Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my first game of Loius but I was fortunate in that my comrades had all played a handful of times and the rules explanation was very good.

The first thing to note about this play was how the time of the turns blew out as the game went on. After 5 minutes we had finsihed turn 1 and it was like, well this will be done in no time. Not true. The box says 90 but we were more like 120 at least if not more. Still it flowed reasonable well and you needed to be attentive to the detail of the moves.

The first lesson that I learnt was that there is no need to win in many cases. My first turn saw 5 influence on the Louis space, and although it netted me some fantastic rewards I wasted influence that turn, especially give that I had the final turn. In hindsight I am kicking myself, but it was a first game and I got a medium and a hard mission as a result so who was to complain.

I moved away from the tresures in the second and third turns and really needed to be more attentive to these as the core of scoring.

In the fourth I had a run of action which netted me a number of extra shields and managed to finsih close to the leader. At any rate I got the gist of the game, picked up some basic strategy and I am on my way to becoming a Louis fan.

I liked the variety of the benefits recieved from the cards. I was fortunate that my benefits were relatively straight forward, but I will enjoy getting others in the future. I liked the placng dimensions, though the board seems suitably condensed that the cards you are dealt seem to only restrict you on very rare occasions. You can usually adapt to the cards. Perhaps that levels things out. The theme I could leave or take, it was nothign special and I might enjoy somethign a little more racey. The intrigue cards were a little gutless, I think there needs to be an alternative function that you can use instead, like move one influence during scoring. I know they can be brilliant in the right place, but that will happen very rarely, kind of like how difficult the Mimics are to play in pairs in blue moon.

LAl in all though I really liked it. It got an eight and if it speeds up a little in teh enxt play and continues to open up strategy wise then I think I will upgrade it to a nine. Lets wait and see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Intrigue cards are better used proactively rather than reactively - get them in advance and plan around them, rather than just waiting until they happen to be useful. I had two in the last round and they both won me the tile, which is just as well as I had based my plan around them!

I think the length of the game was dragged out a bit by the slight loss of focus in the third and fourth round. When you have played the game a few times you find it is possible to do quite a bit of planning while waiting for other players. If we were to play again straight away I think we could easily knock 30-40 minutes off the game, probably more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.