Subject: Unbalanced cards discussion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cindy M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to bring up some cards that came up in my 5-player game as possibly unbalanced compared to the other cards. Now, since we only played 1 game (with experienced gamers) there's a chance that some of the unbalance may be due to good card combinations or player-count effects, but I wanted to bring some up for discussion.

Clearly, the creator is not obligated to take any of this discussion into account when finalizing the game if he doesn't wish to! This is unoffical and just for fan discussion purposes.

Cards:
1. Prof Quentin Edison
We found this ability to be way too powerful--the player who got this card played it twice and scored 2 cards worth 8 Brass total because he could pick and choose, and was able to play it immediately for its effects. My group suggested either "look at opponent's hand and pick a card to steal and put in your DISCARD pile" or "RANDOMLY steal a card into your hand."

2. Pester Hound
Far too weak of a Reserve deck card! It only has 1 Attack and 1 Health, which makes it easily destroyed by Pendulum Snipers in the same round. So you're giving your opponents a free Brass for destroying your Unit, and all it does is fill up your deck/hand without giving you any benefits. I built the Pester Hounds at least 10 times but only had 1 survive back to my turn! This card needs a bit of a health buff, or at least provide some "when played" benefits...

3. Jetpack Courier
Way too powerful (as awesome it looks and plays). As an Employee, other players can't stop its effects from happening, and it's no fun if everyone starts ganging up on that player just to reduce that benefit.

Some suggestions:
- Only +1 Brass
- Keep it +2 Brass, but make it a Unit (with some additional health)
- Have card text that says "Discard a card from your hand" so that you get penalized for the benefit of +2 Brass

4. Railcar Thief
Fantastic to be used against the Jetpack Couriers, but if the Frontier Rail player also has this card would it be too powerful?

So yes, general discussion or feedback from other people who had a chance to play?

Overall, a fantastic game! Despite the comments above, everyone who played had a really great time and no one felt like they had no chance to win, which is good overall balancing in my book!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gnade
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. It is an expensive card and should be powerful - I think randomly steal a card and add it to your hand is too weak - that's worse than Inspector Harlowe where you are drawing 3 cards.

2. Pester Hounds do suck after a certain point in the game, but if purchased early can easily dominate since you can get a unit out way early compared to other players. I do tend to agree and have considered adding the ability: Dismiss Pester Hound from your deck to gain 1 Construction. After they serve their purpose or you miss the early attack pestering, you should be able to remove them.

3. It is highly likely Jetpack Courier will be nerfed and I have a feedback question specifically asking about it. I was always considering going back to +1 Brass (where the card started) but I like the discard suggestion too.

4. Railcar Thief could go to 2 labor...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. True, but then perhaps the chosen card should be put into the discard pile? Many of the powerful cards that can be stolen also have a lot of Brass value, which makes it doubly powerful for someone to use.

2. Maybe it was just bad luck, but Pendulum Snipers were bought in the first few rounds so every time I brought out my Pester Hounds they were immediately killed because the health was so low. So it became a useless card for the entire game because it never survived long enough to be used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gnade
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not ready to change the Prof yet, but I have made some changes after some lengthy testing:

Jetpack Couriers are going back to 1 Brass
Pester Hounds have gained the ability: Dismiss from you hand to gain 2 Construction.

I hope more people fill out my feedback form as they play since with so few responses right now it's hard to see a consensus. People are pretty spread out all over the place so right now it just feels like randomness/luck is making things stick out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Gottlieb
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had another "unbalanced" card that I wanted to bring up. In my most recent game, I got Power Plant, and one of the other players said it was broken and that there's no way to destroy it because if the other player plays any units, then you can just use Power Plant to destroy them. Any input?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.