Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games Good for Travel rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
"The day we stop exploring is the day we commit ourselves to live in a stagnant world, devoid of curiosity, empty of dreams." - Neil deGrasse Tyson
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I am seeking recommendations for medium-complexity board games that are good for traveling, ie. they should not have a million components that will get lost in the hotel room and are not too complex so non board gamers can get into it as well. Additionally, the games need to be language independent because not everyone in our travel group speaks English, which unfortunately, pretty much excludes the entire american-style genre. Bummer because those are my favorite!

Anyway, last year, we did a test run and had good result with Santiago de Cuba and 8 Minute Empire (although, since I made my own version of the later [ 15-Minute Chaos ] no one really wants to play the original any more). I was looking at Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small, but that is only for two players (we need at least four-player games, although five would be even better).

Lastly, it would be nice if the games recommended had some sort of theme or "backstory" behind them. You know, why you are doing what you are doing. I can think of few things more boring than those dry Euro games where the theme is there only for show. That pretty much excludes almost all Reiner Knizia games; I was never able to enjoy any of them unfortunately.

Update: We would also like to avoid party games, as those generally tend to be luck based, too random. We are looking for something with a bit more, I guess, "substance."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goodman
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Travel Games for Non Board Gamers
Dixit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
"The day we stop exploring is the day we commit ourselves to live in a stagnant world, devoid of curiosity, empty of dreams." - Neil deGrasse Tyson
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Travel Games for Non Board Gamers
AnalyticGamer wrote:

Thank you, but that would be a bit on the party game side, which is not really what we are looking for. I apologize for not stating that in my opening comment!

We would like something with a bit of a substance where you are encouraged to think and/or cooperate, and most party games are not like that. They are too random, too luck based.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goodman
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheriff of Nottingham?
It's fairly language independent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is what I travel with. We travel a lot on the trains here in Europe so they fit on the four seat tables...

Black & White - small board war game similar but not really to Memoir franchise.

The Duke - chess-like game with tiles for men.

Star Wars Carcassonne

Star Realms

Epic

Then we also have some lighter card games like Port Royal, Love Letters and Bohnanza.

But that is just what we bring. All of that fits well in my backpack. -m
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne ends up being very small if you ditch the scorin board and just bring the tiles and meeples, and use paper and pen for the scoring. And it is totally language independent.

Alhambra is similar; language independent and only needs cards and tiles.

To Court the King is just dice and a small stack of cards. Completely language independent and beautifully done. Very thought provoking for a dice game. Was recently re-implemented with expansion and such by Favor of the Pharaoh, which I have not played so I don't know how muh more space it would take up.

I like Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age, which although small is made of wood and therefore heavier than the other two.

Province is a surprisingly deep micro-game but it only plays two.

Those are the ones that quickly come to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe take a look at Stockpile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are all great recommendation; thank you all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noah
Pocket Rockets
Pocket Imperium
Sobek
Condottiere
Red November
There's a bunch of small sized boxes that contain a lot of game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smaller, travel sized games I've enjoyed include:
Isle of Trains
Tiny Epic Galaxies
The Great Heartland Hauling Co.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dead Man's Draw
Jaipur
Sky Tango

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragon Run

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.