4 Posts

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: House rule for leader role rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Son Huynh
Finland
flag msg tools
While waiting for the possible new rule in the expansion, I was thinking of a house rule to make the leader role more meaningful.

The rule is like this:
For me a leader in a zombie apocalypse should "work" more than the anyone else. A simple way to keep track of that is the action dice. So instead of placing the used dice into "Used action dice" space, now the dice are placed directly on the survivors that used them.

At the next round's Roll action dice phase, look at the difference in number between the leader's used dice and the follower that used the most dice.
-If the leader used more dice, in this round the player may increase the number of dice equal to the difference by 1, starting from the lowest die upwards.
-If there is no difference, rolling results are kept as normal.
-If the leader used less dice, the group is dissapointed and all the dice are decreased by 1 in value this round.

Example: I have Bev Russell as leader and Forest Plum as follower (3 action dice).

Bev used 2 dice and Forest used 1. So next round when I roll for new dice I may increase (2 - 1 = 1) lowest die by 1 in value. So if the roll result is [1]-[2]-[4] it will be changed to [2]-[2]-[4].

If somehow Bev used less dice than Forest there will be a penalty, so the roll result above would be changed to [1]-[1]-[3] (result of 1 cannot be decreased further).

*Player can change leader at the end of their round, but then next round they will face penalty as if the leader underperformed. (Cost of rebellion )
*If the leader dies, next round the penalty will also be applied, then the player can pick new leader.

I think this variant is nice because it encourages you to choose the most appropriate leader for the objectives. I also find it not very difficult to make your leader work more if you chose a good one from the start and pay attention when asigning works. It creates another small layer of thinking because sometimes you will have to sacrifice your best move in order for your leader to have more work

Still there is a problem as many characters don't need a die in order to activate their ability, so their work may go unnoticed. However I find most of them to have other good attributes that compensate. For example, Harman, Sparky, Rod and Buddy have good attack/search values and do not die easily. Gray, Analeigh, Talia and Sophie have some extremely good attack/search values. The only survivors I found are not leader material are Brian, James Meyers, Olivia, Ashley, Gabriel and of course, Forest Plum.

I have yet to test this in a big group, but from my 2 players experience it was quite good. And it doesn't complicate the game too much also laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Nehring
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sounds interesting. Might be simpler to allow the leader to increase one die they use by one point every turn. That way there is some benefit to being team leader. I have never seen any benefit to the title. Then again I could have missed something in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Swanson
United States
North Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's interesting, I've only played a few games but I had exactly the opposite reaction. I felt like as you got more survivors and therefore more dice it was less "more people all doing some things" and more "one super-survivor doing all of the things", which my group agrees doesn't really feel quite right. We are tinkering with limiting the number of actions of the same type (search, attack, etc.) any given one survivor can do to 2. It doesn't come up a whole lot but prevents the search spam turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Son Huynh
Finland
flag msg tools
TheDouglas wrote:
Sounds interesting. Might be simpler to allow the leader to increase one die they use by one point every turn. That way there is some benefit to being team leader. I have never seen any benefit to the title. Then again I could have missed something in the rules.

That sounds nice, seems quite similar to the ability of Brian Lee the mayor. I could imagine it to be a little bit more powerful compared to my mechanics though (being able to increase any dice of your choice can give a bigger benefit than being forced to increase the lowest dice, which most of the time will be used for building barricade anyway).

swornabsent wrote:
That's interesting, I've only played a few games but I had exactly the opposite reaction. I felt like as you got more survivors and therefore more dice it was less "more people all doing some things" and more "one super-survivor doing all of the things", which my group agrees doesn't really feel quite right. We are tinkering with limiting the number of actions of the same type (search, attack, etc.) any given one survivor can do to 2. It doesn't come up a whole lot but prevents the search spam turns.

Well I can understand that. I personally have no problem with that though. Some survivors are more fitted to certain objectives. Maybe you can think this way: the dice are not energy source but responsibility. So for example when you're in college and onto some project, if your team has more members, usually the requirement is higher. And if one of your team mates don't have a certain neccessary skill while you're excellent at it, it's logical that you take more responsibility and don't complain. Maybe in the future your friend can help you back for another project. And I also don't think the teacher will purnish your team as long as the result is satisfied

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.