Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone read or heard anything about whether Portal is planning on Kickstarting the Master Set or releasing it traditionally to retail?

As a certified Kickstarter junkie, I'm hoping for the former.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Brueckner
Germany
Loerrach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would this be better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to it, but I rather not have to Kickstart it. I prefer when companies take on their own risk instead of just gaming with my money as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
millenium_baby wrote:
Why would this be better?

Opinions on KS vary, but here's why I like it:

1. Extras - stretch goals and add-ons result in a bigger game with more options. Many people think of exclusives when you mention this, but most extras are added to the main game and benefit everyone.

2. Information - Kickstarter campaigns throw the curtain back on the game's development, giving us more information on how the game plays than any retail previews. You also get to see the stages of development and how a game evolves through the process.

3. Community - Kickstarters rally supporters together, building community and exciting the fan base. Additionally, the campaign spills over into other media like BGG, Facebook, Twitter, etc., giving it more exposure.

4. Gamer Feedback - Many KS campaigns accept user feedback and modify the game in the development phase. This includes rule book clarification, changes to components, and adding gameplay elements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Rohrer
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
visit my blog at http://www.alittlelatetothetable.blogspot.com/
badge
“The way a man plays a game shows some of his character. The way he loses shows all of it."
mbmbmbmbmb
i doubt it will be kickstarted. ignacy doesn't seem to go the kickstarter route unless it is something out of the ordinary. the only two he'd done so far are the two books he's done. he already has a great group of fans who will be willing to buy the game sight unseen so the kickstarter isn't really necessary. but hey, who knows until it happens right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Pieczerak
Poland
Warsaw
liquid/solid (mixed)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LateToTheTable wrote:
ignacy doesn't seem to go the kickstarter route unless it is something out of the ordinary. the only two he'd done so far are the two books he's done.

There was also a campaign for the Polish edition of Among the Stars: The Ambassadors (successful) and another for a "(Portal) Gamer's Calendar" (failed) on Polish crowdfunding platform Wspieram.to. In both cases Ignacy was unsure whether people were interested in such products - so crowdfunding worked rather as a survey than a funding. And that's what he pointed out several times .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runar Dankel
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In his blog about the master set he didn't mention Kickstarter. Nor did he in his vlog. My money is on a normal release. And after the excellent changes he showed with Imperial Setttlers, it should be a safe bet that it is going to be awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.