Recommend
13 
 Thumb up
 Hide
258 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: Second String Math Trade discussion thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Spitzley
United States
Belleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'll have the Math Trade posted in a few minutes...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spitzley
United States
Belleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, the Math Trade is posted at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/19216
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Some questions(I apologize if I missed the answers)

Is this open to any country--or just the US?

Does sender pay shipping?

Thanks

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spitzley
United States
Belleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Merkles Boner wrote:
Some questions(I apologize if I missed the answers)

Is this open to any country--or just the US?

Does sender pay shipping?

Thanks



This is open to any country, but many individuals place limitations on where they are willing to ship. As for who pays for shipping, that's another issue that is frequently set by individual item holders. Take a look at the postings (87 already!) that are already up for examples of both.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
A worthy math trade experiment, but are people really going to want to trade crap for crap?

The results shall be interesting. goo
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's already been two items posted that are high on my want list, so hopefully.

BTW, I assume sweetners have to follow the same guidlines?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Waits
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One man's trash is another man's treasure?

This will definitely be interesting...

--STeve
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spitzley
United States
Belleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EvilTimmy wrote:
A worthy math trade experiment, but are people really going to want to trade crap for crap?

The results shall be interesting. goo


Well, given that it hasn't even been 24 hours yet, and there are over 125 items, I think I found an unmet need with this one
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
swaits wrote:
One man's trash is another man's treasure?

I always forget that fact. I'll have to go browse the "free" section of Craig's List to remind myself
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dspitzle wrote:
EvilTimmy wrote:
A worthy math trade experiment, but are people really going to want to trade crap for crap?

The results shall be interesting. goo


Well, given that it hasn't even been 24 hours yet, and there are over 125 items, I think I found an unmet need with this one


Well, you've found a lot of people hoping to unload stuff. Now you just need to find the takers.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cannon
United States
CUMMING
GA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EvilTimmy wrote:
A worthy math trade experiment, but are people really going to want to trade crap for crap?

The results shall be interesting. goo


I have found great success in these kind of trades before. But you have to realize you are not going to turn a second rate game into a gem. But if you have a handful of so-so games around and want try something else, this is the venue.

I have about a 100 games that someone should enjoy (well, maybe no one should enjoy Monopoly Junior) that need to find a new home. I would be very happy to get a handful of fun games from that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
robcannonsoftware wrote:
But if you have a handful of so-so games around and want try something else, this is the venue.

This is what I expect and why I have entered my own jetsam
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Heindselman
United States
Kingsport
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Question about the want lists...

Dspitzle wrote:
Want lists should be sent to Dspitzle, and use a subject line of "MATH TRADE WANT LIST". Please note that I will use the combined number and name method to label entries, i.e. if entry 18 is LCR (god forbid...), the Summary entry will look like:

wrote:
18LCR - LCR


and Want Lists should look like

wrote:
18LCR 371Sorry 425Monopoly



If you have multiple items up for trade, you must submit one want list for each item. When the results are announced, item winners should contact their current owners, but owners may feel free to contact the winners if they want.


How do you handle games that have more than one word in the name? Spaces, underscores, remove the spaces, or some other method?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious: how did you arrive at the rank cut-off of 468? You hoping for a copy of Australia?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cbrua wrote:
Just curious: how did you arrive at the rank cut-off of 468? You hoping for a copy of Australia?


I was wondering the exact same thing...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spitzley
United States
Belleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
heinzy57 wrote:
Question about the want lists...

Dspitzle wrote:
Want lists should be sent to Dspitzle, and use a subject line of "MATH TRADE WANT LIST". Please note that I will use the combined number and name method to label entries, i.e. if entry 18 is LCR (god forbid...), the Summary entry will look like:

wrote:
18LCR - LCR


and Want Lists should look like

wrote:
18LCR 371Sorry 425Monopoly



If you have multiple items up for trade, you must submit one want list for each item. When the results are announced, item winners should contact their current owners, but owners may feel free to contact the winners if they want.


How do you handle games that have more than one word in the name? Spaces, underscores, remove the spaces, or some other method?


Basically, I'm abbreviating freely and arbitrarily; my expectation is that people will copy and paste the entry labels from the Summary, rather than hand enter them; I've ended up having to recompose people's lists in the past because they went ahead and came up with their own naming scheme.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spitzley
United States
Belleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr.Baggins wrote:
cbrua wrote:
Just curious: how did you arrive at the rank cut-off of 468? You hoping for a copy of Australia?


I was wondering the exact same thing...


If you check the Rankings, 468 is the highest rank with a Bayesian average score of 6.5 or less. I figured giving the Rank threshold would be less ambiguous than giving the score, as people might use the wrong one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dspitzle wrote:
I figured giving the Rank threshold would be less ambiguous than giving the score, as people might use the wrong one.


Good idea!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
Anyone willing to put a Master Labyrinth on the list? I'd love a copy.

Also seeking , Blue Moon:Aqua, Experiment, Garden Competition, Wayfinder, Runebound: Sands of Al-Kalim, Runebound: Shadows of Margath (2nd ed.), or Mesopotamia Expansion (7 cards).

Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dspitzle wrote:
cbrua wrote:
Just curious: how did you arrive at the rank cut-off of 468? You hoping for a copy of Australia?

If you check the Rankings, 468 is the highest rank with a Bayesian average score of 6.5 or less. I figured giving the Rank threshold would be less ambiguous than giving the score, as people might use the wrong one.

One problem I do see with this is that there is at least one very highly rated (7.4) expansion with over 1,000 ratings... but it's unranked because it's an expansion I believe.

Will have to see if that person actually submits an empty want list themselves, as it could be a popular item (I know it will be on my want lists, though I'm not sure anyone wants my junk )
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This list should be filled (possibly overfilled) by the time you wake up as there is only room for 4 more as I write this...

Will any deadlines change, or will we simply have more time to submit want lists? ...

... actually I just noticed that with the current deadlines its at least 4 days already to submit want lists? Then again, it's not like even if there was another math trade started, I'd be putting my junk on it
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spitzley
United States
Belleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
This list should be filled (possibly overfilled) by the time you wake up as there is only room for 4 more as I write this...

Will any deadlines change, or will we simply have more time to submit want lists? ...

... actually I just noticed that with the current deadlines its at least 4 days already to submit want lists? Then again, it's not like even if there was another math trade started, I'd be putting my junk on it


I set up the timeline to match the days that I would reliably be able to get stuff posted, so I'm planning on sticking with the listed deadlines.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Perry
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Ex-Term-In-Ate
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In a shameless plug... get your Math Trader Microbadge while its still fresh. ninja
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goewert
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Regai wrote:
In a shameless plug... get your Math Trader Microbadge while its still fresh. ninja


Gah... need to earn more geekgold to by it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mitchell
Canada
Sooke
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
JeffyJeff wrote:

One problem I do see with this is that there is at least one very highly rated (7.4) expansion with over 1,000 ratings... but it's unranked because it's an expansion I believe.


My entry of Carc: Traders and Builders meets the criteria you list, and I can assure you it won't have a blank list. (In fact, I don't think I've *ever* entered a blank list, because I usually wait to see if there are games I want before joining.)

I've added Traders and Builders to probably 5 math trades now and it usually goes unpicked, so it's definitely a "second string" trade in my mind, even though it's a good game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.