Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JOE LIBRANDI
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Any suggestions for the German side? I'm playing the 10 turn game of Sickle Cut.

They manage to cross the Meuse at Sedan on turn one. They usually bypass the Dutch forts/units. I concentrate on getting the mech units as far west as possible as soon as I can. Supply is never an issue for the Germans until the last turn.

I have only reached Abbeville once. It seems that if they manage to reach Abbeville to cut the rail lines, too many mech units are placed OOS at the end of the scenario by the Allies.

Short of cutting the rail lines, the Germans can't get enough entry hexes closed.

After about five or six plays of this scenario, I have yet to win as the Germans, but I still enjoy this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Miner
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have me play the French.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GRS
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
Polish wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, at most of my early games, allies were a winners. Then it changed.
A lot of things depened on the allies random reinforcements. If they're coming in good time, allies can win quite easily, but if not, then the things are turning bad.
I usually ignore Namur area, gathering all my forces south, trying to go west as quick as possible, using infantry and mechanized infantry to estabilish supply lines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Thomas
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
Can he lead a normal life? No. He'll be an engineer.
badge
It is well that wargames are so terrible, lest we should grow too fond of them.
mbmbmbmbmb
This post has some advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loris Pagnotta
Italy
Brusaporto
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a newbie of France 40 but an expert gamer and I don't see how the German can destroy the French army and/or open the front line to reach Abbeville.
Surely with this Combat Table a decisive reduction of the French army is impossible, and the safely retreat through the first enemy ZOC hex, is another great help for French, to not mention of the Determined Defense rule.
The rules: DS and Overrun are a very low risk for the French and the Germans can rely only on a better staking and on the Stukas.
The example of the first Turn is distressing, it is the moment of the German surprise and the German makes only one attack with a high ratio, another with a decent ratio and two with risky ratio. This ended the example but if you continue it, when the French finishes his first movement phase, three PzDiv and one Mot Rgt are out of supply near Sedan and spent the second turn battling to reopen communications instead to expand the penetration: I'm really puzzled. I hope someone has found a way to play and wants to share his experience in detail
Is the first Simonitch game that I don't enjoy, there are many finesses but in the end is an old "I go - You go".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
I drink and I know things
badge
Night gathers and now my watch begins
mbmbmbmbmb
I have won this for the Germans several times and many other folks have as well. I'd give a small edge in balance towards the Germans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it much, but it seems to me that the germans need good luck to win. If they can cross the Meuse quickly, and french reinforcements don't come rushing in to create a continous line, I can imagine that it's possible to win as the germans, but if the french get decent units in every third hex, the going is very slow. It seems to me that results tend to be too static, with determined defence etc., unless you can get insanely good odds. And to get good odds, you must make so few attacks you don't get a real breakthrough. At least, that's how it seemed to me. Maybe the system is better for more grindy battles in which the front line just moves a few hexes at a time.

There are lots of things I like about the system, but this didn't feel like a very good scenario to me. I'm hoping the other scenario is better, and that the other games from Simonitch (like Normandy '44 and Ukraine '43) are better too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark Simonitch said to a group of us once that the extra four turns were there as a "safety valve" because winning in ten turns is a tough challenge for the Germans. Having the extra four turns means that there is no reason to stop the game early just because it is clear that the Germans are not going to make it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
We talked about adding two more GCG markers (bust out your d8's), as well as adding a +1 MP cost for the British and French units to enter each other's spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Grad
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who have won as the German side in the Sickle Cut scenario, have you done it via scoring points by closing Allied entry areas or were you able to earn the 10 points and prevent the Allies from tracing a rail or Line of supply?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two German wins in my logged plays. One was an Abbeville win and the other was an entry hex win. The one successful 14-turn draw in my logged plays was when the Germans went for the X entry hexes in the northwest, getting points for cutting the Allied supply line as well as per unit exited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.