Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Shields? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Buchanan
msg tools
1. Do they cancel out the claw die entirely or just one damage as a result of the claw die?

2 The dice with both shield and success count as both, correct? Or do I have to choose which icon to use?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sadler
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NinjaGigolo wrote:
1. Do they cancel out the claw die entirely or just one damage as a result of the claw die?

2 The dice with both shield and success count as both, correct? Or do I have to choose which icon to use?

1. Each shield result cancels one damage.

2. They count as both. You don't need to choose.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Johnson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Yeah we played that wrong last night. We were cancelling claws with shields instead of hits.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willy Adam
United Kingdom
Co. Down
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grodd1016 wrote:
Yeah we played that wrong last night. We were cancelling claws with shields instead of hits.


Ditto blush

And I already thought the 2P was challenging, it's going to get worse!

Still playing Quest 1, that I keep on failing but I enjoy it a lot. I know my first win is around the corner angry

Loving it more after each play all the same!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Do shields also protect against Nemesis damage?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
theclergy wrote:
Do shields also protect against Nemesis damage?


One shield symbol cancels out one wound, however it was caused
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willy Adam
United Kingdom
Co. Down
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
marlowc wrote:
theclergy wrote:
Do shields also protect against Nemesis damage?


One shield symbol cancels out one wound, however it was caused :)



I had understood that each shield only countered a single damage from enemy attacks (following the application of 'Scratch' symbols), not from damage incurred via Nemesis effect (if the initial question was about the Nemesis 'effect' die result). At least, that's how I played it.

Anyone else?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Turner
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rathmourne wrote:
marlowc wrote:
theclergy wrote:
Do shields also protect against Nemesis damage?


One shield symbol cancels out one wound, however it was caused



I had understood that each shield only countered a single damage from enemy attacks (following the application of 'Scratch' symbols), not from damage incurred via Nemesis effect (if the initial question was about the Nemesis 'effect' die result). At least, that's how I played it.

Anyone else?


Shields can't be used to block Nemesis effect damage. This has been confirmed by the designers.

Each shield blocks a single damage (not a single attack) caused by a scratch/claw mark rolled on the black dice.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Higdon
United States
madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
marlowc wrote:
theclergy wrote:
Do shields also protect against Nemesis damage?


One shield symbol cancels out one wound, however it was caused


No. Shields protect against damage from Enemy attacks, but not damage from Nemesis effects.

Look at the order that Action results are applied for clarification. This was confirmed by the designer in a previous thread.

*edit* Ninja'd
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rkhigdon wrote:
marlowc wrote:
theclergy wrote:
Do shields also protect against Nemesis damage?


One shield symbol cancels out one wound, however it was caused


No. Shields protect against damage from Enemy attacks, but not damage from Nemesis effects.

Look at the order that Action results are applied for clarification. This was confirmed by the designer in a previous thread.

*edit* Ninja'd


Oh dear soblue Yet another example of these rulebooks only communicating at all well, to people whose minds work in a painfully "procedural" way.
Perhaps not even to them in this case
We are talking about section 6 on page 4 of the Rules Reference. Being painfully procedural, if the shields cannot be used against nemesis damage, the nemesis effect should have its own section, section 7.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dava chido
Mauritius
msg tools
marlowc wrote:

Oh dear soblue Yet another example of these rulebooks only communicating at all well, to people whose minds work in a painfully "procedural" way.
Perhaps not even to them in this case
We are talking about section 6 on page 4 of the Rules Reference. Being painfully procedural, if the shields cannot be used against nemesis damage, the nemesis effect should have its own section, section 7.


Well, section 6 clearly shows that shield calculation is only for enemy attack as it appears nowhere else. Each enemy attack icon adding to a total enemy attack value then being reduced by 1 damage per shield.

So even non-procedurally the shield icon is stated to do nothing else. It does not appear in the nemesis paragraph or in the nemesis section. People are just reading the book wrong and assuming "Shield = -1 damage" all the time when it's not.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
davachido wrote:
People are just reading the book wrong and assuming "Shield = -1 damage" all the time when it's not.


The trouble is, in every other game I've ever played, shield = -1 damage is the way it works. So if you intend differently, which is fine of course - makes nemesis enemies more dangerous, it would be nice to make it explicitly clear. Doesn't cost anything
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dava chido
Mauritius
msg tools
marlowc wrote:
davachido wrote:
People are just reading the book wrong and assuming "Shield = -1 damage" all the time when it's not.


The trouble is, in every other game I've ever played, shield = -1 damage is the way it works. So if you intend differently, which is fine of course - makes nemesis enemies more dangerous, it would be nice to make it explicitly clear. Doesn't cost anything


You're arguing this over two threads now. I've answered this to your post in the other thread but for this post "In every other game", you aren't playing those games so don't bring rules over from those ones. In LoTR LCG you can only choose to engage one enemy from the staging area (Shadows in this case) I'm not bringing that rule over because it was like that over there.

The rules are explicitly clear, the reasoning is over in the FAQ thread.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
davachido wrote:


You're arguing this over two threads now.


I think you misunderstand my friend, there is no argument here
I am merely trying to draw attention to the way the rulebooks could be improved.
The designers of this game certainly read these forums, perhaps it may give them food for thought.

I have found many of the rules to be unclear as written in the books. Arguing with that is like contradicting my choice of favourite colour
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
marlowc wrote:
davachido wrote:


You're arguing this over two threads now.


I think you misunderstand my friend, there is no argument here
I am merely trying to draw attention to the way the rulebooks could be improved.
The designers of this game certainly read these forums, perhaps it may give them food for thought.

I have found many of the rules to be unclear as written in the books. Arguing with that is like contradicting my choice of favourite colour


If you think the designers wrote the rulebook, I have some bad news for you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dava chido
Mauritius
msg tools
marlowc wrote:
davachido wrote:


You're arguing this over two threads now.


I think you misunderstand my friend, there is no argument here
I am merely trying to draw attention to the way the rulebooks could be improved.
The designers of this game certainly read these forums, perhaps it may give them food for thought.

I have found many of the rules to be unclear as written in the books. Arguing with that is like contradicting my choice of favourite colour


Would you prefer I use the word debate? As you are stating here and in the FAQ thread that the shield rule is unclear. However myself and others are saying it isn't unclear you are just reading it wrong and assuming things (by your own admission) about the rules that are wrong. So there is an argument/debate of it.

There are some things that are unclear in the game such as interactions between certain cards, however the shield rule is quite clear. My counter point to adding more to the rule than there already is that it would just be making it unclear for no reason.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:


If you think the designers wrote the rulebook, I have some bad news for you.


Do tell
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
marlowc wrote:
kelann08 wrote:


If you think the designers wrote the rulebook, I have some bad news for you.


Do tell


Designers come up with game ideas. They do design work then pitch it to a company like FFG (sometimes FFG goes to them and asks for a game, but the rest remains the same). FFG then spends a great deal of time developing the game and fleshing it out. Then they write the rulebook based on the game presented by the designers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dava chido
Mauritius
msg tools
Most publishers, FFG included, get the designers to come up with the rules sure, but a technical writer is employed to maintain consistency and clarity in rules. Just like how the designer of a washing machine doesn't write the manual.

In some cases the technical writers encompass a whole team, such as magic.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
davachido wrote:
Most publishers, FFG included, get the designers to come up with the rules sure, but a technical writer is employed to maintain consistency and clarity in rules. Just like how the designer of a washing machine doesn't write the manual.

In some cases the technical writers encompass a whole team, such as magic.


Well, let's hope Adam plans to communicate some of the issues raised on the forums, to whoever it is writing the next set of rulebooks for this very promising game series.
It's still great to see him on here, even if he's not directly responsible for the books themselves.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.