module by Kevin Coombs is excellent). This will get you started:

http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php?option=com_v...

Download the vassal engine first.
You will find a link to it on the left side of the screen when you navigate to the above page.
After this grab the module (click on Files and you will see the module).

This works on the Mac, Linux, and Windows. Cyberboard works natively only under Windows. You may need to install a newer version of Java unless you keep your machine current, but likely not.

It's an awesome module. We have a lot of games running already and I can't start another now, but if you need tips setting up your own game, I'd be happy to help. Andrew Young and Neil are also running games.

Good luck!!!

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should mention Vassal is free, but if you get great use of it, you might make a voluntary donation via paypal to Rodney Kinney. The source for Vassal, by the way, is on the web, so if you are a coder, you can also get involved that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Zadiraka
United States
Holland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know Cyberboard, but I have been shown how to play Vassal, and can recomend that. The module for Pax is great, and fun to play.

I'd suggest this by all means using Vassal. Besides here, also take a look at Consim.

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?50@563.smhkc4aQGzt.5@.1dd11...

You'll find more info there. Normally when there's enough people wanting to get a game going, someone will just start one and get people going. I'm one who will start a Vassal game of Pax when there's enough players for like scenario V.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the games I have seen played were Scenario V, but I like Scenario VI even more.

Game time depends so much on how prompt the players are in getting their orders in. Sometimes a lot happens all at once. In one game, I am waiting over three days to get build orders for the manpower phase. I don't like to prompt because I know everybody is busy, but it's unfair to keep your opponents waiting for you to move. It's not easy being a moderator...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
dcjackso wrote:
Thanks, guys, for the additional feedback. From the poking around I've done (and RHB/Neil's notes in the playbook), *all* the methods for online play take a fair chunk of time, so I'll have to get used to the idea of being patient...

As I recall, I think I was talking more about PBEM (play by email). Vassal played live over the Net takes a bit longer than live play, I've found, but it can be very similar in time if you use headsets and talk to each other (instead of typing in the chat window).

Quote:
Sounds like VASSAL will be the one for me! BTW, from what I've read, Scenario VI will probably be the scenario of choice once I have most of the rules internalized.

Let us know how it goes. Scenarios IV and VI are my favourites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.