Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played our first game and just wanted to share some of the experience.

A bit of a background, we are somewhat of Carcassonne veterans having played 100’s of games over the last four years. I have a mostly complete collection that includes all stand-alone versions (Hill and Dale is en route) and almost every Carc expansion.

I still look forward to new iterations, mostly for novelty. As others on our continent, I had to order this title from Germany. I ended up ordering one set from Cundco.de – yet to arrive and a second copy from amazon.de that arrived last week.

While I don’t mind the meeples and stickers that come with the game, I wanted to see if I could find alternate and suitable ships to proxy. The easiest thing I came up with in my collection were the ships from Tiny Epic Galaxies and one larger ship from Galaxy of Trian, (ironically enough GoT is known as a Carcassonne clone – in space)! The larger ship takes the place of the large meeple for the game, (the model is distinct and nicely detailed but sadly it doesn’t esthetically match the other ships). The retro ships from TeG (only 4 of each color) aren’t perfect for Star Wars but, to me, they looks better than meeples floating in space!

The hexagonal score board counter we used is also from Tiny Epic Galaxies. We use it laying down for the first 50 points of the game. Then standing up with the blank end up for the next 50 points and finally, turned around so the star is facing up for the final 50 points. Our first game happened to complete at 155 to 162.

From here I will assume you are familiar with the rules of Carc SW. Despite some variant differences in scoring and play the rules are mostly as you would expect from Vanilla Carcassonne, with asteroid fields replacing cities; trade routes replacing roads; and Planets replacing Cloisters. There are differences that are covered in the rulebook with the biggest change around the way planets are used, having more than one players in the same feature and the addition of faction symbols.

I like the fact battles are tackled as soon as they happen. The dice rolling mechanism is quick and easy. Your fate is tied to dice rolls and despite the fact that you could possibly roll more dice than your opponent, you can still easily lose the battle, (highest single die wins – rolls are not cumulative). As with any dice rolls they tend to even themselves out and our game wasn't an exception. In the end only a few points separated us.

Photo at mid game

Despite the battling mechanic I actually found this version, so far, to be less confrontational. The mega battles for cities are done away with because challenges happen as soon as (at least two) opponents enter into the same feature. I think additional planets were included (in relation to cloisters) to increase the chances of confrontation. In our game I think we only rolled the dice, at most 4 or 5 times. Again this was our first (2 player game) so we will play a few more to have a better sense over time. The way the tiles came up this time around there seemed to be less opportunity to get into each others business!

In the end this seems like a simpler (but enjoyable) version of Carcassonne. Having fewer meeples balances out the lack of large city battles and also the lack of ‘farming’ role.

I see this as a lighter version of the game that would be very suitable for families. I think it was well worth the, (the very little trouble) of ordering from over seas. If I had to decide what I liked better between this compared to recent releases in the Around the World series. I would probably give a slight nod to South Seas, then Star Wars and finally Gold Rush.

Star map at the end of the game, custom tile bag, and proxy meeples.

As you might expect the theme is literally just tacked on with stickers, basic cosmetics of the faction markers and player counters.

Regardless, I have a great love for all things Carcassonne and this is a keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patricio Garcia
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am like you and own almost all things Carcassonne. The higher price is throwing me off. I own gold rush, h and G and south seas along with Vanilla plus expansions. Would you say it's worth it to have this version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
napinc wrote:
I am like you and own almost all things Carcassonne. The higher price is throwing me off. I own gold rush, h and G and south seas along with Vanilla plus expansions. Would you say it's worth it to have this version?

Of course I would say yes but it is a matter of degree.

I find this a nice change but it will only get the occasional play and as I said, it would be a hit with families especially younger kids. In this respect I think it would be the perfect gateway even into Vanilla Carc (and expansions), which I believe has much more going for it, in relative complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.