Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought it in 2012 May but haven't played it until two years later with the expansions in Oct 2014! Shame on me. When I get started, I can't stop. My profile told me that I have completed 1725 games already. Given its popularity, I am surprised by the only one review availiable here in BGG. So here it goes with my quick review in pros and cons form:

Pros:
1. Lavish and consistent enough wood-graved card art.
2. Quick gameplay, perfect as a time-filler for ten minutes anywhere you have an iOS device.
3. Endless combinations of cards means every time the game play is different.
4. Many card decks for choosing to suit your taste to the gameplay styles of methods. As of this review, there are a total of eight different card sets with unique themes each.
5. Excellent theme on mystics and esoteric philosophy.
6. Online opponent is easy to find, and many of them are fearful opponents.
7. Two ways to win: Beat the most monsters or collect the most valued cards into your deck in the game, or combination of both.
8. A very situationist card game. You have to pay attention on what's going on in the center row and the style of your opponent play continuously and consiously .
9. The "play all" cards button really speeds up the game nicely, at least in the initial stage of the game when there is little or no thought about which card should be played first and which later.
10. Given the speed of play, it is extremely suitable for multiplayer gaming experience in which you don't have to wait a "thousand" years to the next move.

Cons:
1. Card art is sometimes excessive though to an extent that they might be hard to differentiate, and sometimes, dizzying to look at.
2. Just basic counting of the game win-loose statistics. You don't know how good or bad you are in the world. A leader ladder which is common in other similar app games should be available here.
3. You are beating the monsters in the pool, not your opponent. Virtually, Ascension is a first-to-race across the post game, not a head-to-head fight game.
4. To some this is a purely mathematical problem solving game. The complexion of the cards multiplies when you lengthen your tail of the cards in hand. The longer the tail, the more options you have. Certainly it is a game with specific target player in mind. It might not be the type of game you look for.
5. The theme might be a stranger, perhaps too intimidating, to some. The connection between the title of the card and the effects of it. At times, I am asking myself why I have to banish such and such card from my hand.

Overall, Ascension is a game of high re-playability, entertaining, and very creative card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.