Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martijn Wuis
Netherlands
Arkel
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mb
Seeing as there weren't a lot of reviews and impressions posted about the game yet I thought I'd write down a small piece about my experience so far, Granted I've only played the tutorial and the first campaign mission so I've only clocked in about two hours, Also this is my first First impressions so be gentle.

Short Bio
So lately me and the SO were in a bit of a gaming slump, we had a lot of games but we never managed to get them to the table for various reasons, mostly to do with not wanting to spend a lot of time setting up games and not having the time to play long games and me being a bad loser so prefering coop games so that my wife will continue to play games with me. But a week ago I was checking the OFGS and my eye fell on WACG(Warhammer Adventure Card Game), The idea of adventure card games appeal to me because of the dungeon crawl feel without all the downsides of a real miniature dungeon crawl,
I have Descent 2e but never get it to the table due to set up time /play time also it's not great with 2. And there's a lot of referring to manuals and what not.
I had a brief stint with PACG(Pathfinder Adventure Card Game) after 2 packs our interest in playing it dropped mainly to do with the long set up time and the cards being too much alike,I wasn't terribly excited by getting +1 on my rolls or getting to roll with a d8 instead of a d6 and such and it did come down to a lot of rolling the dice and hoping you didn't roll crappily.
I also have the starter set of LOTR which was okay to play, but we're both not people who are really into deck tuning/building.

Anyhow I briefly researched it and this seemed exactly up my alley combining all the things I liked from the previous games while removing the things I disliked. And it was being released in 3 days so I took the plunge.

Session report
So yesterday we started out with the tutorial just before heading to bed. it was already late but I had it set up and told the SO that we could finish it in 30 minutes and then she'd be up to speed. Because I usually research the games I have mostly already gotten the rules down while my wife is going in blank. This sometimes causes some alpha gamer gaming for me, But this was nicely countered by the tutorial. Just like digital tutorials you can't really lose but it does give a nice quick look at what the game is about and how the rounds work without having to explain it during the campaign when every mistake can matter and because it was so easy I could just calmly explain and make some mistakes without it mattering too much. I felt like the rules were pretty clear and I didn't have to look up too much, And most of the important things I could find pretty easily in either of the booklets.
We finished the tutorial in 20 or so minutes, we both had a good time and a feel for the game.I think it works really well to explain the game and let new players get quickly acquainted before diving into the campaign.
Today we started the first quest, I was pleasantly surprised that I managed to set it up in about 5 to 10 minutes, but I think the next quests will easily be within the 5-minute mark. As I mentioned previously this is very important for me to get a game to the table being able to get started quickly after we decided to play something and this seems to fulfill that goal admirably.
We started the quest and had a great time, We finished in about 75 minutes I'd guess which isn't bad for the first real game.Shortish playtime is also important for us because we almost never have more than about 90 minutes to play something so this fits right into that time slot and I'm sure we could have easily finished within 60 minutes with some practice so that's also a big plus for us.
The quest started easy and I think before the last location we had killed all the enemies and everything was looking dandy but then the final location popped up making us spawn 5 enemies + the nemesis. Anyhow because we were with only 2 this was quite overwhelming(I guess this would be slightly less overwhelming with 4 players). We both had a lot of hitpoints left we forged the plan to quickly explore the location forgetting about all the enemies engaged with us, but we needed a whopping 10 success tokens to fully explore the final location and handing us victory.
Because of some lucky rolls we just managed to achieve this on the last action in the hero phase, we won with me having 1 hp left and my wife saving the day by exploring the last location with I think 4 hitpoints left. This was a pretty exciting end for us especially as it was looking so easy before that last room.

First Impressions
So far it has really kickstarted my board gaming habit again. I can't wait to play the next quest and I think this might be the first campaign system we might actually finish because it is only 5 shortish games. This might seem short, but I think its excellent way to make sure that you're not playing the same class for weeks on end. and can switch it up a bit with different characters and combinations.
We found about 4 gear items on our first quest and the variety between items really surprised me, I was expecting PACG items like give a +1 bonus on your rolls, but there was a really nice flavor to the items like a dagger letting you do extra damage to exhausted enemies or a stiletto letting you bypass armor. Making the decision on which equipment to keep much more interesting(Since it was the first quest you can only carry 1 equipment item).
What we really enjoyed was the constant back and forth between players for all the rounds and actions.
All the actions by themselves don't take very long and because it switches every time the other player doesn't have to wait long before it is his or her turn again. Which is pretty great and keeps us both engaged with the game.
During the first quest I only had to briefly consult the rules book two times in total I think which was pretty good because I really like to get things right and usually I always have to look up those little details, but here I felt most things were pretty intuitive and not too complicated(I had also already looked here so I had the answers to some common questions already which also might have helped). Anyhow, I think the game is pretty elegant which also helps the game be about decisions instead of wrapping your head around complex interactions.
and the final thing I like about the game is the Dice.
I've had so many games of descent where I roll a white cross and my turn was done that I really appreciated that the worst that can happen on your dice here is that you just reduce damage by 1. But the other faces all make you succeed in varying levels. This really reduces the RNG in this game compared to PACG which I thought was a nice touch and also helps to make you feel that it was your decisions causing you to win the game and not lucky rolls.

the only thing that I thought was kind of strange but maybe I was just lucky with the amount of loot I got from the quest was the option to go to the blacksmith in the settlement. you can look at 2 gear items here and pick 1 and discard the other. but to do this you give up either an advanced action or the ability to equip more gear. And because I already found so much gear in the quest I can't think of a situation where I'd rather have some non legendary gear than a advanced skill or the ability to carry extra equipment found while questing. but this is a small nitpick that in no way affected our enjoyment of the game.

Wife's opinion
My wife also said she really enjoyed it. Mostly because I wasn't alpha gaming as much and because she saved the day and felt that she was making a difference and her own choices.

So far this game is a really nice addition to our collection filling up a niche that wasn't covered by our other games so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brady Sadler
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing this! Very glad that you and your wife enjoyed yourselves
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sadler
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great write up, thanks for sharing! I'm very glad you are enjoying the game. Your comment about gear makes me wonder if you were sticking to your gear capacity limits. You can only have one gear each until you increase your gear capacity in the settlement phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Cat Five
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So I haven't played a full campaign yet but I imagine it would be more exciting to dig in the gear deck once your campaign pool has seeded it with a couple of legendary armaments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mlodzkoski
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ngajoe wrote:
So I haven't played a full campaign yet but I imagine it would be more exciting to dig in the gear deck once your campaign pool has seeded it with a couple of legendary armaments.

True! Also, when you have more players each player will get less gear during the game thus blacksmith becomes more relevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Wuis
Netherlands
Arkel
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mb
Sorenthion wrote:
Great write up, thanks for sharing! I'm very glad you are enjoying the game. Your comment about gear makes me wonder if you were sticking to your gear capacity limits. You can only have one gear each until you increase your gear capacity in the settlement phase.

We were sticking to 1 item per character and no trading but we still found 4 items during the quest, 2 of which were discarded. But I guess the blacksmith can be used between the 4th and 5th quest when you've maxxed capacity and you have seeded it with some nice legendary gear. I just think that in a 2 player game going to the blacksmith is a bit lackluster because you probably have to replace some gear you found during questing and choosing between 2 does not give you a great chance to find something better. Unless you know the legendary gearis in the last 2 or 3 cards I suppose. And it probably is a lot better in a 4 player game.

So basically my only niggle about this game is that the settlement phase could be expanded in a later expansion perhaps to give you more interesting decisions on what to do. But I do feel the decision on which skill to upgrade is pretty meaningful. I will see how it plays out in further quests. It's really a pretty small thing that has no effect on my enjoyment of the game itself

Also thank you guys very much for designing such a fun game,I also feel the theme really comes through with the rolling for engaged enemies and such and it really does give that dungeon crawly feel.
I'll try and get a proper review up once we've went through the campaign

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sadler
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wuisch wrote:
Sorenthion wrote:

We were sticking to 1 item per character and no trading but we still found 4 items during the quest, 2 of which were discarded. But I guess the blacksmith can be used between the 4th and 5th quest when you've maxxed capacity and you have seeded it with some nice legendary gear. I just think that in a 2 player game going to the blacksmith is a bit lackluster because you probably have to replace some gear you found during questing and choosing between 2 does not give you a great chance to find something better. Unless you know the legendary gearis in the last 2 or 3 cards I suppose. And it probably is a lot better in a 4 player game.

So basically my only niggle about this game is that the settlement phase could be expanded in a later expansion perhaps to give you more interesting decisions on what to do. But I do feel the decision on which skill to upgrade is pretty meaningful. I will see how it plays out in further quests. It's really a pretty small thing that has no effect on my enjoyment of the game itself

Also thank you guys very much for designing such a fun game,I also feel the theme really comes through with the rolling for engaged enemies and such and it really does give that dungeon crawly feel.
I'll try and get a proper review up once we've went through the campaign

Gotcha! I would definitely love to add more options to the settlement phase. I already have tons of ideas for it.

Thanks for the kind words, Brady and I have been giddy all weekend reading so many positive opinions of the game online. Plus, we've been playing it like crazy ourselves!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hell ORC
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just so cool to know that you guys are playing your game yourselves and reading our opinions online! I'll bet you are proud as hell -I would surely be- of the game you guys designed.
Well... keep up the good work! (I am extremely happy to know that you "already have tons of ideas for it".)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.