Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
101 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

Pandemic Legacy: Season 1» Forums » General

Subject: Explaining the high ratings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Shreddies_Plz! [+] ratings_episode_999,999 [+] [View All]
kalvin connor
United States
rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

First off: I do not indeed for this to be a "mean" post but it may come across as such.
Post:

So, I was wondering if people could help me understand why pandemic is rated so highly. I get that it is a solid co op game. However, I dont think its the best game ever persay. I dont think many people would say pandemic is such a great game. Maybe I am wrong and there are many Zee Garcias out there.

Things I do understand: Its relate-able / plausible. Its solid co op. It can suffer from alpha gamer. There is no player interaction per say.

However, I just cant get the high ratings. Sure it is fun, but in no way is it the best game ever. It is fun, but its not the best game. And yes, I have played legacy and we have beat 3 months in 4 plays.

Enlighten me!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Varn
msg tools
mbmbmb
*shrugs*

My group has completed our playthrough and it's the best boardgame we've ever played.

You don't need to rate it as highly as everyone else- that's the nature of the rating system. A few people will probably jump in here to pick a fight about how the game "doesn't deserve" this, but ultimately, the ratings are high because a lot of people liked the game. Not everyone liked Star Wars, and look at how that turned out!

But seriously, keep playing. The "why" is classified.
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kalvin connor
United States
rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Its not really heavy at all and its super light. There just isnt a whole lot to the game, even after adding certain characters. There are marginally more actions, still not complex. Just easier to win. I just dont understand "ZOMG best game ever" is all. I guess a lot of people like light game? Not that its bad, trust me I play party games a lot. But I like some planning as well
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sircaradoc wrote:
There is no player interaction per say.


15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you post this in the base Pandemic thread? This seems to be directed much more towards that game whereas there is a lot that separates Legacy from the base game. I've seen a lot of people who really like Legacy despite not liking Pandemic very much.

I don't understand your comment on "no player interaction" though. In either game, it's a co-op, so there is likely going to be a lot of player interaction in terms of discussion.

As for an answer to your question, there are plenty of reviews and ratings that give plenty of reasons why people like these games. I don't think a new thread is going to add anything that you can't find there....
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
... and, to be nice, here's my take:

1) Pandemic really was one of the first euro-esque cooperatives. I'm sure examples that predate Pandemic can be brought to mind (anybody? Besides Shadows Over Camelot?), but Pandemic is both sleek in rules overhead, and table engaging for most groups.

Check the Shut Up and Shut Down review for Legacy for a concise overview of what makes Pandemic great.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note that March is the low point in Legacy IMO. We only had two Outbreaks total through the first 3 games. The game was a cake walk up to that point. April and May make things more interesting though...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kalvin connor
United States
rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
Did you post this in the base Pandemic thread? This seems to be directed much more towards that game whereas there is a lot that separates Legacy from the base game. I've seen a lot of people who really like Legacy despite not liking Pandemic very much.

I don't understand your comment on "no player interaction" though. In either game, it's a co-op, so there is likely going to be a lot of player interaction in terms of discussion.

As for an answer to your question, there are plenty of reviews and ratings that give plenty of reasons why people like these games. I don't think a new thread is going to add anything that you can't find there....


No, because this game is where the "best game ever" idea is getting at. Its still pandemic, regardless of what they add to it. You cure diseases, stop some from spreading. finish game.

Player interaction is in no way talking to each other. Player interaction is doing something to someone else. The most you can do is move someone else and then "take" their cards but thats based on "good will". Maybe I am just crazy
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It is "per se" not "per say"
30 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sircaradoc wrote:

No, because this game is where the "best game ever" idea is getting at. Its still pandemic, regardless of what they add to it. You cure diseases, stop some from spreading. finish game.

Player interaction is in no way talking to each other. Player interaction is doing something to someone else. The most you can do is move someone else and then "take" their cards but thats based on "good will". Maybe I am just crazy

Just look at the reviews and ratings. Otherwise, I feel like you just want an argument...
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I wear my Halloween costume all year round!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Pandemic is the best game ever, and I haven't seen anyone claiming that it is.

I think Pandemic Legacy shines because of the story aspect. The games are memorable in a way that most games aren't, and playing through the campaign feels sort of like reading a novel—when I'm not playing, I wonder about what's going to happen next. For the 12(?) games I've played so far, I've written nine session reports. Other than Pandemic Legacy, I've only written three session reports this year.

It's extremely difficult to find games that combine solid gameplay with a strong narrative. Story-style games like Tales of the Arabian Nights often tend to feel more random than I'd like, while games with interesting mechanics are often completely unmemorable after they're done.

It's not one single element that makes Pandemic Legacy great, but the way that it combines several strong elements into a unique whole.
14 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Onken
Germany
Varel
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sircaradoc wrote:
Player interaction is in no way talking to each other.


Why is talking to each other ingame no player interaction?
It's a coop. The whole game is one big interaction with the other players
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
elas wrote:
sircaradoc wrote:
Player interaction is in no way talking to each other.


Why isn't talking to each other ingame no player interaction?
It's a coop. The whole game is one big interaction with the other players

In particular, I found Kalvin's comment on "good will" to be interesting. It doesn't sound like they're coordinating much for a cooperative game...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kalvin connor
United States
rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
sircaradoc wrote:

No, because this game is where the "best game ever" idea is getting at. Its still pandemic, regardless of what they add to it. You cure diseases, stop some from spreading. finish game.

Player interaction is in no way talking to each other. Player interaction is doing something to someone else. The most you can do is move someone else and then "take" their cards but thats based on "good will". Maybe I am just crazy

Just look at the reviews and ratings. Otherwise, I feel like you just want an argument...


Iv watched and listened to many reviews. I just don't get how it's so high

I also stated that I don't think it's a bad game. I just don't think it's top 10 material for lists. It's not really even a story. The game isn't telling a story. What's the story? Curing cubes on the board, that's it
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sircaradoc wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:
sircaradoc wrote:

No, because this game is where the "best game ever" idea is getting at. Its still pandemic, regardless of what they add to it. You cure diseases, stop some from spreading. finish game.

Player interaction is in no way talking to each other. Player interaction is doing something to someone else. The most you can do is move someone else and then "take" their cards but thats based on "good will". Maybe I am just crazy

Just look at the reviews and ratings. Otherwise, I feel like you just want an argument...


Iv watched and listened to many reviews. I just don't get how it's so high

I also stated that I don't think it's a bad game. I just don't think it's top 10 material for lists. It's not really even a story. The game isn't telling a story. What's the story? Curing cubes on the board, that's it


You said yourself that you've only played til March. There is a story in Legacy.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kalvin connor
United States
rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
elas wrote:
sircaradoc wrote:
Player interaction is in no way talking to each other.


Why isn't talking to each other ingame no player interaction?
It's a coop. The whole game is one big interaction with the other players

In particular, I found Kalvin's comment on "good will" to be interesting. It doesn't sound like they're coordinating much for a cooperative game...


Our games take a long time actually because we take a very long time discussing what could happen. My good will comment is that fact that you give up a card that you might use to help the group. Think dead of winter. You have to help save the crisis to win, regardless of personal objectives baring you being the traitor
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I wear my Halloween costume all year round!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sircaradoc wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:
elas wrote:
sircaradoc wrote:
Player interaction is in no way talking to each other.


Why isn't talking to each other ingame no player interaction?
It's a coop. The whole game is one big interaction with the other players

In particular, I found Kalvin's comment on "good will" to be interesting. It doesn't sound like they're coordinating much for a cooperative game...


Our games take a long time actually because we take a very long time discussing what could happen. My good will comment is that fact that you give up a card that you might use to help the group. Think dead of winter. You have to help save the crisis to win, regardless of personal objectives baring you being the traitor


But in Pandemic Legacy you don't have any personal objectives separate from those of the group. What else would you do with your card?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Kind of hard to evaluate a game you haven't played, no? I mean you could make a judgement without playing it a few times but it would quite be as knowledgeable as those that have played it would it? The ratings are solely based on how much you enjoy the game so I wouldn't get hung up on it.

Also, most people here just seem to disagrees with you. Some people don't like chocolate. They don't understand how everyone likes chocolate so much. Perspective is your own reality.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sircaradoc wrote:
Player interaction is in no way talking to each other. Player interaction is doing something to someone else.

It is a matter of taste. I don't like games where you are doing something to someone else, but you seem to. So you will probably never rate a co-op game (without betrayal) highly. I will probably never play a game I can't solo or play co-operatively. Well at least not enough times to rate it. In the context of a co-op game, there is a lot of interaction here because the roles need to work together and coordinate. Optimal play spans several turns. Many games can seem light if you choose not to look ahead. If you find it too easy I suggest you use six epidemic cards. Many people have been doing that. I think they made it easy with five epidemic cards so they wouldn't turn off people who are relatively new.

Quote:
The game isn't telling a story. What's the story? Curing cubes on the board, that's it

You say you love Risk. To me that is also just moving cubes around the board (and spending a lot of time rolling dice). I don't like it, not because of the abstraction but because of the head to head conflict. When I played it 20 years ago I would always strive for world peace. This really annoyed everyone I was playing with. I enjoy plain Pandemic because it is cubes on a world map like Risk but people are working together instead of battling each other.

It seems your problem with Pandemic Legacy is not the abstraction of cubes on a board but rather the co-operative, non-cutthroat game play. So be it. I think the world is a better and more interesting place when we don't all agree on everything. I'd like to see a pure co-op game become #1 on BGG, partly because I never expected it to happen. I though the ratings would be dominated by people who prefer conflict.

The high ratings are easy to explain: a lot of people here really enjoy this game even if you don't. Oh well. If everyone liked chocolate milkshakes then there wouldn't be enough to go around.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
sircaradoc wrote:
My good will comment is that fact that you give up a card that you might use to help the group.

Which bit of "co-operative" didn't you understand?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
sircaradoc wrote:
It's not really even a story. The game isn't telling a story. What's the story? Curing cubes on the board, that's it

Pride and Prejudice is not really even a story. The book isn't telling a story. What's the story? Sequences of letters inked onto paper, that's it.
26 
 Thumb up
2.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D.M. Jones
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
...before I forget.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sircaradoc wrote:
Explaining the really high ratings.


Many people really enjoyed playing it, so they rated the game highly.
Anything else I can help you with?
38 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Miller
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
mb
clivej wrote:
sircaradoc wrote:
It's not really even a story. The game isn't telling a story. What's the story? Curing cubes on the board, that's it

Pride and Prejudice is not really even a story. The book isn't telling a story. What's the story? Sequences of letters inked onto paper, that's it.


LOL!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Bond
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Me, and my gaming group, rated Pandemic Legacy pretty high due to the fact that it's just an overall better game then base Pandemic. However, now that we have finished the full game, we lowered our ratings of it. Primarily due to the fact that not much new was added to the game overall, assuming you've already played the base game with expansions. We will never play regular Pandemic again thanks to Pandemic Legacy, but we will also not play Pandemic Legacy again. It's still Pandemic, which our group still fails to see why it's rated so high ourselves. There are just better co-op's we'd rather play. Pandemic Legacy is definitely a fun play as you unravel the story, but in the end, it's still Pandemic. We do hope that season 2 will make some serious changes when it arrives.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Clayton
United States
Hanceville
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
getdafunkout wrote:
sircaradoc wrote:
Explaining the really high ratings.


Many people really enjoyed playing it, so they rated the game highly.
Anything else I can help you with?


This is the answer to the question. A lot of people had a crap ton of fun playing Pandemic Legacy so they rated it highly.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.