Popular Tags: [View All]
Max Moody
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the mechanics of crossfire, the game play is excellent. The leveling is also very enjoyable. The only problem, as has been widely discussed, is the lack of mission variety and an overall campaign.

Having played both this and Pathfinder recently, wouldn't it be pretty easy, or at least possible, to make a campaign similar to Pathfinder? You could set up a series of scenarios that call for specific obstacles to have progressive difficulty and theme matched enemies. This should be possible since the obstacles are numbered. Each scenario could reward you with karma and the campaign could end with the dragon.

The only problem I see would be balancing issues and balancing for different numbers of players, otherwise you could easily adjust your character to appropriate classes between scenarios based on the description and you could have more or less enemies than the number of players for thematic scenarios with harder or easier enemies. You could even do a variation of the "locations" similar to Pathfinder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Webb
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely. I'm looking at all the official and fan missons + the excellent fan expansions (hunters Arsenal !) and wrapping it into a single campaign. Still have a way to go before ready for play testing, but will definitely post to BGG when I have something to share.

I can see why the designers went with less specific missions. I don't have experience with pathfinder, but how often do players replay a given setup? My expectation with a more specific, story based campaign, players are less likely to replay the same mission.

Different obstacles for each mission also seems like a tall order. I'm currently planning to use base game obstacles to start and incorporate the high caliber ops in later missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Moody
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seamless wrote:
Definitely. I'm looking at all the official and fan missons + the excellent fan expansions (hunters Arsenal !) and wrapping it into a single campaign. Still have a way to go before ready for play testing, but will definitely post to BGG when I have something to share.

I can see why the designers went with less specific missions. I don't have experience with pathfinder, but how often do players replay a given setup? My expectation with a more specific, story based campaign, players are less likely to replay the same mission.

Different obstacles for each mission also seems like a tall order. I'm currently planning to use base game obstacles to start and incorporate the high caliber ops in later missions.

I'd say it's fairly rare to replay a particular setup, granted i've only played a few so far. There is a overall campaign that is divided into scenarios and each scenario is divided into multiple encounters. The encounters are similar to a single mission in crossfire. The big difference is there are "locations" that are decks that players work through to defeat a boss randomly placed in one of them. The decks contain both enemies and helpful items. See if you can find a playthrough video. I think it would give you some good ideas for a crossfire campaign. The campaign in pathfinder works pretty well, just the combat isn't very interesting. I think a crossfire/pathfinder hybrid would be an amazing game.

Given the pretty widely varied level of difficulty of random obstacle draws from the 'easy' deck, i think it would be important to at least divide that into a easier and harder to make specific missions appropriately difficult in a campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Killops
msg tools
You might be interested in 'The Heist' custom mission on this page for the Crossfire custom mission contest:

http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=18578.0

I haven't had a chance to try any of the missions on that page because I have only recently introduced the game to my group but I'm looking forward to trying some of them as we get better at the game and earn some more karma!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've packaged together 3 existing missions into 1 campaign. I guess I need to get off my butt and tidy it up, write a bit more in-between missions fluff and post it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be very interested to see what people have come up with for a campaign. I got the game a week ago and am playing like crazy; about two dozen play so far. Like others, the only thing I find missing is a larger context. I'm toying around with some ideas here.

I made a list of all the official missions and then the fan-made ones that seem worthy of trying out and then mixing and matching to make some mini campaigns.

Here's the "menu" I came up with (just the lower level missions here for the moment):

And here's a take at a mini-campaign I call, "Pick up, Deliver... and Survive." You have to deliver a package for Johnson but get ambushed on your first attempt. It's all you can do to get out alive (Crossfire), then you have to actually deliver the package (fan-made mission, "Delivery"), then you have to get back out alive again (Crossfire).

I'm thinking of mixing and matching 3-4 missions into a "chapter" or mini-campaign that is part of a larger campaign. I haven't done something like this before so I'm kind of stumbling around. I'm keeping track of how many attempts it takes me to complete each mini-campaign then I can total up my score whenever I'm done for a total campaign score. Then I can replay the campaign with different characters and compare scores.

But I'd be very interested to hear what others come up with. Please post!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.