Subject: Good Short Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Clark
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello BGG community. I am an avid gamer, have been for quiet some time now. My collection includes a lot of different games, including Summoner Wars, Ashes, Dead of Winter (Big Doug here), Ascension, BattleCON, Catan, BattleLore, etc. Also plenty of RPGs. However, I find my collection lacking in a specific type of game - short, "filler" type games. The only game I have to represent this category is BattleCON, and while I love BattleCON dearly, I obviously cannot just play BattleCON forever when I want to play a shorter game. I adore my long, drawn out RPGS and huge tactical war games or even a good Euro once in a while, but I find my time quite limited a lot, and a good, short game would be a great thing to put on a Christmas wish list.

So I am looking for recommendations. In addition to the background listed above, keep in mind the following requirements.

-Short (no more than 30 min once the players have the hang of it. I don't mind if it take slightly longer the first time around.)

-Easy to learn, but has some depth - I would play this game with both my casual gamer family and my more serious gamer friends. I obviously don't expect something that will rack my brain with strategic choices, but I also don't want a glorified version of Yahtzee or Go Fish

-Players competing - This is a must. I am not sure if there are even short co-op type games, but I know nobody I play with will have all that much fun with a co-op of that time length and depth level. Having the players actively fight each other is probably preferred, but having them compete independent of each other (more or less) to fulfill a common objective is also fine.

-Preferably a sci-fi/fantasy theme. Simply my tastes. This one is more flexible to me. Just, I do want a game with a theme! No cube-pushers or ultra-abstract please.

One such game I have been looking at is Boss Monster 1 and/or 2. I've read reviews, but I'd also like some here-and-now feedback, are they worth it? Are there are similar games that are better?

Thank you all so much in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two good options for you to consider:
Gravwell: Escape from the 9th Dimension - very fun and lively, easy to teach, plays in 30 minutes no problem.
Welcome to the Dungeon - nice, small card game with a dungeon-crawl theme and push-your-luck bidding (kind of). Perfect fantasy short filler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my recommendation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:

If he wants something that's easy for non-gamers to learn, Race for the Galaxy is not a good choice. The iconography is too much for most non-gamers (and even some gamers). The learning curve can be steep due to all the icons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Pearce
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I agree that Race for the Galaxy is a great game. If all players know it well you can play a game in about 20 minutes, but it has a super steep learning curve.

There are a lot of short filler games, but the sci-fi/fantasy theme is stumping me.

The only thing I've been able to come up with so far is Fist of Dragonstones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
Does Biblios have enough of a theme? Probably not.

How many players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Welcome to the dungeon is fantastic. Definitely worth checking out.

King of Tokyo and No Thanks are the 2 most popular filler games for my game group (with Sushi Go! coming up alongside Love Letter). Both play well with gamers and with non gamers.

One Night Revolution is a good shorter game, I don't know if you'd call it a filler, but it's definitely over within about 10 minutes or so once everyone knows the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamemanue wrote:
Tompy wrote:

If he wants something that's easy for non-gamers to learn, Race for the Galaxy is not a good choice. The iconography is too much for most non-gamers (and even some gamers). The learning curve can be steep due to all the icons.

Race fits all of the OP criteria amazingly well. You MUST have a great teacher of the game for it to be easy to learn, but that is not impossible. I have taught parents, non-gamers and my 5th grade students. Just don't just give the new players the rulebook and expect them to pick it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Clark
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the replies! I'll look into those first two, they seem great. I actually have Race For the Galaxy already, probably should have mentioned that, but it is not at all short, at least the way we play. I enjoy the game, but among my gamer group and my family, it definitely takes about an hour.

@Stephen Pearce, The sci-fi/fantasy theme is simply want I would prefer. It's fine if the game has a different theme, I have plenty non S/F games. I just want it to have SOME theme. My group and I are not big on abstracts.

@James Cullen, # of players actually is a surprisingly irrelevant thing. Among both my family and gamer group, the number of people we might have varies from time to time and we certainly aren't a group that has any issue with splitting up so people will be playing multiple games at once. Just, no games that REQUIRE a high amount of people, as I we typically don't have that many.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrumPhil wrote:
Two good options for you to consider:
Gravwell: Escape from the 9th Dimension - very fun and lively, easy to teach, plays in 30 minutes no problem.
Welcome to the Dungeon - nice, small card game with a dungeon-crawl theme and push-your-luck bidding (kind of). Perfect fantasy short filler.

I had a chance to play a 4 player game of Gravwell the other night and it was great. We were yelling(all in fun) at each other about our choices of cards and in the final turn there were 3 players who could have won. I was not 1 of those 3, but my card kept one of them from winning.
This was with my gaming group, but I want to pick up a copy for my wife and I to play with my parents(light gamers) because I think it will go over well with them as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I recommend that you take a look at Coup.
One of my favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
None of them are fantasy/sci-fi themed, but

For Sale
No Thanks!
Las Vegas

all play in about 30 minutes or less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sandgoblin18 wrote:
Thank you all for the replies! I'll look into those first two, they seem great. I actually have Race For the Galaxy already, probably should have mentioned that, but it is not at all short, at least the way we play. I enjoy the game, but among my gamer group and my family, it definitely takes about an hour.

@Stephen Pearce, The sci-fi/fantasy theme is simply want I would prefer. It's fine if the game has a different theme, I have plenty non S/F games. I just want it to have SOME theme. My group and I are not big on abstracts.

@James Cullen, # of players actually is a surprisingly irrelevant thing. Among both my family and gamer group, the number of people we might have varies from time to time and we certainly aren't a group that has any issue with splitting up so people will be playing multiple games at once. Just, no games that REQUIRE a high amount of people, as I we typically don't have that many.

Wow, an hour? With us, usually someone starts produce/consume or military/settle and the explore/combo slowpokes have to start doing something quick before the the game ends from cards/VP's.

I had another thought although it might be a bit long depending on playgroup- but really you can adjust the map size and victory condition to fit any length. Quantum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bradshaw
United States
Farmington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
markblasco wrote:

King of Tokyo and No Thanks are the 2 most popular filler games for my game group (with Sushi Go! coming up alongside Love Letter). Both play well with gamers and with non gamers.

2 great choices. Also, check out Lost Legacy, a neat little deduction game. Each round takes only about 10 minutes or so but you can play multiple rounds if you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Pearce
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sandgoblin18 wrote:

Okay, maybe in that case Guillotine or Gloom and +1 for Sushi Go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Simbürger
Germany
Bad Aibling
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Tiny Epic Galaxies. Great little space themed dice rolling games with some player interaction and some meaningful decisions, all that packed into a tight little game.

Our playgroup really loves this recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.