Popular Tags: [View All]
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I may get flamed for this, but I think the images on the dice are just goofy. I don't like them.

I have some blank white dice and have been thinking of just making some stickers with better images on them to replace the dice provided with the game.

I like the idea of images similar to those dice used for Battle Cry.

Has anyone else come up with alternative dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as they are clearly distinguishable and intuitively linked to the actions they represent, I think it should work fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to ask if there is an alternative for goofy posters?@!

Seriously, if it bothers you so much (and I bet you have not even played the game one time yet), you could certainly put a flag in there instead of a running man, a crossed saber or skull for a hit, and blank for blank.

But why bother?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why bother? Because aesthetics matter.

For example, instead of the beautiful map provided...

...they could have gone with something less beautiful.

I'm GLAD they bothered to make the game board beautiful.

I wish the dice were as well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coldwarrior1984 wrote:
Why bother? Because aesthetics matter. I wish the dice were as well done.

I wouldn't compare the dice in the game to the map example you posted. Nice hyperbole though..

If you hate them, change them.

For some of us who have actually played the game a few times, they work out just fine and I never thought of them as 'goofy'.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Miniapples
Minisoda
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
George just wants his dice to look more thematic to his tastes. That's all he's wanting to fix. Not sure why that's a big deal. People often spruce up games to their taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
They might have better icons, but at the cost of professionalism. I'd typically much rather play with real dice than hacky stickers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vrooman wrote:
George just wants his dice to look more thematic to his tastes. That's all he's wanting to fix. Not sure why that's a big deal. People often spruce up games to their taste.

If that is all he wanted to say, his approach was off badly....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How would you have approached this if you didn't like the dice provided? I am interested in learning a better way. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you meant any harm.

"Goofy" was probably not the best choice.

I now get what you mean and I look forward to hearing what you think when you play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Teoro
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the dice work just fine; the images are intuitive with respect to their associated mechanics, though I guess the blank could have been replaced with a commander or some such image. That said, the graphics are not very thematic in terms of period. Personally, I wouldn't bother with upgrading them unless I had some way of printing dice with a measure of quality, and even then, this and 1812 are light games, not something I have an interest in pimping out, to borrow a phrase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:
I don't think you meant any harm.

"Goofy" was probably not the best choice.

I now get what you mean and I look forward to hearing what you think when you play the game.

The game is excellent, and I found the play to be a lot of fun.

I purchased some Risk army pieces themed for Rev War and got some green Risk LOTR elves with bows and arrows for Indians. I haven't tried them out yet, but all the colors match except the Hessians and French. The purple French will be represented by a dark gray soldier (I may paint their bases purple) and the green Hessians will have their bases painted orange for quick identification. (I may end up painting them completely orange. I already have the paint.)

I'm looking forward to trying them out in a game. I have not yet replaced the dice, but I am planning to do something like the Battle Cry dice.

As I said, the game is great. I just like to jazz things up a bit.

Thank you for the advice about not using the word "goofy". I genuinely appreciate it. Regards and have fun playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just have to comment on the comparison between the Skirmish board and 1775 board, mainly because I'm slightly miffed that someone has impugned the quality of Skirmish, a game I remember fondly and still take out on occasion. The Skirmish board is beautiful IMO given the context of the market for this game and the time period when it was released. It is perfectly suited to the game and served the intended purpose adequately. Certainly it would not work for a game in which the states are sub-divided into territories and cities are an important aspect of game play.

This is no different than the dice discussion. The dice are perfectly adequate for the purpose and I see beauty in that implementation. Clearly aesthetics are a matter of opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.