Bob Gallo
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Been playing a lot of Star Wars Armada and X-Wing lately, but the gameplay feels lacking in comparison to my memories of SFB. Too much time invested in pre-game list construction, little or no dynamic movement on the map (ships converge to center, roll tons of dice, cross check the interaction of a bunch of upgrades, one side prevails, very few ships even cross the center-line of the play area)

So, I've been thinking about how to introduce SFB to a play group that believes Catan invented the hex grid. I've got some thoughts on writing an iPad app to handle the SSD/Energy Allocation, but first things first, rebuy the game and get a few games in with the few players I know that like old school games.

So, I have these wonderful painted mini's from Star Trek: Fleet Captains. Can anyone recommend a space hex map with sufficiently large hexes to accomodate the bases?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be what you need.

http://store.starfleetstore.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Scree...=

1.25" Hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't speak to Armada, but that doesn't sound right for X-Wing. We usually find battles going from one end of the map to the other and back again. You are playing with asteroids, right? They basically make that entire game, as the actual GAME, there, is about maneuvering with the terrain.

(Not saying SFB isn't great, of course, but maneuver is definitely emphasized a lot more than in SFB - SFB is more about pacing and precision, getting into just the right spot in the right arc at the right time, managing power and power reserves over time...energy management, generally, really...etc. X-Wing is about zipping around the map at high speeds and dodging behind rocks while trying to get behind your enemy. Very different games.)

RE: the idea of improving energy allocation in SFB - have you looked at the Federation Commander: Klingon Border line? It's basically streamlined SFB - for example, energy allocation is no longer done with a form, but by spending chits 'on the fly' over the round (mostly - you basically get the chits at the start of the turn based on how much energy your ship has, allocate a certain number of them to set a base speed for the turn and some multi-turn weapons, and then the remainder is used for firing same-turn weapons, adjusting speed, reinforcing shields, etc). It's still not quite at 'modern production values', but it's a huge leap closer, and I think most Eurogamers will be happy with it. Also: the hex maps it comes with have two sides, one printed at regular SFB scale, and the other side at a 'megahex' scale which should fit your minis just fine. Disclosure: you'll notice my name in the playtesting credits for a few games in the FedCom series. No financial stake in them, of course, I was just a long-time SFB vet interested in helping with the development of these and jumping at the opportunity to do so. I think the end result is a solid offering that does improve on the original, but I may be biased... cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

If you're thinking of teaching the game to newcomers you should look at Star Fleet Battles Cadet Training Manual, available as a free download from WargameVault.

StormbringerGrey wrote:
... old school games.

I'll have you know that you can now get SSDs... in color! Welcome to the 21st century, SFB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Rigillo
Italy
Roma
Rm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge SFB commander edition collector. I say collector cause unfortunately I had not much games and for the most part solo.
It's a great game but it's a hard game.
I second Mr. Fulton suggestion: Try Federation Commander to introduce new gamers. I 'm doing the same right these days. If they'll like it and they'll be thirsty of details, step "back" in the full SFB.
FC, I think,it's easier to find too.
Anyway you can still keep enjoying FC and all its expansions for long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.