Hide
12 Posts

Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game» Forums » Reviews

Subject: My short review and thoughts on Warhammer Quest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
devastadus bam
msg tools
Hi, I’m Scott, I got Warhammer quest and I hope my opinions help out others deciding to buy. For reference I’m a guy who has also played pathfinder adventure card game and The Lord of the Rings the living card game. This game scratches the same *itch* if you will. Go on a quest fight some bad guys and come out victorious. The strengths of this game is that it is simple, and has some strategy. You only have 4 actions. Aid, explore, rest and attack. You must along with your party strategically use your abilities to find a way to overcome the danger you are facing. Each character is different has some strengths and weaknesses and plays different.

The enemies are various and have cool varies, such as hit and run enemies, archers that shoot you from a distance, powerful in your face orcs, annoying spiders that web you and disable you. Depending on the location, enemies you encounter will make you have to decide what strategy you want to do to overcome the obstacles. You could fight, try to push them back in the shadows and try to run away or exhausts the dangerous ones while you try to kill the smaller ones and take him out for example. On a quest you pick random cards for locations and monsters which is similar to pathfinder and lord of the rings.

I can see people complaining about the randomness with the dice but It is really not that random. There’s only one side of a dice without a success so your chances are greater to get more successes then what you expect so the random variance is quiet small. Getting a few critical successes and pulling off some amazing moves is always fun. There were various times I was on my seat because we were on the edge of losing, but a lucky crit streak or drawing the right enemy at the right time would lead us to live on another turn.

I could also see people complain that the game could be almost too simple. But there is a ton of depth in these simple rules. The game is also easy to setup/teardown, teach, runs smooth. Best of all for me some of the latter campaign quest are challenging which is something that the pathfinder game lacked. I will admit I was so Immersed that I didn’t realize 4 hours went a playing it.

Out of the other games I like this one the best. Pathfinder although I liked the progression finding loot, building my deck and upgrading my character as I go. The gameplay was to simple, repetitive and I got bored. There were no times in pathfinder I got close to losing unless I played recklessly. Lord of the rings I grew out of deck building, it became to taxing on me and became just about min/maxing our deck for whatever scenario. Sometimes I just wanted to play and didn’t want to worry about building a deck. I guess these are issues all LCG formats. Love them or hate it, it wasn’t for me. Also there was no progression or loot lord of the rings.

My only complaint is that I wish there was more, I guess this is standard for a Fantasy flight games where the first core set is almost always lacking. Only one 5 quest campaign and a delver quest. Compared to pathfinder the campaign is short, but progresses quicker and feels satisfying. For the $26 bucks from CSI it is worth the money.
I will say I like it and dig the hell out of this game. If you want a quick co-op dungeon adventure game, it is totally worth a go. FFG make expansions faster!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petteri Heino
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I completely agree. It's a light and fun game. I haven't played a campaign yet. I only practiced the mechanics of the game and i'm looking for playing it more. I was actually thinking that this is the first game that makes dice rolling fun when playing solo game.

I think the scenarios are more interesting in this game when comparing to Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. I also agree that the only thing that is missing is more campaigns and cards.

I guess i'll be having a fun christmas with this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. A great fun game. As a child of the 80's the whole Warhammer setting is very nostalgic for me (I had HeroQuest and Advanced HeroQuest, Talisman etc, and used to paint mini's as well as model aircraft). As I'm not a child any more (on the outside anyway ; ) this game really hits the sweet spot for me. A solo dungeon crawling fix in an evocative setting, without having to invest in a sprawling endless money pit. Although that perhaps remains to be seen. I will definitely be able to justify a few expansions that FFG will probably / hopefully release : )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik G
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's the sort of game I wish they had done with a Conan theme... I totally agree on the LCG issue; I really enjoyed the first part of LOTR, but as I went along it became too much about a few critical cards. Buying a whole adventure pack for that one silver bullet card just wasn't worth it. And if I wanted to try a different strategy it almost always came down to the same core cards. So I'm very intrigued by this, even though I'm not a Warhammer fan, and would have preferred a Conan game. I recently introduced my eight year old son to Elder Sign and this seems to be in a similar vein so I think he'd enjoy it. Thanks for the review, going to read the manuals now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NikToo wrote:
It's the sort of game I wish they had done with a Conan theme... I totally agree on the LCG issue; I really enjoyed the first part of LOTR, but as I went along it became too much about a few critical cards. Buying a whole adventure pack for that one silver bullet card just wasn't worth it. And if I wanted to try a different strategy it almost always came down to the same core cards. So I'm very intrigued by this, even though I'm not a Warhammer fan, and would have preferred a Conan game. I recently introduced my eight year old son to Elder Sign and this seems to be in a similar vein so I think he'd enjoy it. Thanks for the review, going to read the manuals now.

I'm with you on the Conan sentiment. Give me a Conan game worthy of its name, by Crom!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zemus wrote:
NikToo wrote:

I'm with you on the Conan sentiment. Give me a Conan game worthy of its name, by Crom!!

I have high hopes for Conan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juhan Voolaid
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talk more about "easy to set up" part. Do I have sort any cards out, etc? What are campaigns, do they have to set up in particular way?

I really want it to be easily set up. I also would like it to be customizable - meaning to have more replayability. I'm afraid, the campaigns are scripted, hope I am wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Wuis
Netherlands
Arkel
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mb
setup consists of creating a monster deck consisting of a few groups of named monsters, A group consists of 2 normal monsters and an elite monster with the same name. These monsters are combined with some random amount of random normal monsters of the same tier as the quest and some elite monsters of the same tier as the quest. This doesn't take that long you need to sort out about 16 cards or so out of a deck of 50.

Then you have to create a location deck by picking some random locations of the particular quest tier and usually adding a specific quest related end location on the bottom

the dungeon deck & gear deck is made by just picking a set amount of their respective decks.

then you add any campaign pool cards to their respective decks. then you're set to go

it takes about 5 to 10 minutes with shuffling. I think if you use a proper filing system you can easily get this way below 5 minutes, also because all the decks are quite small, shuffling can be done pretty quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juhan Voolaid
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the explanation.

Wuisch wrote:

the dungeon deck & gear deck is made by just picking a set amount of their respective cards.

Could you explain this a bit. What does it mean that gear cards must match to their respective cards?

I really did not like how it was in Thunderstone, that it was necessary to set up the available cards so, that they would work in this particular game. Like if there is a magical monster, there must be magical gear - you cannot just pick this randomly, otherwise it is "broken". So this made it so frustrating to set up that it needed external software, to generate a valid set-up cards.

I really hope this game does not have that problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernst-Jan Viergever
Netherlands
Veenendaal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
the dungeon deck & gear deck is made by just picking a set amount of their respective cards

"respective cards" should be replaced with their respective "decks".

There is no such thing as matching the dungeon cards with gear cards as you describe. Simply draw a random amount of cards from each deck.

I have played the game several times now and setup is really quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Wuis
Netherlands
Arkel
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mb
I could have made that clearer. What I meant was that you pick a number of cards from all the dungeon cards to create a dungeon deck and a number of all the gear cards to create a gear deck. these are just a random selection from all the cards. I think there are 2 quest specific dungeon cards that get added after you've created these decks. same with the Legendary gear cards that get added from the campaign pool to the gear deck after you've created the deck from a random selection of the gear cards. The rules are also available online which explains this quite well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ackerman
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The War Against Giygas!
badge
You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
mbmbmbmbmb
The non-campaign "Delve Quest" is even easier to set up because you're just shuffling each of the decks as they are and removing a few cards from each deck. The only tricky part is that you need to stagger the location and monster decks into two and three different tiers respectively, so that you're not facing overwhelming odds too early on, but that should only take a couple extra minutes. I think this is the quest that I will be getting the most replay value out of, even as the game starts expanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.