Mice and Mystics: Downwood Tales» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ability-- "Regroup" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tsai MingChih
Taiwan
flag msg tools
hello,

How work about "Regroup"? It says "Re-arrange the order of any or all non-boss cards lower than this mouse on the initiative track."

I wonder know what means about "any or all non-boss cards".

Does "any" means one friendly mouse ?

So I can Re-arrange a friendly mice "or" all non-boss cards lower than this mouse on the initiative track.

Or the ability means "any non-boss cards or all non-boss cards"?

So I can Re-arrange any non-boss cards or all non-boss cards lower than this mouse on the initiative track.

Which is right?

thans a lot~~

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can rearrange any cards below this mouse's card, except cards that belong to boss minions.
It doesn't matter what type of cards they are: mice, minions or pets.

So cards that belong to boss minions stay at the initiative spots that they are, you can't move them. But for any (number of) other cards, you can put them in each other's positions in any way you like.

Hope it makes a little more sense that way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tsai MingChih
Taiwan
flag msg tools
Teeka wrote:
You can rearrange any cards below this mouse's card, except cards that belong to boss minions.

So cards that belong to boss minions stay at the initiative spots that they are, you can't move them. But for any (number of) other cards, you can put them in each other's positions in any way you like.

thank you~ I know what you mean.

But my confuse is 【any cards below this mouse's card, except cards that belong to boss minions】 including 【all non-boss cards】,and why it specially say 【any or all】?

It can just say 【Re-arrange the order of any non-boss cards lower than this mouse on the initiative track】.

So I think 【any】 or 【all】 ,they are different meanings at the beginning.

Such as 【any one card (include mice,minions and pets) below this mouse's card, except cards that belong to boss minions】 orall non-boss cards (exclude mice and pets)】.

Am I wrong?

Or it just want to say 【any number of】 or 【all】?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carey370 wrote:
Teeka wrote:

thank you~ I know what you mean.

But my confuse is " any cards below this mouse's card, except cards that belong to boss minions" including "all non-boss cards",and why it specially say "any or all"?

It can just say "Re-arrange the order of any non-boss cards lower than this mouse on the initiative track".

So I think "any" or "all" ,they are different meanings at the beginning.

Such as "any one card(include mice,minions and pets) below this mouse's card, except cards that belong to boss minions" or " all non-boss cards (exclude mice and pets).

Am I wrong?

any or all means that you can move 1 or more of them, including every single one

any or all is simply an idiomatic, fixed expression. i wouldn't worry too much about trying to decipher it grammatically because fixed expressions often lose normally compulsory words, but any in this case it includes the option of not moving some if you wish

so think of 'all' as the baseline

if it said, 'move all,' you would have to move each and every single card, and you are forced to move every card, even if you wanted one or more to stay where they were.

by saying 'any or all,' it means that you can omit some and leave them where they are if you choose (not possible with just 'all'). you have to move at least 1 though

if it simply said 'move any card' or 'move any cards,' it would be a little confusing semantically. for the first utterance, it would typically need the 'any one card,' as you said in your post, to be absolutely clear.
in the second, it's confusing about the upper and lower limits (can you move just one, can you move all of them? for native speakers, it's not completely clear)
these aren't grammatical decisions, just pragmatic for the sake of clarity

so bringing it back, 'any or all' means at least 1 and any number up to and including the maximum. so if there are 5 cards, you can 1, 2, 3, 4, or all 5 of them.

for 6 cards, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or all 6 of them (and so on)

hope this helps (i'm a language teacher, so i really hope so! let me know if anything is confusing)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tsai MingChih
Taiwan
flag msg tools
Wow, thank you ^^
I see, it so clear.

I wonder to know "any or all", because the ability of "mouse speed".

If it can help to re-arrange the mice, and "mouse speed" is a powerful ability!!!

Anyway thank you very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.