Subject: New player needs OP 10 advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony DeLuca
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Hey all.
I'm new to the game and will be playing in OP 10 next weekend. I have a pretty limited army, but am looking for any advice folks can give on comps or upgrades

So far I'm thinking about Vakka, Ancorum and a base red dragon with a few upgrades to fill out 150. (I have gold dragon, young bronze and frost giant plus starter dragons as other options, Balista and SE wizzie on order but won't be here in time)

I'm sure my lack of experience with the game will be enough to do me in on its own, but if I can rely on the help of the Internet for comps hopefully I won't embarrass myself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Malcolyn wrote:
Hey all.
I'm new to the game and will be playing in OP 10 next weekend. I have a pretty limited army, but am looking for any advice folks can give on comps or upgrades
So far I'm thinking about Vakka, Ancorum and a base red dragon with a few upgrades to fill out 150. (I have gold dragon, young bronze and frost giant plus starter dragons as other options, Balista and SE wizzie on order but won't be here in time)
I'm sure my lack of experience with the game will be enough to do me in on its own, but if I can rely on the help of the Internet for comps hopefully I won't embarrass myself

It's been a while since I've built with just what you have, but I think I'd start with the following:

Vakka [57]
Cold Breath [5]
Legendary Resistance [2]
Total [64]

Balagos [42]
Fire Breath [5]
False Life [3]
Total [50

Generic blue dragon [31]
Lightning Breath [4]
Total [35]

Total [149]

Except for Vakka and his cold breath, I believe all of the above is from the starter box. This gives you three breath attacks, and Vakka can help boost the attacks from Balagos and the generic.

Vakka doesn't need the False Life help, which is why I'd put it on Balagos. Legendary Resistance falls into the "don't leave home without it category."

Another option would be to put the False Life on Vakka, which would give him an effective eleven health. This would almost guarantee him being able to withstand two five dice breath attacks. Balagos with FL has eight health, which probably means that two five dice attacks, or even a five dice and a four dice attack, could possibly kill him. Balagos with six health is still fairly stout.

I'd leave the giant at home.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony DeLuca
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Awwww man I was hoping the giant would be a good choice. I like the idea of a ground unit with a good range and the ability to counter a dodge die seems super useful.
Thanks for the advice on upgrades. I Initially completely discounted defensive ones but I will re think that.
Assuming you had more choices what would a good op 10 comp look like?
I'm struggling finding any decent theory crafting info outside of these boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Malcolyn wrote:
Awwww man I was hoping the giant would be a good choice. I like the idea of a ground unit with a good range and the ability to counter a dodge die seems super useful.
Thanks for the advice on upgrades. I Initially completely discounted defensive ones but I will re think that.
Assuming you had more choices what would a good op 10 comp look like?
I'm struggling finding any decent theory crafting info outside of these boards.

Jarl is *starting* to be okay, but with upgrades you're not showing as having. Jarl is actually one of my favorite models, but he can have his hands full going against a flyer heavy opponent.
The following thoughts for Jarl are just my opinion, so take them with a grain of salt.

* The Blackguard's Mail is almost mandatory
* The Adamantine lance (comes in the paladin blind buy) is not mandatory, but almost
* If you're not using the lance, Cruelty (comes in the harpy expansion) really helps, as it reduces the armor of the target by one
*Inhuman Toughness (gargoyle expansion) adds one health (and is almost mandatory)

I like Jarl a lot, but it's not until you start adding upgrades from some of the expansions that he start being *somewhat* competitive with dragons. And even then, not quite.

The problem with ground guys is that there aren't very many ways to get through armor with ranged attacks. So unless you can force flyers to swoop or land, flyers (i.e. dragons) can breath on you, and then fly around and avoid you, until their breaths recharge.

Forcing your target to lose an agility doesn't do too much, especially if that target has an armor of two or three. You really need to be able to penetrate the armor in the first place.

To give you an idea, I believe the build I used for our OP10 was as follows:

Arveiaturace [48]
Cold Breath [5]
Legendary Resistance [2]
Close Quarters [0]
Mirror Image [2]
Total [57]

Generic red dracolich [40]
Flame Breath [5]
Shadow Breath [5]
Total [50]

Generic red dragon [36]
Flame Breath [5]
Legendary Resistance [2]
Total [43]

Total [150]

The problem with the above for you is that it uses a lot of stuff that you don't have. The previous build I put together (Vakka, Balagos, and generic blue) was based on stuff you currently have.

I've started experimenting with more ground heavy forces, as some of the expansions that have been released lately have enabled them to start being a little more competitive (with the flyers).

If you're looking at future stuff to pick up, I'd recommend the red dracolich, and adult brass dragon, which are available commercially, and possibly trying to get either the ancient brass (Sivart) or the ancient white (Arve) off of ebay. They were OP prizes, but are two of the best dragons you can use.

But you can definitely put together competitive builds with what you already have, and with what you currently have coming.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll be enjoying a Jarl with 8 Health in the Spring...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Newell
Australia
Mayfield
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew Parks wrote:

Agh! Stop it, Andrew!

Serioulsy, though, Ancoram is good as a support giant. His high level makes him a good choice for equipping Battle Cry. I like to use him alongside Jarl Hörn since the Jarl is one level lower. Giving Ancoram defensive upgrades as well as Direct Hit makes people think twice about him. He boosts while the rest of the legion does the punching, and he can always sling the occasional rock. Range 4, -1 defence die for target is nothing to sneeze at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Andrew Parks wrote:

Very cool...
We can get him there now (or at least able to take eight hits), but I'm not sure whether that's the best way to play him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony DeLuca
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Thanks for all of the advice Kevin. I did get my wizzie and ballista today but I don't see either of them being terribly helpful in OP 10.

Luckily your recommendations are coming in time to revise my xmas list for the units I asked for.

I had put down generic white and shadow black, but I think I will sub out the white one for the OP brass and keep looking for a deal on OP white. and swap black with Dracolich. I may toss in gargoyle if I have extra room since its relatively cheap and I have seen some cool tanky idea's with it.

I do have a soft spot in my heart for Black and white dragons but I suppose that can wait till my army had some beef in it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Balagos with False Life: If you cast False Life in the first round, you might not get your bonus die often. Look at the levels of the opposing creatures to decide if you should cast it later.

Shadow Black vs Dracolich: You can only get Shadow Breath in the Shadow Black expansion (fun for extreme defensiveness); it is one of the few reasons for running the generic Dracolich (as seen above).

Generally, think about how you will bring lots of modified dice to a penetrating (or multi-crit) attack. If you don't have lots of dice then an opponent with lots of green dice will be undamaged and 2 armour is common so you need crits or penetration. Multiple attacks are another way to get crits and somewhat mitigate green dice.

Armour means that you will suffer lots of crits (or want to cancel them), so Legendary Resistance, Mirror Image, Inhuman Toughness and Blackguard's Mail are staples on appropriate creatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony DeLuca
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Hey all. It looks like my store might be running this as a 120 LP event. so any revisions in advice is very appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
Malcolyn wrote:
Hey all. It looks like my store might be running this as a 120 LP event. so any revisions in advice is very appreciated!

Hmmm. Not sure this really works with 120 LP. The gnolls might win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max POWER
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, those gnoll ambushers can be a real pain in the butt. Especially when it takes one of your creatures 3 7 dice concentrate modified attacks to take one of the tokens out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony DeLuca
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Well, using Kevin's recommendation's i was able to win one of my 2 matches. I might have won the second had my opponent killed the token on his side in time, but instead he defended it once i have killed 4 until he took out my heavily damaged army. it was a great turn of the game.

Luckily with our pretty small group i was still able to secure a Vrock so I'm pretty happy about that and I do not appear to have embarrassed myself, lol.

Mistakes were made like totally forgetting to use Vakka's ability but I certainly learned a lot about the mechanics.

BTW Legendary resistance saved my ass twice from killer critical effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.