Ian Cooper
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Test Cricket Simulation

These rules add a little more complexity to the standard game in order to turn it into a good simulation of test cricket.

HOW IT WORKS
Test Cricket consists of two innings per side. The winner is the team with the highest cumulative total over both innings.
The team that bats first in the first innings will also bat first for the second innings, unless their score exceeds the other team’s by more than 150. In this case, they can choose to enforce a follow on, which means the other team must bat first.
As in real test cricket, at the end of the test match the losing side has to be able to complete both of their batting sessions, otherwise the game is a draw.
The game is best played in sessions of 30 overs each. Each day of the test comprises 90 overs: 30 overs in the morning, 30 in the afternoon and 30 in the evening. The match continues for 3, 4 or 5 days. Before each session the fielding player turns over a fielding card: if a '0' value card is drawn rain or poor light conditions stop play – skip to the next session.

Instead of using the two player rules in the back of the rulebook, use the four player rules but with the following changes:

FIELDING CARDS
Use the same rule as the Limited Overs Simulation.

ON STRIKE BATSMAN

QUICK SINGLES

RUN-OUTS

OTHER DISMISSALS

BOWLER QUALITY

BATSMAN QUALITY

FIELD PLACING
In test cricket adjustments to the field play a big role. To simulate this aspect the fielding team can, at the beginning of each over (after batsman quality card exchanges are made) remove up to 20 fielding cards from the fielding deck. At least one third of the cards removed must be catch cards. The cards removed from the deck are displayed for all players to see.

Setting an Attacking Field
Remove:
all (4) '6 catch' cards except the green '6 deep square leg' card;
all (5) '6 non-catch' cards;
all (3) '4 catch' cards except '4 mid off';
all (6) '4 non-catch' cards;
all (2) orange '3 non-catch' cards.

Setting a Defensive Field
Remove:
all (4) '0 catch' cards;
all (7) '0 non-catch' cards;
all (3) '1 catch' cards;
all (6) '1 non-catch' cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Limited Access - Wellycon XI - Back 5th June 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for bringing this to my notice! I used to play test matches with my own dice based system back in hose pre-teen years when I had much more time on my hands.

Just one minor point with real test cricket ... the standard number of runs for a follow-on is 200. For games of less than 4 days, the follow-on target is 50 runs per day's play. This includes days lost to rain, so that test matches that start on the third day after 2 days rain have a follow-on target of 150 runs. First class cricket matches are usually either 3- or 4-day games, and major finals (eg in NZ and Australia) are sometimes 5 days like a test match.

OK, sorry for that cricket geek out break..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Cooper
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments.

I used 150 for the follow on requirement because the likelihood of a follow-on in QuickSingle is quite small - scores tend to be low because the bowling is a bit overpowered. This is very apparent using the standard rules, but in my house rules I've adjusted the game to make it as realistic as possible. However, bowling is still a little overpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, everybody. I'm quite new on BGG, so I don't know whether it's ok to aks for the complete rules (or if BGG doesn't allow this because it harms the game's designer/author's rights).

Anyway, since the game doesn't seem to be available at all (except maybe ebay), I'd like to make it myself. But I would need the basic rules for the game.

So if anyone finds the time and will to do this, that would be great.

Cheers, Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.