Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only read the rules. But in reading them it seems that each tile costs and sells at the same amount of $$. How is it possible then to increase your initial $200 startup to over $1,000 by the end of the game if your tile purchase cost is the same as selling it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pax domina
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok, I don't have the game in front of me right now. However, I'll keep my example really simple:

Say you have 5 'dots' of letters that you are buying. You will have to pay $25 (5 x 5) for that group of letters.

Now, say you use those same 5 'dots' along with 3 more 'dots' worth of letters to sell a word. You earn $64 (8 x 8) for that sell.

This game very gracefully operates on the POWER of squaring numbers. In the example above lets say you spent $25 for the initial 5 'dots' and $9 for the other 3 'dots'. That's $34 that you spent for the letters to make a word that now sells for $64 -- netting you a $30 profit.

My example is just that, an example. So, the amount for which you buy/sell letters will be solely dependent on the grouping of the letters as they appear. Higher 'dot' groupings will cost a lot more, so you'd better be sure that you will be able to sell them at a profit later depending on the letters you already have available as well as the unknown ones that will appear.

This game is a great deal of fun to play with kids and adults, gamers and non-gamers alike. As long as the potential players like playing with words and/or embrace the economic challenge, this goes over well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you want to create words that are longer than the set of tiles you buy at once.

Buy 3 tiles for $9. Then buy another 3 tiles for $9. You spent $18 total.

Then create a 6 letter word with those tiles, you get $36. You profited $18.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks I forgot that the dots are all added together first. Wil try this out today with my son-in-law who is going for his English doctorate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.