Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Would be curious here. I tried playing the base rules 2 player and they just don't work. If nothing else, we ran out of huts to build halfway through the game and that cut way down on the tension.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And the Pfifficus site is no longer available, so i don't think that the new rules will be available soon in English...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I took the time to translate the rules as written on the Spielbox forum. I did not make any additions myself, this is a simple translation. My guess is that the placement of neutral huts should be mandatory, but it says 'darf' in german so I used 'may'.

Short version of the two-player variant:

Each player receives one colour, a third colour is used for a neutral dummy player.

The neutral player takes the "5" bid at the start of the game.

In addition one marker of this colour is placed on each of the following action fields: Build - Fish - Sell

One hut of this colour if placed as a seventh action field besides the other action fields. It allows the action change bid. This action can be taken as any other action during the action phase and allows to place an influence token from the general supply on the bid you want the neutral player to use during the next round. If the change bid action is taken again during this round simply move the influence token to the new space.

Start of the game: Each player places a free bid as usual, regarding the neutral bid. The player with the higher bid places both his starting huts first. In addition, each player may place one hut of the neutral colour.

Moving the fisher's god: The player with the lower bid may move the god. If the neutral bid was lower than his, he has to place the god figure on an island containing a neutral hut.

Action phase: The neutral player places one influence token on the build, fish or sell action field each time he gets his turn. Depending on which position his bid is for the round this starts at the following action, moving to the next each time he gets his turn:
- neutral was highest bid: start with build -> fish -> sell -> build etc.
- neutral was middle bid: start with fish -> sell -> build -> fish etc.
- neutral was lowest bid: start with sell -> build -> fish -> sell etc.
The neutral player does not actually do anything during this action, he simply makes them more expensive.

Sell action: You get money for all delivery to huts not of your colour.

Celebration action: The player doing the celebration action gets victory points for the fish on neutral huts in addition to his own. Each time a neutral hut is part of a celebration, the acting player may place a neutral hut to any one island.

Bidding phase: The bid of the neutral player is moved according to the influence marker on his sheet (see change bid action above).

All other rules stay in place, including the rules changes from the expansion:

- Only play 8 rounds, not 10
- Influence tokens used during island scoring are out of play, even if they did not make the win.
- The fisher's god gives one automatic fish per boat instead of one additional die. You roll dice only for the number of your fisher meeples on the island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Thank you very much.
This should help a lot out for those thinking about it as a 2-player version whether to buy it or not. I'll delete a few of my entries on this thread to make it easier to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helge Ostertag
Germany
Hofheim
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rules clarification:

- In the beginning both players must place a neutral hut.
- CELEBRATING: when celebrating on an island with neutral huts on it, the player must place a new neutral hut on any island.

Helge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought so ... else it didn't make much sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the expansion and new rules. It is hard to call the different builds by the different names, especially when one building is now another type. Rules where it starts out and doesn't mention changes but just sticks with the new words would be best. Building a "Fisherman" was odd, but in theme fits. The expansion is definitely for the veteran. It is rather hard to know what to build early (e.g. Kava huts and pearl diver huts) or later. We missed a rule which screwed up the entire game, so this was a learning game. Next time, we should have some strategies. It is fun, but nit-picky in how you have to be next to a cult hex and adjacent canoes for building. That was the only complaint. Java ceremony action was nice addition. We forgot the chief huts and celebration huts until late in the game. Very "full" game, lots of stuff to do. If you like that kind of game, this is a good one.
8 rounds was perfect - any more and it would've been too clogged-up.
All in all, a good keeper. Except the size of the box, I could've sworn it was a Hans Im Gluck game or ALEA in depth. The basic game might be more along the lines of a typical medium game-weight, but with the expansion it builds it up into a heavier-weight game. I like having choices, and this one has 'em aplenty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.