Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Stupid Question about Movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so let's say I Full Burn from the Bazaar which is a "yellow bordered space" through Alliance territory.

I'm pretty sure the rules imply that I burn one fuel, move my ship one space and then flip an Alliance card because even though I started in border space, I am now in alliance space.

Card says keep flying, so I keep flying.

When I move my ship to the destination space, do I have to flip another card?

I can see this two ways

1> I'm already at my destination, so no need to draw a card and "keep flying". This means to move X spaces I'm drawing X-1 cards. Which lines up with mosey being 1 movement for free.

or

2> I need to draw X cards to move X spaces. I still have to draw a card as I arrive in my destination sector and a negative result might force me to "Evade" away from where I want to be.

The rules as written seem to imply #2, but I just like being sure.

I know 90% of the people reading this will think I'm insane, but this is just one of those things that's done differently in different games. I'm actually pretty surprised that I didn't see it asked among all the other rules questions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 'Draw a Nav' card is basically the 'shit that happens before you reach your destination', so you haven't actually finished a move to a sector (including your final destination) until you've drawn your Nav card and checked for any 'shit happening'.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's #2:

On a full burn it's as simple as "slide into the new sector" and then ALWAYS ** flip a card from the Nav Deck for that new sector. If you wish to continue to move, and have NOT exceeded your max range, then repeat the process.

(**until you use the Alert Tokens from Blue Sun and/or Kalidsa. if THEY summon the Cruiser or Cutter, then no Nav Deck check. But don't worry about that for now).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hardy
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
I agree that the rules say #2, but I play it this way: if you haven't reached your destination at the end of a burn, draw the Nav card. If you have reached the destination, then don't. It seemed like a waste of cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Ses
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whardy wrote:
I agree that the rules say #2, but I play it this way: if you haven't reached your destination at the end of a burn, draw the Nav card. If you have reached the destination, then don't. It seemed like a waste of cards.


That's fine as a house rule if you don't mind doing a sort of micro-nerf on the alliance and the reavers and reducing your opportunities to pick up contraband etc, but definitely not what the rules say should happen.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whardy wrote:
I agree that the rules say #2, but I play it this way: if you haven't reached your destination at the end of a burn, draw the Nav card. If you have reached the destination, then don't. It seemed like a waste of cards.


Since you draw a card as you enter each sector you haven't reached your destination just because you enter the sector it's in. As pointed out in the OP, you might have to evade and end up somewhere else.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Removing the last card makes travel much less risky, not only by reducing the number of cards drawn by a significant amount (probably 20-25%) but also be removing the threat that something bad (such as summoning the Reavers or Alliance) could happen at your destination.

You lose out on some positive options, too, but it doesn't really balance out because it changes the entire dynamic of how the NPC ships work.

Is it WRONG to play that way? Nope. Will it change the experience of the game? Definitely. Regardless of which way you chose to play, be aware of the difference -- and have fun!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whichever way you play whatever rules it is still a fun game and if your mods make it even more fun for your group then well done.
Enjoy all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C H
Canada
flag msg tools
We look at it as: you fly into a sector, what happens when you arrive there? A keep flying card at the end of your journey means that nothing of note happens when you reach your destination, otherwise you end up flying into whatever comes up be it good or bad. Not drawing a card smacks of teleportation that bypasses the journey.
Just our group's thought when we batted that one around. We've got our own house rules too, so I'm not saying anybody is wrong, just expressing our consensus since we've had that discussion
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GerryRailBaron wrote:
(**until you use the Alert Tokens from Blue Sun and/or Kalidsa. if THEY summon the Cruiser or Cutter, then no Nav Deck check. But don't worry about that for now).

Actually, even if the Alert Token resolution roll summons the Cutter/Cruiser/Corvette, you still draw a Nav card EXCEPT if you are an outlaw ship and an Alliance vessel is summoned.

Reaver Cutter contact protocol isn't initiated until you START a turn in the same sector (or you draw a Reaver Cutter reshuffle card).

and the Alliance contact protocols don't go into effect unless you are an outlaw ship (carrying contraband, fugitives, wanted crew, or warrants), so if you're "clean", you can continue on and draw the Nav card.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Stratford
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
GerryRailBaron wrote:
(**until you use the Alert Tokens from Blue Sun and/or Kalidsa. if THEY summon the Cruiser or Cutter, then no Nav Deck check. But don't worry about that for now).

and the Alliance contact protocols don't go into effect unless you are an outlaw ship (carrying contraband, fugitives, wanted crew that aren't protected from wanted crew rolls, or warrants), so if you're "clean", you can continue on and draw the Nav card.
It doesn't matter if your Wanted Crew are 'protected', you are still an Outlaw Ship so you will get a Full Stop from an Alliance Ship encounter and then you don't draw a Nav Card. It's just that you may not have to roll for Wanted Crew for the Cruiser or lose one to the Corvette.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dalek1 wrote:
It doesn't matter if your Wanted Crew are 'protected', you are still an Outlaw Ship so you will get a Full Stop from an Alliance Ship encounter and then you don't draw a Nav Card. It's just that you may not have to roll for Wanted Crew for the Cruiser or lose one to the Corvette.
I knew that, but for some reason when I typed that up, I forgot about that. Wow this game has so many rule clauses. haha
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Stratford
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
Dalek1 wrote:
It doesn't matter if your Wanted Crew are 'protected', you are still an Outlaw Ship so you will get a Full Stop from an Alliance Ship encounter and then you don't draw a Nav Card. It's just that you may not have to roll for Wanted Crew for the Cruiser or lose one to the Corvette.
I knew that, but for some reason when I typed that up, I forgot about that. Wow this game has so many rule clauses. haha
Yeah, it's easy to overlook things, it happens to me quite often!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dalek1 wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:
Dalek1 wrote:
It doesn't matter if your Wanted Crew are 'protected', you are still an Outlaw Ship so you will get a Full Stop from an Alliance Ship encounter and then you don't draw a Nav Card. It's just that you may not have to roll for Wanted Crew for the Cruiser or lose one to the Corvette.
I knew that, but for some reason when I typed that up, I forgot about that. Wow this game has so many rule clauses. haha
Yeah, it's easy to overlook things, it happens to me quite often!


I played the game for a year or two before even realizing that the Cruiser didn't stop you if you weren't an Outlaw Ship.

That's partially because that's how I was taught and then I never bothered to look that closely at the card.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaclyn Courval
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hist wrote:
Dalek1 wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:
Dalek1 wrote:
It doesn't matter if your Wanted Crew are 'protected', you are still an Outlaw Ship so you will get a Full Stop from an Alliance Ship encounter and then you don't draw a Nav Card. It's just that you may not have to roll for Wanted Crew for the Cruiser or lose one to the Corvette.
I knew that, but for some reason when I typed that up, I forgot about that. Wow this game has so many rule clauses. haha
Yeah, it's easy to overlook things, it happens to me quite often!


I played the game for a year or two before even realizing that the Cruiser didn't stop you if you weren't an Outlaw Ship.

That's partially because that's how I was taught and then I never bothered to look that closely at the card.


Same here! That's how my whole group always played, and we have 5 copies of the game between us, so there' s really no excuse for us not to have noticed the "outlaw" part. When I told everyone about it a few weeks ago (because I finally realized we had been playing wrong because of a cruiser encounter in PBF 15), it blew their minds.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormborn79 wrote:
hist wrote:
Dalek1 wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:
Dalek1 wrote:
It doesn't matter if your Wanted Crew are 'protected', you are still an Outlaw Ship so you will get a Full Stop from an Alliance Ship encounter and then you don't draw a Nav Card. It's just that you may not have to roll for Wanted Crew for the Cruiser or lose one to the Corvette.
I knew that, but for some reason when I typed that up, I forgot about that. Wow this game has so many rule clauses. haha
Yeah, it's easy to overlook things, it happens to me quite often!


I played the game for a year or two before even realizing that the Cruiser didn't stop you if you weren't an Outlaw Ship.

That's partially because that's how I was taught and then I never bothered to look that closely at the card.


Same here! That's how my whole group always played, and we have 5 copies of the game between us, so there' s really no excuse for us not to have noticed the "outlaw" part. When I told everyone about it a few weeks ago (because I finally realized we had been playing wrong because of a cruiser encounter in PBF 15), it blew their minds.


My eye-opening moment was seeing the Corvette encounter card from Kalidasa, wondering why it wasn't the same as the Alliance Cruiser, and then having somebody point out that it *is* the same as the Alliance Cruiser.

So that was kind of embarrassing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Stratford
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hist wrote:
Stormborn79 wrote:
hist wrote:
Dalek1 wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:
Dalek1 wrote:
It doesn't matter if your Wanted Crew are 'protected', you are still an Outlaw Ship so you will get a Full Stop from an Alliance Ship encounter and then you don't draw a Nav Card. It's just that you may not have to roll for Wanted Crew for the Cruiser or lose one to the Corvette.
I knew that, but for some reason when I typed that up, I forgot about that. Wow this game has so many rule clauses. haha
Yeah, it's easy to overlook things, it happens to me quite often!


I played the game for a year or two before even realizing that the Cruiser didn't stop you if you weren't an Outlaw Ship.

That's partially because that's how I was taught and then I never bothered to look that closely at the card.


Same here! That's how my whole group always played, and we have 5 copies of the game between us, so there' s really no excuse for us not to have noticed the "outlaw" part. When I told everyone about it a few weeks ago (because I finally realized we had been playing wrong because of a cruiser encounter in PBF 15), it blew their minds.


My eye-opening moment was seeing the Corvette encounter card from Kalidasa, wondering why it wasn't the same as the Alliance Cruiser, and then having somebody point out that it *is* the same as the Alliance Cruiser.

So that was kind of embarrassing.
The group I usually play with made the same mistake until I read one of the FAQ's and realised our mistake with the Alliance Cruiser and the bit about not being an Outlaw Ship doesn't affect you!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Dawson
Canada
flag msg tools
So I guess our house rules is that you draw a nav card BEFORE you move to see if your move was successful. If you pass the nav card, you can move. Sometimes you can burn a fuel and go nowhere!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.