Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone interpret this for me (AFA Victory Point condition)?

Quote:
If the Axis do not control more than one land area touching either the Arabian Sea and/or Mediterranean Sea.

My tiny mathematician brain says it must be either "and" or "or", but cannot possibly be "and/or". But mathematicians have a rather narrow meaning of the words "and" and "or" that I suspect do not quite apply here. (For that matter, I can think of four proper, distinct parsings of this sentence, but let's not go there).

Regardless, I am unclear how to score this VP.

I suspect this is trying to say, in essence: "The Axis control no more than one land area touching the Arabian Sea and no more than one land area touching the Mediterranean Sea". Is that correct?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:

Quote:
If the Axis do not control more than one land area touching either the Arabian Sea and/or Mediterranean Sea.

My tiny mathematician brain says it must be either "and" or "or", but cannot possibly be "and/or". But mathematicians have a rather narrow meaning of the words "and" and "or" that I suspect do not quite apply here. (For that matter, I can think of four proper, distinct parsings of this sentence, but let's not go there).

I suspect this is trying to say, in essence: "The Axis control no more than one land area touching the Arabian Sea and no more than one land area touching the Mediterranean Sea". Is that correct?

Thanks!

I've interpreted it as requiring the AFA to reduce the Axis to no more than one land area TOTAL bordering the Med and Arabian Seas. Examples might make my point more clearly: if the Axis still hold Greece and Abyssinia (and no other places bordering the Med or Arabian Sea), the AFA wouldn't get the VP for this condition. If the Axis still hold Greece and Yugoslavia (and no other places bordering the Med or Arabian Sea), no AFA VP.

I'm only 80% confident in my answer, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Olvenskol wrote:

Quote:

I've interpreted it as requiring the AFA to reduce the Axis to no more than one land area TOTAL bordering the Med and Arabian Seas.

Wendell is correct, 1 land area touching either (or both in the case of Eypgt) of those two sea areas. (I wrote "and/or" because of the area that touches both of those seas, Egypt, btw.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocketman
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Olvenskol wrote:

Quote:

Thanks!

I've interpreted it as requiring the AFA to reduce the Axis to no more than one land area TOTAL bordering the Med and Arabian Seas. Examples might make my point more clearly: if the Axis still hold Greece and Abyssinia (and no other places bordering the Med or Arabian Sea), the AFA wouldn't get the VP for this condition. If the Axis still hold Greece and Yugoslavia (and no other places bordering the Med or Arabian Sea), no AFA VP.

I'm only 80% confident in my answer, though.

That's how I've been interpreting it.

Heh. Dave beat me by one minute. At least I interpreted correctly. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.