Australian Rails» Forums » Rules

Subject: Errata? Differences between editions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M. G.

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that between the 1st edition (tube) and 2nd edition (box) there were some changes to the demand cards for this game. I would like to know if there are any other changes (or errata to either version) as well.

If the demand cards did in fact change, did the board change a well, or can people with the the tube edition just buy a new set of demand cards from Mayfair?

Thanks,
Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can just buy a new set of demand cards, assuming Mayfair will sell them to you. It's a significant improvement to the game.

The only rule change doesn't require additional game components. You are allowed to build from Darwin at the start of the game, as if it were a major city. This is only allowed as a player's opening build, and not later in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Okonski
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The original contract set has a the highest percentage of impossible demands of any title in the series. At the start of the game, fully 46.96% of the demands are impossible, that is, the track from start city to supply city to demand city cannot be afforded on the starting cash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vilfroy
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
celt619 wrote:
My understanding is that between the 1st edition (tube) and 2nd edition (box) there were some changes to the demand cards for this game. I would like to know if there are any other changes (or errata to either version) as well.

If the demand cards did in fact change, did the board change a well, or can people with the the tube edition just buy a new set of demand cards from Mayfair?

Thanks,
Mark

The rolled up map did change vs the boxed map - basically there is a change in a row near the top of the map (I think the box version added a row).

Thomas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Voice In the Wilderness
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
tomvilfroy wrote:
celt619 wrote:

Thanks,
Mark

The rolled up map did change vs the boxed map - basically there is a change in a row near the top of the map (I think the box version added a row).

Thomas

There have been some changes to the east coast, as well. There is now more room available for building along there, a shift of approximately one-mile post, although not all the cities have been shifted - Sydney is a tad bigger, now though.

In this one, as well as China Rails, I've also noticed what seems to be a slight adjustment to the rules for movement by the ferries, as the direction now seems to be to begin counting mileposts from the ferry port after landing, rather than counting the ferry port as the first milepost. Of course, it's conceivable I've had it wrong all this time, or that I'm even misreading it now, but it does make using the ferry more appealing as a fast freight can make it to Hobart and back to the ferry without losing a second turn.

The circus load has been removed with this edition, too, unfortunately, which is again similar to China Rails.

The cards are very different, although it would seem that all the contracts from the previous edition have been retained, with new ones being added, mixed, and matched.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Cachia
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you now start with $60 million rather than $50 million, with a third switchback turn. Makes it a lot easier to get going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
You are allowed to build from Darwin at the start of the game, as if it were a major city. This is only allowed as a player's opening build, and not later in the game.

I don't think this is true. The rulebook has no restrictions on building from Darwin as a major city except that only 3 players may do so because it is medium sized. Besides, allowing a player to treat it as a major city only during the initial build phase is very restrictive - it is highly unlikely 3 players would even want to at the beginning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.