ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite game of 2015 ! meeple

Things that I like: cool

1. I find the actions to make a good thematic connection. Although abstracted to a bare minimum, they make sense.

2. Very charming artwork. I find the little illustrations on the tiles to be quite nice, and the iconography (although small) is clean and functional.

3. The timing is so crucial. When do you activate your residences ? Thematically indicating that citizens inhabit certain parts of your cities and make use of the local establishments, events, etc. When do you pass? Since it'll make your opponent money everytime that you do so.

4. There are variable paths to victory which I always enjoy. Do you concentrate on the fight for military glory and all it's huge VP perks? Or will you make the city flourish through all of your artistic endeavours, which is also a huge VP machine. You can also build beautiful temples that'll carry your legacy for centuries to come (Endgame VP's) There's a nice amount of things to think about.

5. The engine building is very satisfying. It feels really good to activate an entire section of your city and collect a bunch of resources and at the right time, make a huge combo.

5. It plays great with 2 players and there's nice replay value, since the tiles won't ever come out on the same order. And others won't even come out at all.

Things that I dislike: gulp

My only complaint is that of the components. Since this was made by a relatively small Japanese developer, the materials aren't great by today's standards. The tiles themselves I don't have a problem with, but I recognize that they are a bit on the thin side. The resource chits, & military/arts tokens are downright awful and some pimping will be welcomed.

Final Thoughts: whistle

Gameplay wise, this is a great middleweight Tile Laying Euro that plays in about 45 minutes to an hour with 2p. It's not heavy on player interaction so it has the usual "I took the tile that you wanted" situations and the race to being the first to perform the current Arts activities, and the per round competition for Military Glory (which will award the player with the most of it, the highest amount of VP's). So it's definitely not a multiplayer solitaire since you always need to keep an eye on what your opponent is doing. The game has a good amount of replay value, great mechanisms, plays quick, and the gameplay is filled with tension on every turn. Imho, there's never a dull moment throughout. If that all sounds good to you, you should look into it. Glen More is my favorite tile layer of all time, but this is a close second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter B
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SapoLJackson wrote:

Things that I dislike: gulp

My only complaint is that of the components. Since this was made by a relatively small Japanese developer, the materials aren't great by today's standards. The tiles themselves I don't have a problem with, but I recognize that they are a bit on the thin side. The resource chits, & military/arts tokens are downright awful and some pimping will be welcomed.

I actually like the components. They make more thematic sense than some colored cubes to me and is a little different than you expect. What I have a problem with is the size of the box. A little bigger would make it so much easier to include a component box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually like the box size, I wish every game I own would be in that specific size, not too small..not too big. The components are not what one would expect, true. But I guess am just a sucker for cubes. Am a spoiled euro gamer through and through laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palau Life
msg tools
Have you played this solo ever?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Long
United States
New London
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
Oh. +1 on "How does it play solo?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No I have not. I am going to try it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terje Vedaa Naustheller
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo is good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.