Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this the kind of game that has scaling mechanism in play for the scenarios, or do two players need to run two adventurers?

If it does have scaling mechanisms, what are they? This game was almost entirely off my radar due to disliking the Lord of the Rings LCG, but now I'm considering it as a holiday gift for somebody that enjoys cooperatives. (Normally I'd have done my homework better is what I'm saying).

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Number of activations stays consistent across player counts, 4 per round.

But some stuff is clearly harder with fewer characters. Number of enemies stays the same. A hero can't have more than 3 enemies engaged at a time, so there is more possibility of getting ganged up on in 2 player.

But heroes have more health if playing with fewer players. And with fewer characters heroes will get more gear and legendary gear, since they are exploring twice as often.

But they DONT have twice the gear capacity...

Honestly, I'm not sure how the balance is for 2 player versus 4, but they certainly do have balancing mechanics in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Four heroes can engage up to 12 monsters before they start taking damage from a fourth engagement. Two heroes can only engage 6 before that point. This is the major bottleneck that affects scaling. The L2P even has a box that indicates it's harder with fewer heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody have first hand experience playing the title with just two, and insight into whether the experience is still as enjoyable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Turner
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Anybody have first hand experience playing the title with just two, and insight into whether the experience is still as enjoyable?

I'm playing it as a two player game and enjoying it thoroughly so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:

Also playing a two player, and having great fun. I think it is definitely a greater challenge for just 2 heroes, for all the reasons mentioned above.
However, this is partly compensated for by it being easier to cooperate, and coordinate your actions with just 2. And cooperation really is vital in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is an excellent two hero game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, seeing the positive reactions here have convinced me to put this on my wish list.
Was wondering also about 2 player potential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Higdon
United States
madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Four heroes can engage up to 12 monsters before they start taking damage from a fourth engagement. Two heroes can only engage 6 before that point. This is the major bottleneck that affects scaling. The L2P even has a box that indicates it's harder with fewer heroes.

This can be a bit misleading. Depending on who the party leader is, the number of engaged enemies in front of each player, spawns, and the action bar of each enemy, you'll find that even in a 4 player game certain characters can get ganged up on well before the 12-monster limit. More characters can definitely soak up more enemies, but it's not as cut and dry as saying it's automatically 2 to 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rkhigdon wrote:
kelann08 wrote:

This can be a bit misleading. Depending on who the party leader is, the number of engaged enemies in front of each player, spawns, and the action bar of each enemy, you'll find that even in a 4 player game certain characters can get ganged up on well before the 12-monster limit. More characters can definitely soak up more enemies, but it's not as cut and dry as saying it's automatically 2 to 1.

I didn't say automatically, I was pointing out the math. It doesn't mean it always happens that way but when looking at scaling and balance, you look at the math.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dava chido
Mauritius
msg tools
Anarchosyn wrote:

I have played through two campaigns now (see in sessions) and one delve as a solo player with two characters. It is well balanced since the hp stays relatively the same as 4 characters and you still have the same number of actions.

You can engage fewer enemies and you have to ready far more often than with 4 characters but this is mitigated by those two characters will be kitted out with their legendary items far faster. In a 4 player game I suspect 1 character getting all 3 of their items will be a very rare occurrence.

The game is a tense experience even if you figure out optimal strategies as there is always that random element throwing something in your face that you aren't expecting. It usually won't spell your doom but it keeps you on your toes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Higdon
United States
madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
rkhigdon wrote:
kelann08 wrote:

I didn't say automatically, I was pointing out the math. It doesn't mean it always happens that way but when looking at scaling and balance, you look at the math.

Didn't mean it to come off as if I was dissing you. Just pointing it out for those coming into the conversation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If there are more than 6 enemies trying to engage the party at once anyway, you are in a bad spot regardless of player count!

There's another advantage to more players and that is that you can suffer more wounds overall before you have to worry about anyone being defeated, where as in 4-player games you have to constantly watch the wizard's health pool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dava chido
Mauritius
msg tools
MasterDinadan wrote:
If there are more than 6 enemies trying to engage the party at once anyway, you are in a bad spot regardless of player count!

There's another advantage to more players and that is that you can suffer more wounds overall before you have to worry about anyone being defeated, where as in 4-player games you have to constantly watch the wizard's health pool!

You mean advantage for less players?

However in a 2-player game you lose 2 actions per round instead of 1 for someone going down in 3-4 player game. So there is a trade off. Also in a 2 player game your aid action becomes rather poor when your partner goes down.

I think the game does a decent job at balancing that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I meant less. With few players there is a risk of someone going down early especially if you draw a lot of enemies with Prey.
With two players, you can basically shrug off early damage - kill enemies as fast as you can and then worry about resting up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hell ORC
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
This game was almost entirely off my radar due to disliking the Lord of the Rings LCG

I only started playing it yesterday night for a couple of hours (solo, which is to say: one player/two heroes mode), but already there is one thing that clearly sticks out: this game IS NOTHING LIKE Lord of the Rings LCG.
Yes, a few features SEEM identical (enemies waiting in the middle of the play area, to name the most obvious), but IT IS completely different. I, for one, didn't like LOTR LCG much at all... but I am really digging into Warhammer Quest ACG.
The theme comes out stronger, the feeling of being in the dungeon directly translates in thematic game mechanics, which in my opinion are more elegant...and of course there is no deckbuilding before games (a big plus for me). Oh, and the quests are set up in a couple of minutes! I've never been able to setup a LOTR game in less then 15 minutes (yeah, I know, I'm slow!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.