Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Colosseum» Forums » General

Subject: TMG - Marketing plan? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drake Coldwinter
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it has been one full month since the expected kickstarter campaign.

When they announced the KS at first they told us it would be for middle of October, then they moved it to the end of October. The thing is, we had very very little information about the remake, we just got a single image the day before the kickstarter launch, some people complained because they didn't like it, and then suddenly the KS was delayed until 2016.

I was expecting TMG to organize and prepare for a full marketing campaign, showing us images here and there, some previews, something... One full month has passed and we got nothing, not a single image, no news nothing.

I'm just disappointed
I think TMG needs to engage a proper marketing guy and better prepare the launch of their games.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Better than a poor launch. No news probably means lots of unforeseen work behind the scenes to get it where they want it.

Jesse
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beazer
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
From the tasty minstrel newsletter, 10 November 2015... sounds to me like they are making good choices, and, as you suggested, trying to better prepare their launches. So, patience is in order.

Colosseum Kickstarter
It was painful for me to decide to delay the Colosseum Kickstarter. We had been planning for this October launch date for multiple months. However, many obstacles came together and it was more prudent to delay it.

Since we embraced the delay without any shame, we have been able to accomplish much. We have reviewed the physical stuff to go into the box. Finished up more artwork. Started the process of getting samples in advance and more.

If we launched in October, we would be in the position of requiring several months before we could start manufacturing. This is not a position that I like being in. This is what happened with Bomb Squad (but we didn't see it coming).

Colosseum will be one of the most expensive games that TMG has ever manufactured. It will only come behind the deluxe version of Orléans. As a result, we would like to make sure that we reach as many people as possible with the project when it goes live.

Now we have the time to do that also.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately (IMO), that doesn't sound like they plan on doing any significant reworking of the new artwork as some had hoped.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Grogan
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not particularly bothered by the delay, as Jesse said pushing out the date is preferable to a bad launch. I know everyone was bummed about the artwork (I'm still on the fence, I liked how the DOW version had a sense of Hellenistic era beauty in the artwork)but that won't keep me away from the TMG KS. I own many TMG games and I'm always pleased with their quality. I'll wait it out, if Colosseum is as good as Orleans it will be worth it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coldwinter
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you all misunderstood my comments, I don't mind the delay, I'm okay with it, my point was about the complete lack of information/marketing.

They should mark dates on the calendar to release a little something each two weeks, one single image, a single token, part of the map, a goal tile... This helps build some hype around the game and leads to a more successful kickstarter launch.

This complete lack of information worries me and I don't think it's positive for TMG, I'm stating they need to do better marketing of Colosseum.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd bet they'll make an announcement when they are prepared.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coldwinter
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not about making an official announcement with plenty of info and details, it's about releasing smalls bits of info an small parts of images to build hype.

Look for example the new Vinhos, we got to see the box, then a corner of the new plateau months before the release, then another corner of the plateau with some pieces...we saw a prototype...

Pleople got discussing about the changes and how it could affect gameplay, it builds hype and expectations and leads to a succeful reelease. Also it show the company it's working actively and constantly.

By keeping the lid shut like TMG does it doesn't build hype every other company releases bits of info and details and it works well, TMG doesn't do that and I think it hurts them
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simurgh did this leading up to Essen. They released a picture of a new dragon every day/few days leading up to the con.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coldwinter
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No need to release a picture every few days, part of a picture or comment or anything else once or twice a month would be enought to build hype.

Up until now we have the cover and the rules(without pictures).

How about an interview discussing some of the process? How about some comments about what could make it a deluxe version(plastic colosseums?).

I'm not even asking about pictures, photos, just anything at all, this project is too silent

When they posted the cover there was a huge discussion in these forums, it doesn't matter good or bad, there were people talking about, since then is pretty dead land here. People will forget about this game. I'm very afraid that next year they will anounce "hey people, finally we are ready in two weeks we launch the KS!!" Most of the people would have leaved these forums and moved into something else and the lack of info and hype will hurt colosseum for sure
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Grogan
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I completely see your point now... I was so extremely excited for the KS to start in October I'd check the Colosseum BGG page and the TMG website every single day hoping for any new threads or information. Then the announcement came that the launch had been pushed back... okay, that's all well and good. I'm patient, no problem. But now we've heard nothing... I've gone from checking every day to what? once a month? This month's TMG newsletter didn't even contain any new information about Colosseum. They've got to be working on the project, isn't there anyone there who could snap the occasional picture and post it to social media? That could at least keep us in the loop and keep us excited...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coldwinter
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not even a single line of comment about Colosseum in their January newsletter... Also you can see that the community is pretty cold about Colosseum right now, no new topics, no heated conversations... nothing
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacio Assaf
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I emailed TMG and they answered today. Thier response is below:

"The KS will launch early Feb. We are in the process of getting enough content and graphics and pieces made for a successful KS. Subscribe to the newsletter and you will be notified at playtmg.com."

Despite the box art issue, I am truly enthusiastic about seeing this classic get reprinted. Hopefully, they do it justice but I give them props for taking the risk.

Cheers
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coldwinter
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ks is in one month and they haven't still showed anything? You serious?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanya
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A new photo was posted a few days ago. Did you see that one?

drakecoldwinter wrote:
The Ks is in one month and they haven't still showed anything? You serious?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coldwinter
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw it, that's more like it
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Preder
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
drakecoldwinter wrote:
I just saw it, that's more like it


What image are you talking about? The columns? Surely that can't have you excited.

I really don't understand why TMG seems to insist on being so ill prepared for these KS. No advance hype, limited hype on the actual KS, prohibitive KS goals and buy in, abysmal delivery.

A number of people here have mentioned the lack of hype, and I agree. There is nothing here to be excited about, and supposedly this KS launches in less than a month.

I'm still upset about how abysmally the Kings of Air and Steam: World's Faire KS was run (failed miserably), and it doesn't really seem like they are learning from their mistakes. We should have "preview" shots of components by now. Some advance art..more than just the heavily criticized box art.

I wonder if they just figure since Orleans was successful, that Colosseum will be too and I highly doubt it will. Orleans was a really hot game overseas and at Essen prior to the TMG Deluxe version, where as Colosseum is basically a forgotten about game that gathers dust in most of our basements that we still have fond memories of. The bad thing for TMG is, that the original game had such amazing components, it's going to be hard to do something more amazing, other than capture and audience that prefers a different art style. If no game mechanics have been changed or enhanced (which is what I hear), then it's going to be a hard sell to many people in my opinion.

I'll definitely take a look at this one, but I'm a skeptical backer, as the original DOES gather dust in my basement. I hope TMG starts generating hype soon, because I feel another Kings of Air and Steam: World Faire coming on approaching.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Huffman
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
I work in marketing and I can tell you TMG needs help in this dept. I know I sound overly critical, but from what I see... "not good".

Secondly if their artwork is anything like that 60's-70's-cartoony-Hanna-Barbera-art that I see on the cover from the internet, I am totally not going to buy this. The art looks like a bad children's game you see in Toys-R-Us. Why not an epic art type you see in the "FF Lord of the Rings LCG"? OR BETTER YET, SIMPLY USE THE OLD ART?!shake

Thirdly, if this game gets over $70 this is another reason I am not going to buy it either (and I am sure it will because generally Kickstarters tend to get pricey).

I just don't understand why they can't give us a $40-50 price range with quality components like Days of Wonder produced. And if people want metal coins, and other add-ons.... fine.

I am bummed Days of Wonder just won't reproduce it, they did such a great job with their "regular" version that was better than other companies special editions. The old game is just so damn good.

But who knows, maybe I am wrong and it'll be the best reprint of all times (with amazing art and at a reasonable price).cool
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stinger8414 wrote:
I work in marketing and I can tell you TMG needs help in this dept. I know I sound overly critical, but from what I see... "not good".

Secondly if their artwork is anything like that 60's-70's-cartoony-Hanna-Barbera-art that I see on the cover from the internet, I am totally not going to buy this. The art looks like a bad children's game you see in Toys-R-Us. Why not an epic art type you see in the "FF Lord of the Rings LCG"? OR BETTER YET, SIMPLY USE THE OLD ART?!shake

Thirdly, if this game gets over $70 this is another reason I am not going to buy it either (and I am sure it will because generally Kickstarters tend to get pricey).

I just don't understand why they can't give us a $40-50 price range with quality components like Days of Wonder produced. And if people want metal coins, and other add-ons.... fine.

I am bummed Days of Wonder just won't reproduce it, they did such a great job with their "regular" version that was better than other companies special editions. The old game is just so damn good.

But who knows, maybe I am wrong and it'll be the best reprint of all times (with amazing art and at a reasonable price).cool


There wouldn't be a $40-50 version because there would be no way for it to be profitable at any reasonably expected sales level.

We cannot use the old art (even if we wanted to) because that is not owned by us nor the game designer.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MilkFromACow wrote:
I'll definitely take a look at this one, but I'm a skeptical backer, as the original DOES gather dust in my basement. I hope TMG starts generating hype soon, because I feel another Kings of Air and Steam: World Faire coming on approaching.


I don't understand. If you already own a copy and you're not playing, why do you care about the reprint?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Krakoff
United States
Massapequa
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael, I hope you guys aren't getting frustrated by all the negativity. For the record, I am really looking forward to the reprint, interested to see more of the art, and am excited to introduce the game to my family without having to search out an old DOW copy.

Thanks!
Matt
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Grogan
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DrMayhem wrote:
[q="Stinger8414"]I work in marketing and I can tell you TMG needs help in this dept. I know I sound overly critical, but from what I see... "not good".

Secondly if their artwork is anything like that 60's-70's-cartoony-Hanna-Barbera-art that I see on the cover from the internet, I am totally not going to buy this. The art looks like a bad children's game you see in Toys-R-Us. Why not an epic art type you see in the "FF Lord of the Rings LCG"? OR BETTER YET, SIMPLY USE THE OLD ART?!shake

Thirdly, if this game gets over $70 this is another reason I am not going to buy it either (and I am sure it will because generally Kickstarters tend to get pricey).

I just don't understand why they can't give us a $40-50 price range with quality components like Days of Wonder produced. And if people want metal coins, and other add-ons.... fine.

I am bummed Days of Wonder just won't reproduce it, they did such a great job with their "regular" version that was better than other companies special editions. The old game is just so damn good.

But who knows, maybe I am wrong and it'll be the best reprint of all times (with amazing art and at a reasonable price).cool


Well that escalated quickly... if you want the DOW version, just buy the DOW version! You can still purchase it from many channels. However; I am bummed that one hateful comment got a response from Michael within two hours. I've checked on this and the other threads for this game (which I will definitely back, TMG kickstarters are all great quality and well worth the price) and not once has someone from TMG said something to pump up the people who obviously are very excited in their brand and their products. Jacqui Davis is one of my FAVORITE board game artists and I'm looking forward to seeing the art that is created for this great game. There are so many people who have been patiently waiting and who deserve a comment to garner more support, much more than somebody who just wants to gripe about something they probably wouldn't have backed in the first place. We just want to know more about the project, give us a few crumbs! The hype will spread and the launch will be more successful. I've never been disappointed with a TMG game and the customer service is top notch as well. People who love your products want to be engaged in the process.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Preder
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
MilkFromACow wrote:
I'll definitely take a look at this one, but I'm a skeptical backer, as the original DOES gather dust in my basement. I hope TMG starts generating hype soon, because I feel another Kings of Air and Steam: World Faire coming on approaching.


I don't understand. If you already own a copy and you're not playing, why do you care about the reprint?


Originally I was hoping for possibly a few new mechanics or mini expansion to be included. I don't mind the new art, so I was optimistic. I still like TMG, and would love to see more like Orleans, I just don't see much success in this reprint anymore.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mkrakoff wrote:
Michael, I hope you guys aren't getting frustrated by all the negativity. For the record, I am really looking forward to the reprint, interested to see more of the art, and am excited to introduce the game to my family without having to search out an old DOW copy.

Thanks!
Matt


Not any more frustrated than normal. AKA, I am not because I don't read this kind of stuff anymore.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
adgrogan wrote:
DrMayhem wrote:
[q="Stinger8414"]I work in marketing and I can tell you TMG needs help in this dept. I know I sound overly critical, but from what I see... "not good".

Secondly if their artwork is anything like that 60's-70's-cartoony-Hanna-Barbera-art that I see on the cover from the internet, I am totally not going to buy this. The art looks like a bad children's game you see in Toys-R-Us. Why not an epic art type you see in the "FF Lord of the Rings LCG"? OR BETTER YET, SIMPLY USE THE OLD ART?!shake

Thirdly, if this game gets over $70 this is another reason I am not going to buy it either (and I am sure it will because generally Kickstarters tend to get pricey).

I just don't understand why they can't give us a $40-50 price range with quality components like Days of Wonder produced. And if people want metal coins, and other add-ons.... fine.

I am bummed Days of Wonder just won't reproduce it, they did such a great job with their "regular" version that was better than other companies special editions. The old game is just so damn good.

But who knows, maybe I am wrong and it'll be the best reprint of all times (with amazing art and at a reasonable price).cool


Well that escalated quickly... if you want the DOW version, just buy the DOW version! You can still purchase it from many channels. However; I am bummed that one hateful comment got a response from Michael within two hours. I've checked on this and the other threads for this game (which I will definitely back, TMG kickstarters are all great quality and well worth the price) and not once has someone from TMG said something to pump up the people who obviously are very excited in their brand and their products. Jacqui Davis is one of my FAVORITE board game artists and I'm looking forward to seeing the art that is created for this great game. There are so many people who have been patiently waiting and who deserve a comment to garner more support, much more than somebody who just wants to gripe about something they probably wouldn't have backed in the first place. We just want to know more about the project, give us a few crumbs! The hype will spread and the launch will be more successful. I've never been disappointed with a TMG game and the customer service is top notch as well. People who love your products want to be engaged in the process.


There are plenty of TMG folks all over BGG. Just not me, and they don't use the TMG logo for their avatar. Examples: Andy Van Zandt & Seth Jaffee

This is the first thread I have personally commented on in months.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.