Popov Victor
msg tools
hello! coudl someone tell me pls what parts do you need from the base ticket to ride game in order to make this extension work? would it be possible to buy just this and get the other parts elsewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
mbmbmb
You need replacements for plastic trains. Buying full set from Amazon or Ebay is so expensive that it's not worth it to buy official ones vs. just buying Ticket to Ride. So you need to find/make similarly sized trains for each player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bubu91 wrote:
hello! coudl someone tell me pls what parts do you need from the base ticket to ride game in order to make this extension work? would it be possible to buy just this and get the other parts elsewhere?

I'm sure you know this, but just to make the thread complete: as a base game any of these can be used:
* Ticket to Ride (the original, the one with USA and southern Canada)
* Ticket to Ride: Europe
* Ticket to Ride: Märklin
* Zug um Zug: Deutschland
If you intend to play with only 2-3 players, you can also use
* Ticket to Ride: Nordic countries (to play the Pennsylvania board, all the spare trains must be used; regular NC plays only need 40 per player but 45 are included with the game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Popov Victor
msg tools
Fomalhaut wrote:
bubu91 wrote:

I'm sure you know this, but just to make the thread complete: as a base game any of these can be used:
* Ticket to Ride: Nordic countries (to play the Pennsylvania board, all the spare trains must be used; regular NC plays only need 40 per player but 45 are included with the game)

thank you! i ll be getting nordic countries then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Vecstric
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You also need the rules for the original TTR since those rules aren't explained in the expansion rules.
then again, the half assed rules,again from DoW, doesn't fully explain how to combine it with neither TTR or TTR:E. Especially how many points some lengths of routes give isn't included in either those two or in the expansion itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Ezel wrote:
Especially how many points some lengths of routes give isn't included in either those two or in the expansion itself.

Isn't there usually a table right there on the map for quick reference? I have yet to see an expansion map that didn't include this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
murlough23 wrote:
Ezel wrote:
Especially how many points some lengths of routes give isn't included in either those two or in the expansion itself.

Isn't there usually a table right there on the map for quick reference? I have yet to see an expansion map that didn't include this.

The Pennsylvania map hasn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Popov Victor
msg tools
Fomalhaut wrote:
bubu91 wrote:

if say I buy Nordic Countries and after that the UK map, I guess I will be able to play the UK map only with max 3 players correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bubu91 wrote:
Fomalhaut wrote:
bubu91 wrote:

if say I buy Nordic Countries and after that the UK map, I guess I will be able to play the UK map only with max 3 players correct?

Yes, that is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Zeller

Illinois
msg tools
At the risk of resurrecting a dead thread...

We just bought this expansion map and use Nordic as our base, and play 2-person games. The only other map we play is Switzerland. Based on what I have pieced together there are some rules from the original TTR that we don't use in Nordic but should use in UK and Pennsylvania:

1. When taking train cards: if you pick a locomotive card, you don't get to pick two cards. (Unlike Nordic.)
2. Locomotives can serve as wild cards on any route. (Unlike only on ferries and tunnels in Nordic.)
3. Destination cards that players opt not to select are returned to the bottom of the deck ... or are they shuffled and reused when the deck has been emptied? (Unlike Nordic where they are discarded.)

Am I correct? Anything else I'm missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
benjaminz wrote:
1. When taking train cards: if you pick a locomotive card, you don't get to pick two cards. (Unlike Nordic.)
2. Locomotives can serve as wild cards on any route. (Unlike only on ferries and tunnels in Nordic.)

Yes to both. Nordic and Switzerland are the only maps (thus far, anyway) that allow you to take a locomotive and a second card on the same turn, and that restrict where the locomotives can be used.

benjaminz wrote:
3. Destination cards that players opt not to select are returned to the bottom of the deck ... or are they shuffled and reused when the deck has been emptied? (Unlike Nordic where they are discarded.)

Yes, return them to the bottom of the deck. This means that eventually, tickets you reject will start coming back up in the same order (though this is less likely with only two players). Nordic and Switzerland are the only ones where you throw out discarded tickets, unless you count the initial discards in Europe (so that the "long" tickets don't end up in the deck).

benjaminz wrote:
Am I correct? Anything else I'm missing?

Just remember that UK has no bonus for longest train or for most tickets completed (well, unless you buy the advanced technology card that offers such a bonus, anyway), and Pennsylvania only has a bonus for most tickets completed (just like Nordic does).

Oh, and that 7-train route at the bottom of the Pennsylvania map is worth 18 points. They forgot to include a score key on that side, and the only other maps with 7s are Team Asia and Marklin, I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Aha, I just remembered something else that you might have missed if you're used to playing Switzerland and Nordic. Both of those games use 40 trains per player. The base game uses 45, and I believe that's the amount you should use for Pennsylvania as well. (The Nordic train sets come with spares; there should be 45 in each set.) UK is unique in that you only use 35.

So, if you found it too easy to complete tickets in UK or too hard in Pennsylvania, that's probably why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Zeller

Illinois
msg tools
Thanks, David. Both your posts were really helpful. We started played it wrong the first time because we hadn't noticed that we were supposed to use 45 trains. It is in the instructions, but we actually only noticed it when we were checking something else mid-game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
benjaminz wrote:
Thanks, David. Both your posts were really helpful. We started played it wrong the first time because we hadn't noticed that we were supposed to use 45 trains. It is in the instructions, but we actually only noticed it when we were checking something else mid-game!

I think I've probably played every TTR game wrong the first few times. Even including the base game. When we first got it, I was the one in charge of interpreting the rules (it seems this responsibility always falls to me, then people get on my case when I don't remind them of certain rule quirks that might have made things easier on them), and I misread the turn actions and thought you had to take all three every turn - draw train cards, build if you could afford to, and take tickets. This meant that everyone was taking tickets every turn until the deck was exhausted, and being forced to choose the lesser of the evils among tickets they couldn't complete. It was still fun, but incredibly stressful at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
murlough23 wrote:
benjaminz wrote:

I think I've probably played every TTR game wrong the first few times. Even including the base game. When we first got it, I was the one in charge of interpreting the rules (it seems this responsibility always falls to me, then people get on my case when I don't remind them of certain rule quirks that might have made things easier on them), and I misread the turn actions and thought you had to take all three every turn - draw train cards, build if you could afford to, and take tickets. This meant that everyone was taking tickets every turn until the deck was exhausted, and being forced to choose the lesser of the evils among tickets they couldn't complete. It was still fun, but incredibly stressful at the same time.

One of my first games with some depth was the Swedish game Jorden runt på 80 dagar (lit. The Earth around in 80 days). In its rules, probably written by the game designer Dan Glimne, there is a section called ”How to learn the game”. It states that one person should spend an hour or so, reading through the rules three times and then explaining them to the other players:

Quote:
How to learn the game.
A few words of kindness to you that have the game in hand:
To just rip up the game and skim the rules (while the other stamp impatiently) hoping to get started in five minutes, is almost always a failure: some rules are misinterpreted in the hurry, others are forgotten and the beginning becomes a shilly-shally here and there.
It will be much better if you in advance spends some hour in peace and quiet to learn the game; this is, by the way, true for all games of some degree of difficulty […]. Do it like this:
a) Skim the rules once to get an idea of how the game broadly works. b) Carefully read the rules again, while studying the cards and game boards to get familiar with them. c) Read very carefully the rules for a third time, while you really think about how everything is connected.
If you follow this method, I guarantee much more joy and less rush when you start!

That principle I have taken to me, integrated in my basic knowledge of games, thus rarely – hardly ever! – misunderstanding any rules during play. Take it as a good advice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
That's a lot of time investment for a game that takes less than an hour to play, though. I personally learn better by doing than just by reading. Once I've played a game once or twice, I can go back and double-check the rules on things that aren't making sense to me, or that seem unfair or needlessly "fiddly". I really should have gotten the hint and done this after the first time through TTR.

In the case of TTR, since a friend had just bought it and brought it over for us to all play together for the first time, I really should have asked her to read through the rules first. I wouldn't bring a game to play with a larger group of people without first understanding how to play it. If it's just me and my wife at home, maybe plus one or two of our friends who typically play TTR with us, figuring it out on the fly isn't as big of a deal. But I definitely wouldn't "wing it" with a game that had more than a page or two of rules.

But then it could be worse. I once had a friend bring out the Battlestar Galactica board game when a bunch of us were over at his house. It took a good three hours to play because we had to keep re-reading the rules. He later admitted that this was a huge "party foul". (It was a fun game once we understood the mechanics, though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fomalhaut wrote:
bubu91 wrote:
Fomalhaut wrote:
bubu91 wrote:

Yes, that is correct.

Or buy extra train sets (I bought a 4th color--neutral--of wooden trains to use with the India map)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meeple source also has a set of wooden trains that you could get.

https://www.meeplesource.com/proddetail.php?prod=TicketToRid...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Fomalhaut wrote:
bubu91 wrote:

Yes, that is correct.

Or buy extra train sets (I bought a 4th color--neutral--of wooden trains to use with the India map)

Or buy Ticket to Ride: Halloween Freighter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.