Steve Larsen
United States
Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a way to download the entire database (even if just a few select attributes like rank, average rating, BGG rating and Amazon new cost)? (although more attributes like # players, ages, mechanic, etc.. would be helpful as well)

I often will browse online store sales and am always doing the sort of tedious process of:
1. See the game for sale
2. Check against my BGG Collection to make sure I don't own it already (yeah - too many unplayed games, so I forget blush)
3. Write it on a list (or put in an Excel list)
4. Go to BGG and write down a few of the key facts
5. Repeat 40 times or whatever for all the games
6. Analyze, sort, etc...
7. Buy a bunch of stuff.

Some sites let you download lists of games for sale. This would be perfect for just doing a vlookup to get the pertinent facts all at once.

(sorry if already addressed elsewhere - I couldn't find reference to it)

Thanks,

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delton P.
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just use one of the apps out there to do this? Then track whatever you want in the comments for that item so that you can do whatever you want. For both iOS and Android, just search for BGG in their respective stores for a list of some great apps.

Or export your collection as a CSV file, then manage it that way. You can make your own database with your information in it, or continue to use Excel for management.

Then again, you can just have multiple tabs open in your browser, so you can easily switch between the two and see if you have/want it.

You can also create a custom webapp/page that can do API calls with your info to present you the info that you want, and look up whatever you need.

Personally, using one of the apps available on the phone/tablet is what I consider the easiest/best way to do what you're looking for.

There's probably other options available that I'm aware of, and other's will surely chime in.

edit: remove snarky comment about db download

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larsen
United States
Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

I downloaded the app - that should be easier when in a store vs. trying to browse the full site from my phone.

One point of clarification:

I'm mostly looking for .csv or Excel-friendly list of games I don't currently own. I know the whole 60,000+ list is overkill, but if sortable by name, it would still be a huge time saver.

Yeah - the old multiple browser tabs is what I normally do now.

For example, I'm looking at a few hundred games for sale and I really want to be able to just quickly grab the key attributes for each game all at once from a list instead of having to go to each game's page and type/write all of the info. (then I go through and include/exclude games from my 'to purchase' list based on game attributes, ratings and cost)

Basically I'm trying to support my game hoarding collection habit as efficiently as possible.

Thanks again -- and thanks for such a quick response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know if you have any programming experience, but I just created an application for someeone else that prints out a list of ID's that are board games (not rpg's, not declined items, and more). You could edit it to write the names to an excel sheet.
One problem though... It takes a really long time to process all this data. The program uses your firefox browser to access every game page here on BGG (> 190.000 pages!). I put in a "safety wait", because BGG might have some program that blocks your IP when you fire too many requests in a short time.

I could share you the code if you want it and if you can edit it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larsen
United States
Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marco,

That would be great. I have a couple of friends that could probably help me make it happen.

Thanks,

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The code depends on Selenium. It can be downloaded at seleniumhq.org or via maven with:
<dependency>
<groupId>org.seleniumhq.selenium</groupId>
<artifactId>selenium-java</artifactId>
<version>2.48.2</version>
</dependency>

The code can be found here:
http://pastie.org/10616278
(I use an external website to keep the formatting)

It was made quickly, so please don't discuss the code quality...

The code can be edited to get the title of the game with Selenium and print that out too. Or wite it to a file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larsen
United States
Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great - thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.