Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
mbmbmbmbmb
We just had our first game (basic rules, 5 rounds, 2p with the Duel expansion) and 5 have a very hard time calling the experiance enjoyable. Now as the game is a) very well received and b) the kind of game I usually seem to like, I would loive to hear from more experieced players what we might have done wrong (not so much the rules but in our general approach)

Now let me try and explain where the game didn't work for me:

We felt that while there is a lot to do in theory, in reality the game was too short (and maybe money too tight) to get anything done at all, which left us feeling very much underwhelmed.
There was hardly any chance to get any new tricks let alone new staff (and even if we had gotten new staff there would have been a real problem of paying them plus with two spaces blocked every round there wouldn't have been all that much to do for them). So we ended up with one additional trick for my wife and two for me, all of them of the lowest threshhold which we were barely able to perform once. None of us got new staff and we ended up with around 25 points (I won by maybe 2 points but it all felt a bit arbitrary).

One thing we might have done wrong is overspend on the market row (the idea was to shop in advance so you wouldn't have to go there evyr round), which made money even tighter.

Any ideas what we might have overlooked, could do differently to make the game more enbjoyable? I really feel that there is a game in there that I might like a lot more...

Any feedback is very much appreciated!

PS: I figured it might make sense to add rounds even without the Dark Alley (and maybe start with two experts instead of one)but am reluctant to introduce house rules this quickly...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Catley
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
PasiMax wrote:
One thing we might have done wrong is overspend on the market row (the idea was to shop in advance so you wouldn't have to go there evyr round), which made money even tighter.

I'm not familiar with the game yet, I'm waiting for my Kickstarter copy, and the rules aren't really sinking in until I've got the game in front of me. Nevertheless, this comment made me think you might be doing something wrong. You know that you don't use up the components when you prepare a trick, yes? You have them permanently (I believe), until you need to make space for a different component.

Apologies if you're doing this right, it was just something I inferred from your comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you use actions to lower prices? I believe I remember this from the rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moose and Monkey are right, there are many ways to save money. Also there should be no problem starting doing performances in the first or second round and doing so brings money. As does just preparing tricks which generates money via linking (if you choose so).

This said i played the base game only once and i agree that it could get fairly repetitive after a while. The main game with dark alley etc. is where it counts and i love it. But it is a BIIIG, long and also a bit complicated game, not suited to teach the game to beginners.

What works fantastic are the special add on 2 player rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys

We did lower prices frequently.

...and yes even after reading the rules more than once, I missed the rule that components are not used up...should make a huge difference! (but it makes no sense thematically whatsoever!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it does make sense thematically.
In order to perform a trick, you do not "use up" the ressources used in this trick. You can then perform the trick multiple times with just these components.
Granted, there might be tricks that use up certain materials, but usually, you can and will reuse them with the same trick.

And some of the materials you might even be able to repurpose for other tricks...

Card tricks don't use up cards (if they do not requre a new card deck each time). Tricks with cloth don't necessarily use up the cloth. Animals CAN be hurt, but most tricks don't hurt them. Etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
PasiMax wrote:
Thanks guys

We did lower prices frequently.

...and yes even after reading the rules more than once, I missed the rule that components are not used up...should make a huge difference! (but it makes no sense thematically whatsoever!)

Imagine that the goods on the player board represent a 'standing order' for those goods, rather than a one-off order for a specific amount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.